Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Trainwreck: Woodstock 99 on Netflix

NorthFaceofthelaundrypile · 04/08/2022 17:05

Has anyone watched this as yet? I watched it yesterday, and found it so disturbing. I’d have hated to have been in the midst of it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ReeseWitherfork · 04/08/2022 17:07

Oooo no I really want to see it, is it hard watching? I get quite frightened by crowd mentality and anarchy, so wondering if I can skip it.

Please
or

ReeseWitherfork · 04/08/2022 17:08

Should* skip it (of course I “can”, no one will force me!)

Please
or

badbaduncle · 04/08/2022 17:10

DB was there!!!! actually there!!!! Insanity. He managed to 'escape' before the end. He blames the line up and the frat boys. He said it terrifying.

Please
or

WhosthatGirlJess · 04/08/2022 17:13

I watched it all this afternoon, couldn't turn it off! At my current age I would have been terrified being in the middle of all that, but I guess at age 18/19ish and off my face, it might have all felt like a crazy adventure. Having said that, it seemed the show was building it up towards something huge and although what happened was horrendous, it wasn't on the scale of what I felt was implied to be coming (thankfully)

Please
or

WhosthatGirlJess · 04/08/2022 17:14

That's interesting @badbaduncle how old was he? I hope he was ok. The girl they interviewed at the end (Heather?) said it was bonkers but she'd definitely go back again. Guessing your DB didn't feel the same!

Please
or

badbaduncle · 04/08/2022 18:12

WhosthatGirlJess · 04/08/2022 17:14

That's interesting @badbaduncle how old was he? I hope he was ok. The girl they interviewed at the end (Heather?) said it was bonkers but she'd definitely go back again. Guessing your DB didn't feel the same!

He was 19 and on a year at an American College on a sports scholarship. He said the atmosphere was very sexually charged and he was frightened that there was going to be a horrific mass rape or some such nightmare. He also said it absolutely stank and Americans cannot drink at all and were so unwell. We went to Glasto in 2000 which went very wrong as well, and we were there as a family group of about 40 cousins. That was carnage but also very fun because it was a very non violent atmosphere and everyone just wanted to chill and see the band.

Please
or

badbaduncle · 04/08/2022 18:13

I haven't seen the doc - going to watch tonight. DB says he won't because he fears flashbacks!!

Please
or

Pinkflipflop85 · 04/08/2022 18:17

I found it equally fascinating and terrifying!

Please
or

NorthFaceofthelaundrypile · 04/08/2022 18:17

@badbaduncle - I can imagine it would be the cause of PTSD in a lot of people there. I couldn’t stop thinking about it last night.
It was like the end of days, or like something from The Purge.
I suspect there was rape on a mass scale, and felt that it was somewhat glossed over. I wonder if women will come forward as a result of this documentary.
I couldn’t believe Heather saw it through to the end - and her shirt was still so white on the Monday morning!

OP's posts:
Please
or

DatingIsDifficult · 04/08/2022 18:33

There were gang rapes there. It sounds utterly horrific.

Please
or

NorthFaceofthelaundrypile · 04/08/2022 18:41

The documentary said that 4 women came forward. With 250,000 people there, and the way that so many were behaving, I would not be surprised if the actual numbers were in the high 1000s.
The whole thing must have been terrifying.

OP's posts:
Please
or

littleducks · 04/08/2022 19:13

Watched after this thread and it's pretty horrific. Surprised at how young done if the attendees were like 14/15. The poor girl in the back of the van and it really sounds like the man just walked back into crowd

Please
or

HollyBollyBooBoo · 05/08/2022 07:46

Really want to see it but couldn't find it on Netflix in UK, am I being dim?!

Please
or

Pinkflipflop85 · 05/08/2022 07:51

It's definitely on there. Have just checked.

Please
or

Catmummyof2 · 05/08/2022 08:05

It’s on there, I watched it last night. I only intended to watch one episode but couldn’t stop watching it. I feel like the organisers had no understanding of the culture of some of the fan base of the line up they put together. The anarchic pack mentality is truly terrifying. I found it interesting that the documentary completely failed to mention that 3 people actually died as well as the countless others who suffered at the event.

Please
or

OldTinHat · 05/08/2022 08:37

I binged this on Wednesday and its still with me, if that makes sense. I'd never heard of it before.

I can see that Limp Biskit riled up an already volatile crowd and Fred saying 'it wasn't my fault' is outrageous because he could have brought them down.

The way the girls and women were abused is shocking, the photos of them crowd surfing and being molested are vile.

The organisers should have had better infrastructure in place. The cost cutting and having untrained teenagers as security was a big mistake. The water being contaminated with feces! Not having litter collected. They were treated like animals and they ended up behaving that way.

Please
or

1990s · 05/08/2022 13:28

badbaduncle · 04/08/2022 18:12

He was 19 and on a year at an American College on a sports scholarship. He said the atmosphere was very sexually charged and he was frightened that there was going to be a horrific mass rape or some such nightmare. He also said it absolutely stank and Americans cannot drink at all and were so unwell. We went to Glasto in 2000 which went very wrong as well, and we were there as a family group of about 40 cousins. That was carnage but also very fun because it was a very non violent atmosphere and everyone just wanted to chill and see the band.

@badbaduncle what happened at Glastonbury in 2000?

Please
or

Pinkflipflop85 · 05/08/2022 13:36

@1990s I think that was the year of the gatecrashers...

Please
or

LarryBlackmonsCodpiece · 05/08/2022 13:36

Nah will give it a swerve, it sounds horrific, women suffering terrible traumas time & time again, people dying, Netflix exploiting it, when does it end?

Please
or

kittykarate · 05/08/2022 14:17

I haven't watched the Netflix one, but there was a documentary about this on Sky Documentaries just recently Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage.

I thought the organizers were absolutely crackers - they were referring to one of them as the Willy Wonka of festivals, and that was so fucking true. Promised a lot and due to a lack of health and safety lots of kids got injured.

Please
or

IcedOatLatte · 05/08/2022 14:21

It must be on these as I've had one of the emails suggesting it to me, I wasn't aware of it at the time but planning on watching the doc.

Please
or

kittykarate · 06/08/2022 21:13

Definitely on Netflix UK.

Please
or

TheWeeDonkey · 07/08/2022 12:07

I can vaguely remember hearing about it at the time, because they we're charging $4 for bottles of water during a heatwave, people we're dying and being assaulted.

I've just watched the first episode and I can't believe how irresponsible the organisers were, but this is what happens when you put profit before people, the youngest person said the line up will attract a certain crowd but the others didn't listen to him.

You can see what problems will arise from the start. The moshpit at that Korn gig looked terrifying

Please
or

LibbyL92 · 07/08/2022 13:22

I’ve just watched it.

incredibly chilling… the girl in the van.

i cannot believe this happened.

how woman were treated as well. Horrific

Please
or

elp30 · 07/08/2022 14:05

@Catmummyof2

There was a documentary that appeared in 2021 called, "Woodstock '99: Peace, Love and Rage" that discussed the death of David DeRosia as told by his friend that accompanied him. There was also more talk about the sexual assaults of the young women.

Here's a trailer for that particular documentary:

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.