Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

Expensive hair & understated clothes. WTF is it?

280 replies

follyfeet · 04/10/2022 18:59

Was just reading an old S&B thread about 'looking well put together,' not flashy or designer, just everyday casual yet decent clothes. Apart from the stereotypical claptrap concerning Barbour jackets and dog hair, it was a fascinating read!

What I can't get my head around is 'expensive' hair. Wtf is it exactly? Most of us can't help the way our hair grows (thickness, texture, porosity) so how can one alter that? I always imagine this is all quite subjective anyway, but for the sake of sticking to the theme, my very own blonde version of Kate Bush or Helena Bonham Carter (a bit mad, kinky and wild) wouldn't make the cut, lol.

It's all fashion isn't it at the end of the day? Today's preferred expensive hair is most likely Kate Middleton's, but that wasn't always the sought after style.

So what is expensive hair, in your opinion?

And then there's the clothes! Where are these 'well put together' peeps MN'ers speak of buying their togs? I like the idea of understated, which is mentioned often, but no one ever mentions the actual shops. Where are these lovely exquisite chunky knits and other understated items hiding? Most of the higher end high street sucks imo.

Some comments mention wealth or class, but having been surrounded with well off arty types throughout my career I only noticed a lack of make up and a lot of frizz. No one seemed to care.

I am in my early 40's, work in art (painter) and science (geologist), and love yoga, theatre, hiking and architecture, and I dress quite boringly, I think. I spend £150 per year on my hair and buy most of my clothes from superdry or white company (i suit their colour scheme). I don't seem to have a clue about style tbh, but I would like to learn more. Clue me in Mumsnet! I can never find shops with nice things that aren't either country casuals or overpriced cheap rubbish.

OP posts:
Please
or

twistyizzy · 11/10/2022 09:37

antelopevalley · 11/10/2022 09:30

Chrissie Hynde is not at all understated!
She does not have expensive hair.
She just continues to rock it and have fun. Much more admirable.

The point I was making is that she wears some of the brands which have been dismissed as granny clothes/boring etc. I wasn't trying to say she was understated or had expensive hair

Please
or

MichelleScarn · 11/10/2022 09:51

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 16:43

18 years old is an adult. But I do not like harsh judgements on anyone's appearance.

But yet you say this?
antelopevalley · 06/10/2022 13:57

Boring as fuck in otherwords.
I mean if you want to look like your gran when you are much younger up to you, but i beats me why younger women with money would dress like that.

Maybe she knows her own likes?

Please
or

Cam22 · 11/10/2022 14:48

MichelleScarn · 11/10/2022 09:51

But yet you say this?
antelopevalley · 06/10/2022 13:57

Boring as fuck in otherwords.
I mean if you want to look like your gran when you are much younger up to you, but i beats me why younger women with money would dress like that.

Maybe she knows her own likes?

Quite. I also know an agenda when I see one. 🙄

Please
or

antelopevalley · 11/10/2022 15:52

I was commenting on clothes, not personal appearance. You choose your clothes. You do not choose your face or type of hair.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 11/10/2022 15:54

It would also have been nice if you included the context. I do not think I was talking about an individual. I think was talking about certain brands of clothes.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?