Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

Expensive hair & understated clothes. WTF is it?

280 replies

follyfeet · 04/10/2022 18:59

Was just reading an old S&B thread about 'looking well put together,' not flashy or designer, just everyday casual yet decent clothes. Apart from the stereotypical claptrap concerning Barbour jackets and dog hair, it was a fascinating read!

What I can't get my head around is 'expensive' hair. Wtf is it exactly? Most of us can't help the way our hair grows (thickness, texture, porosity) so how can one alter that? I always imagine this is all quite subjective anyway, but for the sake of sticking to the theme, my very own blonde version of Kate Bush or Helena Bonham Carter (a bit mad, kinky and wild) wouldn't make the cut, lol.

It's all fashion isn't it at the end of the day? Today's preferred expensive hair is most likely Kate Middleton's, but that wasn't always the sought after style.

So what is expensive hair, in your opinion?

And then there's the clothes! Where are these 'well put together' peeps MN'ers speak of buying their togs? I like the idea of understated, which is mentioned often, but no one ever mentions the actual shops. Where are these lovely exquisite chunky knits and other understated items hiding? Most of the higher end high street sucks imo.

Some comments mention wealth or class, but having been surrounded with well off arty types throughout my career I only noticed a lack of make up and a lot of frizz. No one seemed to care.

I am in my early 40's, work in art (painter) and science (geologist), and love yoga, theatre, hiking and architecture, and I dress quite boringly, I think. I spend £150 per year on my hair and buy most of my clothes from superdry or white company (i suit their colour scheme). I don't seem to have a clue about style tbh, but I would like to learn more. Clue me in Mumsnet! I can never find shops with nice things that aren't either country casuals or overpriced cheap rubbish.

OP posts:
Please
or

justasking111 · 10/10/2022 12:32

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 11:21

Lady Louise is being pushed on the public by the Royal Family. Two years ago virtually no one knew who she was. If you seek publicity, some of the reaction will be positive, some will not. That is the nature of the game.
And if she is so protected and young in her ways, the family had no right pushing her to the fore.

They're short staffed and no it isn't fair. But apparently Beatrice and Eugenie didn't treat Catherine very well being entitled and snobbish back in the day. More like their dad than their mum.

Please
or

PedantScorner · 10/10/2022 12:41

@antelopevalley , Lady Louise is being pushed on the public by the Royal Family. Two years ago virtually no one knew who she was.
She isn't being pushed on the public. Two years ago, she was a child.
She is the King's niece, people are interested in her, just like they were interested in Lady Sarah A-J at that age.
I think she looks and seems like a lovely young woman.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 12:45

They really were not interested in her. Early articles in papers and posts on here got zero or few comments. No one was interested because she was unknown.
Being a child is not an issue. People are very interested in George, Charlotte and Louis.
With more and more articles about Louise, people gradually became more interested.
She has been pushed on us - very gently pushed, but pushed nevertheless.
When you seek media, you get negative and positive comments.

Please
or

AuntSalli · 10/10/2022 12:48

Well I hope for Lady Louisa‘s sake they remain uninterested in her and let the girl enjoy a normal quiet life.

Please
or

PedantScorner · 10/10/2022 12:53

George, Charlotte and Louis are the King's grandchildren and are #3, 4 and 5 in line to the throne, so do not compare.
Louise compares more with Bea. and Eug, or Pete and Zar.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 12:56

@AuntSalli The Royal Family are pushing this interest.

Please
or

PedantScorner · 10/10/2022 13:06

They are 2nd, 3rd and 4th in line, not as I posted above.
Viscount Severn is not given much attention/publicity probably because he's still a child.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 13:09

The Royal Family have not pushed him into the press.

Please
or

follyfeet · 10/10/2022 13:12

No idea how this thread turned so suddenly.

It was an interesting chat, not much goes deep on here anymore, unfortunately. Any kind of intelligent discussion just devolves into a pool of tabloidesque nastiness.

OP posts:
Please
or

PedantScorner · 10/10/2022 13:16

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 13:09

The Royal Family have not pushed him into the press.

@antelopevalley , and neither have they pushed his sister.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 13:18

Look back at the sudden press stories of Louise and lots of minor "news" about her. This clearly came from the Palace.

Please
or

AuntSalli · 10/10/2022 13:22

Oh well presumably it hasn’t been done behind her back and she’s up for the gig then

Please
or

tinseng · 10/10/2022 13:28

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 13:18

Look back at the sudden press stories of Louise and lots of minor "news" about her. This clearly came from the Palace.

How can we be certain it's come from the palace?

I'm still not sure it justifies the negative comments about her appearance in any case.

Please
or

Cam22 · 10/10/2022 13:54

Her is name is Louise.

I don’t think she is being pushed in any way at all.

She obviously had a role at the late Queen’s funeral because she was her granddaughter and the new King’s niece.

She’s recently started at St Andrews so I imagine there will increased interest in her. I think she’s lovely and will be an asset to the Royal Family.

Please
or

gluenotsoup · 10/10/2022 14:56

What is your agenda on this thread @antelopevalley? I see you post very frequently on Royal threads, usually in support of Meghan. However, this thread should not be being used as a platform for whatever you are trying to do. It’s supposed to be a nice bit of friendly chat about hair and clothes 🤷🏻‍♀️.
So … without the pointed derailing, I think expensive looking hair is well cut, flattering, good condition hair regardless of texture or colour. The same with the clothes, it’s the clothes that fit well, quality material, and flatters the wearer, combined with good make up and accessories. Also- event appropriate too.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 15:14

@gluenotsoup zero agenda. I was not the posters who introduced the subject of various Royal family members. I made general comments before then.
Why not ask those who continue to introduce Royal Family members into threads not about them, what their agenda is?

Please
or

gluenotsoup · 10/10/2022 15:21

This isn’t my thread, but I find it puts me off when everything is brought round to royalty in an unpleasant way. Surely it doesn’t have to become part of every thread. Positive comments, using people in the public eye as an example of their hair or clothing etc should be able to be used without the undertones regardless of who or what it’s about. It’s just tiresome, no matter who it’s from.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 15:32

I would be happy if no one brought up royalty in these threads. But if someone does you can't expect everyone to go - yes beautiful hair. Especially if anyone disagrees even slightly they get a strong negative reaction.
With other celebrities there is never an issue of someone says for example, oh no I dont like her hair, it seems a bit too messy/overdone/whatever. But say that about a Royal family member and suddenly you are being mean or awful.
Better to simply not mention than at all.

Please
or

gluenotsoup · 10/10/2022 16:22

The last thing I have to say on it is that adult in the public eye should be able to have observations made on their clothes and style without it becoming personal or insulting, my own line is drawn at that including a person who is barely out of adolescence. We were all awkward teenagers probably, and it’s neither an easy age to be or to parent, and could potentially be very damaging.
So … style and beauty only for me.

Please
or

antelopevalley · 10/10/2022 16:43

18 years old is an adult. But I do not like harsh judgements on anyone's appearance.

Please
or

twistyizzy · 10/10/2022 18:52

antelopevalley · 06/10/2022 13:57

Boring as fuck in otherwords.
I mean if you want to look like your gran when you are much younger up to you, but i beats me why younger women with money would dress like that.

If its good enough for Chrissie Hynde 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

Redfrangipani · 10/10/2022 22:51

twistyizzy · 10/10/2022 18:52

If its good enough for Chrissie Hynde 🤷‍♀️

@twistyizzy

I read that wrong - took it to mean Chrissie Hynde had gone ‘understated’. I was trying to imagine that. Googled her and nope - she’s still rocking. And looks v happy too.

Please
or

twistyizzy · 11/10/2022 07:59

Redfrangipani · 10/10/2022 22:51

@twistyizzy

I read that wrong - took it to mean Chrissie Hynde had gone ‘understated’. I was trying to imagine that. Googled her and nope - she’s still rocking. And looks v happy too.

Ha ha yes she is looking fab and wears Wellygogs amongst other brands thar have been slated here for being "aggressively country"/boring etc. If she wears it then I would hardly call it boring 😆

Please
or

psuedocream3 · 11/10/2022 08:21

I popped in on what I thought was a hair and clothes thread... I'll close the door on my way out .

Please
or

antelopevalley · 11/10/2022 09:30

Chrissie Hynde is not at all understated!
She does not have expensive hair.
She just continues to rock it and have fun. Much more admirable.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?