Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Burn all my Boden, this is why-

darcymum · 29/04/2010 16:02

I really like Boden clothes but just can't buy them any more.

1. Identikit clothes for the middle classes.

2. Boden clothes are very recognisable as Boden (make sure everyone knows you can afford them) I think that's half the point.

3. People show off about Boden (see above)

4. I have never been to a Boden sale but have heard they are a feeding frenzy, and for what, its only some clothes.

5. People see Boden as aspirational, they've made it if wearing Boden, I don't want to be associated with this materialism.

Anyone want to add to my list?

I'm not going to burn all my DCs clothes obviously, I'm just not going to buy them any more.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Sakura · 30/04/2010 09:17

I mean, in the catalogues the material looks nice but it isn't when it comes through the post.
Got to admit the on-line ordering is brilliant, though.

Please
or

Sakura · 30/04/2010 09:20

Agree with NovaScotia for the women's stuff. Kids stuff is cute (over-priced though). Men's stuff is ok

Please
or

MarineIguana · 30/04/2010 09:22

This year's range is exceptionally bad for garishness and manky colour choices. I can't see anything I like at all, apart from their wideleg jeans which i stock up on in the sale.

Please
or

rookiemater · 30/04/2010 09:39

Oh FGS. I am 40, therefore I am middle aged. I do not have time to go shopping as work and have 4 year old DS, therefore Boden is dependable for ordering items. Agree some are odd, would never think of ordering a "fun" item, but for wardrobe stables there are decent tops and jeans.

Some of the items don't work so I send them back.

I do not buy Boden for status, tbh with the discount code it is usually cheaper than the alternatives i.e. Toast or Kew.

I cannot understand the vitriol it gathers.

Please
or

DomesticBlobess · 30/04/2010 11:40

How can you make such sweeping judgements of people you really do not know just by the clothes they happen to put on that day -

To quote some one above:

"My god, I wouldn't be seen dead in it. You might as well just wear a T-Shirt that says 'I'm shit in bed, and have completly given up on myself sexually'. ahaha.

Total alpha mummy, brown rice eating, packed lunch making, safe, safe, safe, boring look."

I just don't get this Boden hating stuff. Get over yourselves - it is really only clothes and there are much more interesting and worthwhile things to get excited about!!

Please
or

cyteen · 30/04/2010 11:43

DomesticBlobess great username!

Please
or

rubyrubyruby · 30/04/2010 11:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

traceybath · 30/04/2010 11:46

Well I've got the johnnie b skinny jeans (you know the teenage range) and they're fab.

But then I am mutton mummy

Please
or

DomesticBlobess · 30/04/2010 11:52

yes rubyrubyruby - they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and the same applies here.

If you hold an opinion of someone based on their t-shirt - then it is you with issues, not them

Please
or

rubyrubyruby · 30/04/2010 12:43

Please
or

Novascotia33 · 30/04/2010 15:17

DomesticBlobess, it's just a bit of tongue and cheek. Boden is not my cup of tea, and certainly nothing to aspire to, but I'm not a Boden hater, is anyone really a clothes 'hater'!

As you say 'it is really only clothes and there are much more interesting and worthwhile things to get excited about!!' Yes, agreed, but we are in a 'style and beauty' forum, it's not really meant to be all that serious is it???

My two cents gave me a chuckle, if that means my comments say something greater about me than those Boden devotees I'm pocking fun at, well perhaps that's so.

But, I do think you might be off on the wrong foot to thing this is serious discussion, or that any of us on here have actual convictions about Boden. It's just a bit of banter, breath...

rubyrubyruby - here's to sex on a bed of brown rice

Please
or

rubyrubyruby · 30/04/2010 15:28

Please
or

Mingg · 30/04/2010 15:42

People see Boden as aspirational? Seriously? Repeating previous posts I know but - really? I don't think Boden is particularly expensive and you can tell from the cut & quality (of the ones I have anyway). Would you not wear a real designer brand if your intention was to show off?

Please
or

biddyofsuburbia · 30/04/2010 15:42

PMSL Lauriefairycake!!!

I get boden stuff for the dcs cos its quick and easy, generally good quality, not because it's aspirational!! Mind you I found a nice kids boutique this week so temporarily jumped off the cloney bandwagon. I'm only writing on here cos of Laurie so I'm going. I don't care about Boden really!

Please
or

DomesticBlobess · 30/04/2010 17:53

Of course its only banter and not to be taken too seriously - its just that this Boden bashing theme is so on going that when I see someone wearing an obviously Boden item that against my better judgement I start to wonder whether they holiday in Cornwall, have children called Tabitha and Ruben, only shop at Waitrose, whether the husband in middle management is called Sebastian, do they have a labrador ....

Must stop reading these threads...

Please
or

Magaly · 30/04/2010 18:05

I think you're over analysing OP.

They do the odd nice thing and nobody's forcing you to buy it, although yes of course it's overpriced.

Please
or

AntoinetteOuradi · 30/04/2010 18:08

Don't see the problem. Either you like the stuff or you don't. Or it fits you or it doesn't (it doesn't fit me, sadly). Why turn it into a dilemma?

Please
or

Kathyjelly · 30/04/2010 18:21

I'm struggling with urge to laugh. Who cares if the owner is mates with David Cameron. My skirt is for covering my bottom. If anyone thinks I'm thinking politics when I get dressed in the morning, they clearly have no idea how rushed my mornings are.

Please
or

saslou · 30/04/2010 18:27

For DD I like Jo jo maman babe. Quality is consistently good and clothes look like they are made for children, not mini teens. For myself I would like some clothes to make me look 2 stone lighter and effortlessly glamourous. If anyone knows of a place to get such items, please share.

Please
or

FranSanDisco · 30/04/2010 18:30

I wear Boden but then I'm a middle aged under grad who can't get out to the shops due to assignment deadlines! Round here Primark is aspirational and muffin tops rule. In comparison I'm very WI and boring in my Boden - hardly showing off.

Please
or

Tocca · 30/04/2010 18:33

Do people really show off about Boden? I've never ever heard it and I'm pretty sure I live in prime Boden territory (I see a lot of kids in it, but hardly any adults tho, I think). And really NOT aspirational in the slightest. It's just clothes from a catalogue. That's all.

Please
or

Bonsoir · 30/04/2010 18:36

I like the dead plain long-sleeved t-shirts for DD - good for school. And last summer she had some great shoes - faux Birkenstocks in gold and silver. But mostly I have found the quality lacking, and the ironing far too complicated. So no more dresses from Boden for us.

Please
or

luminousloopylou · 30/04/2010 18:48

Did anyone see the BBC series "mutial friends" with the comedian guy who ran "Quecumber" clothing? it was such a p**stake of Boden, Joules and the like.
I find the whole Boden lifestyle thing too cliched. Its too clean cut. Thankfully life is not that boring!

Please
or

MorrisZapp · 30/04/2010 19:15

But it's just clothes. That's all it is.

I don't really get all the analysis and vitriol myself.

There are any number of clothes shops out there that I would never shop in, all I do is walk past them (or not visit their website).

I don't feel a need to make a statement as to why I don't shop there.

If you like the clothes but won't wear them for the reasons you gave then you are as shallow and materialistic as the people you claim to despise.

Btw I went to one of the clothes sales - it was an eye opener! Seeing all those clothes presented in smelly plastic tubs in a leaky scout hut certainly removed much of the glamour of the catalogue.

I haven't bought as much stuff there since - it's like the mystery has gone!

And to those pretending to think that Boden 'isn't expensive' well of course that's all relative, but £70 for a casual skirt is waaay more expensive than I'd normally spend, and I'm 38, MC etc. How much do you lot expect to spend on a skirt?

For many/ most people, Boden is expensive.

Please
or

EricPicklesFatNeck · 30/04/2010 19:18

they have a good website and returns policy. whats not to love?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.