Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How wonky is it...photos

46 replies

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 09:11

My hair was medium to long. Wanted it shorter, just slightly below my shoulders.
First hairdresser did it and it wasn't quite short enough, so I asked another to come to my house and just cut off an inch, so it would sit where I want it.

It's horrendous. She cut off around 3 inches. It's not level. Obviously so and I can't wear it down. I could complain but what's the point. All she can do is cut it one length but at the shortest point, it's quite short and it would end up chin level!

Can you see what I mean??

What is the best thing to do? I'm so sad. I was thinking I just need to grin and bear it until it grows a few inches, then get it tidied??

How wonky is it...photos
How wonky is it...photos
OP posts:
Please
or

Turnaroundandigone · 05/10/2022 09:13

It's very wonky I'm afraid. I would be getting someone else to fix it and sending the bill. Wouldn't let them near my hair again.

Please
or

Regularsizedrudy · 05/10/2022 09:14

At the end of the first hairdresser appt presumably they asked if you liked it? Why did you not say then and there that you wanted it shorter???

It does look longer on one side but it could just be how you’ve parted your hair. It would not end up chin level if you cut it again, don’t know why you think that?

Please
or

Paq · 05/10/2022 09:16

Well, it's very, very wonky! What is going on with hairdressers at the moment? I've had cut after cut which has been dreadful. The last one left me in tears.

Your hair is uneven but actually doesn't look too bad. I'd ask for a refund and just wait for it to grow.

Please
or

LeandraDear · 05/10/2022 09:18

Did she cut it while in middle parting and you now have dried it in side parting?

Please
or

RiftGibbon · 05/10/2022 09:19

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I'd gone to the salon as a model and the trainee was "levelling " my hair from the centre. I don't wear it in a centre parting, and explained, and this threw them completely. Fortunately they'd not taken much off and a more experienced stylist was on hand to sort it out.

You need to let them know and see what their proposed fix is. Layers might help to hide the unevenness a bit?

Please
or

VeridicalVagabond · 05/10/2022 09:23

It is very uneven - I wouldn't want her touching my hair again though. Does she work out of a salon typically or is she independent?

Please
or

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 09:23

@Regularsizedrudy firstly, it's my fault. I felt bad asking for more. Basically she talked throughout, never askedmif I was happy or wanted more off. We discussed how much she would cut off and I was happy with this. However, she started at the back. By the time she got to the front I realised it wasn't quite as short as I had hoped but she had someone else waiting.
There are some shorter parts at the side and if she cut it all that length, it would be very short!

Ironically when the second hairdresser came, she asked who had done my hair the first time and said it was very uneven!! I didn't even notice but I noticed it this time.

In my photo one side looks several inches shorter!!

Should I say something? I feel really bad.and part of my thinks it's pointless as it's inches shorter than I wanted, somi don't want more off.

how can it go so wrong. I have boring, one length hair. Hardly a challenge for a qualified hairdresser.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fcuk38 · 05/10/2022 09:25

It loooks like they cut it in a parting and you now have it in the centre. It should be cut in the centre.

Please
or

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 09:25

Sorry others have had similar experiences!

She works independently coming to houses. I had her twice before and my hair wasn't wonky!

My hair or slightly parted on the side. She usually asks about my parting. I assumed she was cutting from where it naturally fell and my parting is slightly off centre, not inches off!

OP posts:
Please
or

ThorsBedazzler · 05/10/2022 09:28

It is wonky. Can you swap sides your parting is on to see if that evens it up a bit? Then after a month or so growth go back and get it all trimmed to try and even up?

I ask for a 1 length Bob haircut. Every time hairdressers cut layers in. I explain why I don't want them. They nod. Cut layers.

This cut, 6 weeks ago, I got a lot taken off and wanted just below shoulders. Hairdresser suggested just above, a tiny tiny tiny amount more off apparently. Because I have wavy hair (reason I don't want layers as i end up with wide hair) it ended up fucking chin level.

It's taken 6 weeks to get to a length that is just nearly ok. Nearly.

But... hair grows back. Lessons learnt etc. I feel your pain.

Please
or

EarringsandLipstick · 05/10/2022 09:29

Sorry OP, that's dreadful. It's not just the parting, the overall cut is uneven and badly done.

I think I would complain, sending photos, but not have much expectation that she'll do anything or refund you.

I would pay for a decent cut, it's worth it to fix it.

Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 05/10/2022 09:29

Go somewhere else , it'll look lovely when it's tidied up properly, do NOT go back to the same hairdresser, I would email.heanahwr though including the photos and ask for a refund.

Please
or

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 09:35

Thanks all for confirming it's wonky. I think if it was below my shoulders it wouldn't be do bad but some parts are slightly past my shoulders and other parts don't reach my shoulders, creating a gap.

I hate layers. I've never, ever had a positive experience getting layers with a hairdresser. It was very clear it was meant to be one length. As she started cutting into it, she said not to worry- she wasn't giving me layers, just doing something to the ends!

OP posts:
Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 05/10/2022 09:40

You could have a few long layers just at the front to blend it in and turn grow it out. A good stylist will make it look nice. I'd be furious!

Please
or

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 09:52

The worse thing is that it should have been so straightforward. All she hasld to do was cut an inch off the length. It was a trim!!
3.inches she cut off! And in a wonky fashion.

I have little self confidence and was looking forward to getting my hair done. I'm fed up of paying for incompetence!

I'm also fed up of spending money and having to think "oh well, a few months it'll grow". I've paid to endure months of looking crap!

OP posts:
Please
or

AndSoFinally · 05/10/2022 11:17

Have it all cut to the same length as on the left and just leave the long layers in the front. I think it looks nice that length!

Please
or

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 11:20

Ok, I've washed it and stuck some curls in to hide some wonkiness...

How wonky is it...photos
How wonky is it...photos
OP posts:
Please
or

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 11:21

I still want it to grow another 2 inches!

Should I say something to the hairdresser?

OP posts:
Please
or

Interestingmauve · 05/10/2022 11:24

I think you've got your head tilted towards the longer side which might be making it look worse than it is?

I actually prefer the length on the shorter side though, so ideally have someone even it up.

Please
or

GoldenElephant · 05/10/2022 11:27

I think you've got your head tilted towards the longer side which might be making it look worse than it is?

I actually prefer the length on the shorter side though, so ideally have someone even it up.

Yes to the tilting. Actually it looks quite easy to trim that side yourself.

Please
or

KylieCharlene · 05/10/2022 11:28

No advice just want to say your hair looks blooming fantastic curled.

Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 05/10/2022 11:29

I prefer the side which looks like it has layers too.

Please
or

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 11:34

I don't think my head is tilted in my first pictures. I made a conscious effort to face straight!

I'm too scared to try and cut it myself. I'm completely incompetent! Although so is the hairdresser it seems.

@KylieCharlene thank you. It's still too short but it's better than it was straight!

OP posts:
Please
or

TabithaTittlemouse · 05/10/2022 11:35

Blueberrydelight · 05/10/2022 11:20

Ok, I've washed it and stuck some curls in to hide some wonkiness...

It looks beautiful styled like that! I have hair envy (and top envy! Where is it from?)

Please
or

tiddlywinks2 · 05/10/2022 11:52

It's very wonky. I'm a hairdresser and I can't believe she left you like that, let alone how she managed to do that.

It does look like she hasn't cut with your parting in mind. Did she style it with your parting? I would definitely say something, I also want to know if my clients are unhappy.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?