Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Burn all my Boden, this is why-

darcymum · 29/04/2010 16:02

I really like Boden clothes but just can't buy them any more.

1. Identikit clothes for the middle classes.

2. Boden clothes are very recognisable as Boden (make sure everyone knows you can afford them) I think that's half the point.

3. People show off about Boden (see above)

4. I have never been to a Boden sale but have heard they are a feeding frenzy, and for what, its only some clothes.

5. People see Boden as aspirational, they've made it if wearing Boden, I don't want to be associated with this materialism.

Anyone want to add to my list?

I'm not going to burn all my DCs clothes obviously, I'm just not going to buy them any more.
OP's posts:
Please
or

APassionateWoman · 29/04/2010 20:26

'I have aired my views on 'fun' and 'hotchpotch' a number of times'

PMSL

bellisima, that is quote of the week material.

'Fun' always makes me cackle! The 'fun' dresses always have absolutely barking prints, like something you'd pull out of a 1970s child's dressing up box.

I also particularly hate the macs. Something horribly Alpha Mummy about them.

I was browsing the kid's clothing section and saw they are charging £45 for a pair of boys surf shorts you could buy for £15 in Next. i mean, almost identical. Johnnie Boden really is the King of 'Saw you coming!'.

Please
or

bellissima · 29/04/2010 20:38

Hmmm - you must be stuck for quotes of the week! Try the debate (DH is, despite having no vote - so I'm about to go for the iplayer). Or 'bigoted woman'. Or some of the Chat threads, where things seem to be getting really playground nasty today . Actually maybe boden at least 'safe', in every boring sense of the word..

Please
or

pointydog · 29/04/2010 20:39

I'd only heard of boden from a few reasonably well-to-do friends. I don't buy boden but if you like their stuff, why stop yourself?

You could make statements 2-5 about pretty much every clothes brand

Please
or

detoxdiva · 29/04/2010 20:40

"All my home cunties friends wear Boden (including me)"

No, surely that is the quote of the week!!

Please
or

bellissima · 29/04/2010 20:41

Or 'come Acropolis'?

Please
or

rubyrubyruby · 29/04/2010 20:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

bellissima · 29/04/2010 20:44

Did you know that Bucks is officially not a home cunty? Sure feels like pleasant valley land to me.

Please
or

rubyrubyruby · 29/04/2010 20:46

Please
or

LynetteScavo · 29/04/2010 20:49

Is Boden still aspirational? Maybe 10 years ago, but personally I've moved on.

But then I've heard owning a chocolate Lab is aspirational....

I used to buy boden, but have decided the quality is pants, and have gone back to Gap for the DC. I do love the sale though, I find it hilarious.

Please
or

MarineIguana · 29/04/2010 20:58

And "sassy" bleurgh

However I agree with bellissima, you can do boden your own way. You can choose the stuff that screams "BOOOOOOOODEN" as you prance off on the school run with your matching DC, or you can pick and choose so that you don't look like a spotted, striped, garish, prissy "sassy" dog's breakfast. I like their jeans and I've got a couple of dresses that I love.

Also the boys coats and t-shirts though expensive are a good buy - they last brilliantly.

It's the same with a lot of places - I like white stuff a lot, but I avoid the identikit white-stuff-lady items.

Please
or

Earthstar · 29/04/2010 20:59

Boden is getting to be as ubiquitous as Next, and about as desirable.

When I see it on women now it is rare that they look good in it.

Please
or

lovemyangels · 29/04/2010 21:00

Never heard of it till I came on here and I think agree with ThorNodson its a bit frumpy, though DS was bought a T Shirt from them which is v good quality but design wise aint all that!

Please
or

Jajas · 29/04/2010 21:01

Please
or

Earthstar · 29/04/2010 21:15

Anyway all uk customers should boycott boden because Johnnie favours US customers in all his sales and won't publish clothing reviews unless they are sufficiently glowing...

Please
or

hf128219 · 29/04/2010 21:17

Boden is dreadful. How can something that is so grim be aspirational?

Please
or

MarineIguana · 29/04/2010 21:21

I certainly don't see it as aspirational - I'm a bit embarrassed if I wear anything boden and it gets recognised. Not because it's either posh/expensive or not posh/expensive enough, just because it's such a cliched mumsy look.

Please
or

wineismysaviour · 29/04/2010 21:35

LOL at Fairycake calling herself a 'cuntie'...

Please
or

Novascotia33 · 30/04/2010 09:00

My god, I wouldn't be seen dead in it. You might as well just wear a T-Shirt that says 'I'm shit in bed, and have completly given up on myself sexually'. ahaha.

Total alpha mummy, brown rice eating, packed lunch making, safe, safe, safe, boring look.

Totally agree with ThorNogson, I'd rather have 1 thing from Liberty than 20 things from Boden. It's sooo not beautiful in any way at all.

Please
or

pagwatch · 30/04/2010 09:05

It really isn't aspirational. It is no more so than Gap - aspirational only if you usually shop at Primark or Next .

[clothing snob]

Please
or

cornsilk · 30/04/2010 09:08

I buy Boden because it's easy and I find it hard to get to the shops.Most online shopping is pants (am still waiting after nearly 2 weeks to be refunded by wrap grrrr) and Boden's customer service is great. I also gets lots of stuff in the sale. I only ever get full price stuff for the ds's. It's not aspirational but it is convenient.

Please
or

Sakura · 30/04/2010 09:08

I don't understand why anyone would think that a someone would wear a logo to show off their wealth. Where I come from the wealthier you were the least likely you were to wear a brand (or an obvious brand).
But agree with some of what you say. I don't know why people over-rate Boden clothes on Mumsnet. The materials they use are cheap, but look like they wouldn't be on the catalogues.

Please
or

warthog · 30/04/2010 09:09

agreed sakura.

if you're really wealthy you don't shout it from the rooftops. understatement dahling.

Please
or

bunnymother · 30/04/2010 09:10

What NovaScotia said.

Please
or

warthog · 30/04/2010 09:11

SMUG

Please
or

waitingforbedtime · 30/04/2010 09:13

I had never heard of Boden until I joined mumsnet. I wouldnt recognise if someone was wearing it either so wouldnt be impressed / unimpressed.

From having a quick look at their website - their clothes are very erm.....middle aged.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.