Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Male cats vs female cats, which are more affectionate?

Lorddenning1 · 25/06/2022 21:32

I have had 2 males cats before, first one was a rescue and didn't really have time for me but cuddled my other half. Second male had wobbly cat syndrome and was a mummies boy.
I now have 2 females and I always thought they were aloof and not affectionate, but I was wrong, Bella is a snuggle bug and loves cuddles, all the time and she is so friendly and likes everyone. Rosie ignored us all the time and would run away from us, however other the last couple of months she is now my best friend, she comes in and chills with me in the couch, loves cuddles and she likes it when I hold her paw.
So I would say based on the cats I have had, females are more loving.
What's everyone else experiences?

OP's posts:
Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 25/06/2022 21:34

Boys in my experience

Please
or

CandyLeBonBon · 25/06/2022 21:36

Both

Please
or

ofwarren · 25/06/2022 21:36

I've got 2 girls and 3 boys and it's the boys in my experience.

Please
or

Shellsbelles · 25/06/2022 21:37

My experience is get a dog if you want affection. Or a cat that you know to be affectionate. Very few are ime, but there are exceptions.

Please
or

Sunshineandrainbow · 25/06/2022 21:38

Female cat was pinned to my lap, male cat has never sat on my lap but loves a fuss.

Please
or

Lorddenning1 · 25/06/2022 21:39

I have a dog too, she is 13 and loves her cats.

Male cats vs female cats, which are more affectionate? Male cats vs female cats, which are more affectionate? Male cats vs female cats, which are more affectionate?
OP's posts:
Please
or

FlyingFlamingo · 25/06/2022 21:40

My girls are aloof, they will come for stokes on their own terms - the little one when she’s hungry and the big one when she decides she wants my undivided attention, when she’ll meow at me until
she gets it but after a few minutes she’ll wander off again. They hate being picked up, the little one screams like she’s being murdered. They both like a blanket and if we put one on our laps they may on occasion grace us with their presence.
There are advantages to girl cats though - they don’t wander far, one rarely leaves the garden and the other is always within calling (ie food packet waving) distance Wink

Please
or

TheYearOfSmallThings · 25/06/2022 21:40

I'd say males but it comes down to the personality of the individual cat. My Dad has a female cat who loves him so much all other humans are invisible to her.

Please
or

OrangeSamphire · 25/06/2022 21:41

Of the 12 cats we’ve had in our family it’s definitely the boys.

The girls have been fierce and outdoorsy and companionable. The boys have been cuddly, lap cats and love being carried around.

I’ve noticed the same differences across the various breeds we’ve had.

Please
or

AnneElliott · 25/06/2022 21:44

We have 4 cats. The boy won't sit on laps but 2 of the girls will. The other girl will only sit next to you.

Please
or

ofwarren · 25/06/2022 21:44

Shellsbelles · 25/06/2022 21:37

My experience is get a dog if you want affection. Or a cat that you know to be affectionate. Very few are ime, but there are exceptions.

I don't agree with this. All 5 of mine are affectionate, the boys overbearingly so at times.
I have one boy who sleeps with me all night and today its been a battle of who to sit on my knee first between the other 2 boys. One of them literally climbs onto my chest so he can cuddle up to my face.
The two girls are on my knee less but they try to groom me every day.

Please
or

AmIAJoke · 25/06/2022 21:53

Boys in my experience. Have always had friendly boys whilst my friends girls have been shy/ aloof.
I’ve also noticed, again anecdotally, that tabby’s are often cuddlier than torties or black kitties who have been more aloof. Not sure if that’s an actual thing!

Please
or

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 25/06/2022 21:55

Ime it depends on the cat

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 25/06/2022 22:01

I would say 50-50
Had males and females, all different personalities. Currently have an all black male who is like a cuddly baby. I'm told black cats are well known for being friendly and affectionate, and sadly te hardest to adopt as some people are under the impression that they are bad luck 🤬

Please
or

LosDolses · 25/06/2022 22:04

We have two females that are incredibly affectionate.

Please
or

bravotango · 25/06/2022 22:08

IME males slightly more, but I've had vocal ginger Tom's that might be more affectionate than your average tom

Please
or

LilyMarshall · 25/06/2022 22:10

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 25/06/2022 21:55

Ime it depends on the cat

My too. My male was very affectionate and slept in bed next to me every night. One of my females is affectionate. The other female it is very much head scratches on her terms for a few minutes a week.

Please
or

DelurkingAJ · 25/06/2022 22:11

Our much missed male was affectionate beyond belief (with additional dead and alive presents at appropriate moments, I hated DH going away because it correlated with live mice being left on my pillow in the evening). Two females now, one would like to spend her day in a baby sling and grooms anyone she can get close enough to, the other is more picky but when she wishes attention with yell at you and then whack you with her paw until attention is provided.

Please
or

CuttedUpDress · 25/06/2022 22:16

Boys.

All my best cats have been boys.

Please
or

Lorddenning1 · 25/06/2022 22:18

@Georgeskitchen this is the main reason we got the 2 sister cats as I got them from a rescue and black cats often get overlooked. We actually picked them up on halloween, dressed as witches and devils as we had come from a halloween party.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 25/06/2022 22:18

I have a male female sib set. The boy is more affectionate with me. The girl is more affectionate with the dc.

My friend has two bald cats and they literally hug people. Both of them. Arms round your neck kind of hugs.

Please
or

honeybushbunch · 25/06/2022 22:18

We’ve had an aloof tortie girl cat in the past, and an angry but v dependent black boy cat; but the most loving one so far is a girl tabby who is a proper lap cat (she’s warier of men; but absolutely adores women and will constantly hover for strokes, chat all the time and hog laps for hours so you can’t get up!) So I’d say in my experience it’s very much a individual cat personality thing!

Please
or

RoobarbandCustud · 25/06/2022 22:20

No difference, depends on the cat's personality. I've got a male and a female and they are both mad about me. One snuggles into my neck and the other sits on my chest and gazes at my face.

Please
or

Inthesameboatatmo · 25/06/2022 22:28

My female cat is aloof but affectionate when she's hungry. My boy is very loving and gentle he's a mainecoon mix so it's the breed. My girl is more loyal though and comes back throughout the day and always at night . Both indoors/outdoors ,the boy comes back when he feels like it ,both spayed / neutered so he's not wandering for a shag he just can't be arsed to come back unless he's hungry. He moved in with some elderly neighbours of mine for a time .

Please
or

MagicalMystery11 · 25/06/2022 22:30

I think neutered male cats can be very loving. My last male cat was such a big baby. I've had some lovely females too but they are more aloof.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.