Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Burn all my Boden, this is why-

darcymum · 29/04/2010 16:02

I really like Boden clothes but just can't buy them any more.

1. Identikit clothes for the middle classes.

2. Boden clothes are very recognisable as Boden (make sure everyone knows you can afford them) I think that's half the point.

3. People show off about Boden (see above)

4. I have never been to a Boden sale but have heard they are a feeding frenzy, and for what, its only some clothes.

5. People see Boden as aspirational, they've made it if wearing Boden, I don't want to be associated with this materialism.

Anyone want to add to my list?

I'm not going to burn all my DCs clothes obviously, I'm just not going to buy them any more.
OP's posts:
Please
or

purplepeony · 30/04/2010 19:45

I think you/one must have a very low set of aspirations if wearing Boden means you have "made it"!
If you were wearing designer stuff like Prad, Margaret Howell and Fahri maybe- but Boden? nah.............

Please
or

Tortington · 30/04/2010 19:47

send you stuff to me - i'll stick em on ebay and make a fortune

besides burning them is against the law and creates toxic fumes ..ozone...some shit - give em me to ebay.

cheers

Please
or

EricPicklesFatNeck · 30/04/2010 19:47

does anyone wearing boden think 'i made it' sometimes mners just make stuff up to get cross and superior about

Please
or

Alouiseg · 30/04/2010 20:15

I expect "people who wear Boden" secretly covet Dolce e Gabbana.

Please
or

Bonsoir · 30/04/2010 20:36

I wear quite nice clothes and secretly covet Chloé and a lot more Marni. There's always another fashion opportunity out there

Please
or

mippy · 30/04/2010 22:36

"I don't understand why anyone would think that a someone would wear a logo to show off their wealth."

You didn't grow up in East Lancashire. There, the main judgement of quality is ''ow much wassit?' My nephew's last tracksuit was £80, and he wants the world to know it. See also: Jack Wills

Please
or

mippy · 30/04/2010 22:40

"People see Boden as aspirational? Seriously? Repeating previous posts I know but - really? I don't think Boden is particularly expensive and you can tell from the cut & quality (of the ones I have anyway)"

People who have less money than you, probably. Whatever that means. When I was a teenager, a friend's older sister said 'do you want to see my designer boots? They're from Faith.' If you live somewhere with no shops except for Debenhams and market-stalls aimed at teenage strippers, it seems super-aspirational.

Please
or

kittya · 01/05/2010 00:02

Boden is great if, like me, you cant be arsed or have the time to go shopping. I have never, ever paid full price as there are always loads of good discounts to be had. You just need imagination to mix their clothes. Their jeans are second to none and their shoes generally dont fit but, they plimsolls this season are fantastic. Everyone comments them wherever I go. Their nightwear for girls is fab quality. Their cardigans for women are usually good value basics. Im not a hater and appreciate that loads of is middle aged but, if you buy carefully you can manage to buy things that last for years.

Please
or

Sakura · 01/05/2010 00:13

"
You didn't grow up in East Lancashire. There, the main judgement of quality is ''ow much wassit?' My nephew's last tracksuit was £80, and he wants the world to know it. See also: Jack Wills "

Mippy, that was my point!!

Please
or

mippy · 01/05/2010 00:14

Ah, I see, I thought you meant that you didn't realise people did it!

i do really want one of their green cardis as it's exactly what I need for a customization project. Waiting for the sale, though.

Please
or

kittya · 01/05/2010 00:26

their knitwear washes really well.

Please
or

rubyrubyruby · 01/05/2010 15:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

thechronicalsofnarnia · 19/05/2010 15:36

Went to the boden sale at Woking today, was a bit disappointed I must say, i didn't get there until mid-day and there was hardly anything left but a lady in the coffee shop said that there is a place where you can buy second hand boden on the interweb called sellmyboden. Will check it out tonight methinks..

Please
or

thechronicalsofnarnia · 19/05/2010 15:37

just found it, its www.sellmyboden.com

Please
or

kittywise · 19/05/2010 16:01

I have a friend who buys and wears a lot of Boden. She goes to the feeding frenzy sales ( I would rather pull out my own fingernails than go to one of those).
She says all the mums at her school wear Boden. So what she does it keep anything she has bought in a cupboard for a year, wait until it is no longer what everyone else is wearing and then bring it out!
But Boden is Boden whether this season, last season. it screams Boden. I thought that was the whole point.
Over priced stuff it is.

Please
or

thechronicalsofnarnia · 21/05/2010 09:30

you are right, that is the whole point. It is expensive and I generally keep my ladies clothes for years (having said that I have just dug out a skirt to put on sellmyboden today) but its the kids stuff that you need to sell on because it is the only brand that still looks good after 50 washes. I just throw out 99% of the next stuff.

Please
or

mirandabyatt · 06/09/2016 07:42

I have just found Boden and the children's clothes are beautiful and reasonably priced. I don't see what all the fuss is about. If you can afford it why not. I will be buying plenty more clothes for my daughter but I will not be shouting from the roof tops about the label she is wearing.

Please
or

mirandabyatt · 06/09/2016 07:47

Wow I've just read some more comments on the thread and didn't realise it was so popular. My daughter's winter wardrobe consists mainly of Boden now and it is gorgeous I am now a fan of Boden but not of the women's clothing.

Please
or

idontlikealdi · 06/09/2016 07:51

10 years ago I liked it, now it's so cliched, same as Joules.

Please
or

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve · 06/09/2016 07:58

They are unimaginative, bland and over priced. I didn't think Boden was aspirational, quite the opposite. "Look at me, I have money but I'm not into fashion, I'm an intellect" ok making stuff up now

Please
or

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve · 06/09/2016 07:58

*intellectual

Please
or

DamnGood314 · 06/09/2016 08:03

It's not aspirational!!
It"s a bit embarrassing.
Next for people with a bit more money.

I have a few tops and dresses but they are plain and definitely not instantly recognisable. I get asked where they're from and cringe and change the subject.

Please
or

blueistheonlycolourwefeel · 06/09/2016 08:04

I don't buy it because I think it's poorly made, often using poor material and it doesn't suit my body shape.

Please
or

Glamorousglitter · 06/09/2016 08:05

Boden kids stuff is brilliant - as pp say, washes amazingly well.

Boden women's ain't my personal style, I wouldn't have thought it s aspirational, a bit recognisable yes, but not all of it. And again I ve had a cardi or two from them over the years that has lasted well so I reckon they re onto something :)

Please
or

DamnGood314 · 06/09/2016 08:06

Alouisebeg

Max Mara and Jaeger more likely!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.