Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Holiday dresses

MintyGreenDreams · 05/08/2022 16:18

How many would you take for the evenings for 2 weeks?
I'm going to a hot country and I'm taking 9 so far having just panic bought another.

OP's posts:
Please
or

milkysmum · 05/08/2022 16:25

Depends how many times you plan to go out wearing a dress and if you have access to washing facilities?

Please
or

HouseHelp23 · 05/08/2022 16:25

Depends how many skirts/trousers you're taking. Personally I'd take at least one outfit for every night (unless you have access to a washing machine) . I'd happily re-wear skirts and trousers but not dresses for evening, but would re-wear a dress I'd worn in the evening as a daytime outfit later on in the week. If that makes sense.

Please
or

MintyGreenDreams · 05/08/2022 16:27

I'm only taking dresses for evening its AI so no washing facilities as such

OP's posts:
Please
or

MintyGreenDreams · 05/08/2022 16:27

Hmm might have to rethink

OP's posts:
Please
or

easyday · 05/08/2022 16:43

I'd take three or four. If you are only wearing the dress in the evening then it's not going to get dirty or smelly, especially if you shower before putting it on. So I'd get at least two wears out if each dress, and you can always hand wash one or two of them.
Really I find I wear the same thing several days in a row - like a kaftan or sarong over a bathing suit during the day that I end up with several things I don't wear at all. Mind you I'm assuming a relaxed beach type holiday not a city one - you would need more clothes if doing different touristy things every day.

Please
or

milkysmum · 05/08/2022 16:49

Yeah i'd definitely get more than one wear out of an evening dress. I'm on holiday in Spain at the moment for 2 weeks and have only brought a couple of dresses ( but i tend to just wear shirts and vest tops still of an evening a lot ). It is so hot at the moment that I really couldn't be bothered to get dressed up every evening to be honest and haven't really seen anyone dressed up either ( but i guess it depends on the type of place you are staying ).

Please
or

Chocolatecoatedkettlebell · 05/08/2022 17:06

For my week away I’m taking 4, one is a feature night and the others will be worn twice. As you can spread out the wears a bit, for two weeks I’d take 5 to 7. I flip my routine on holiday, shower pre dinner so clean when it goes on and then I’m happy to re-wear them later in the holiday. The problem with too many dresses is all the different shoes they require you to pack.

Please
or

Watapalava · 05/08/2022 21:18

I never wear evening outfits twice

summer dresses don’t take much room

id re wear day nice denim shorts to be worn with different tops but dresses are so obvious if you wear twice

Please
or

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo · 06/08/2022 07:49

I got two wears out of dresses for evenings on a recent AI holiday in a hot country. Always showed in evening before going out. I had a few different belts, necklaces etc. to wear with dresses, and when I could I mixed them up a little on the second wear so the outfit didn't look identical. I also had a couple of midi skirts that had at least two tops that went with them as an alternative.

Make sure your dresses are lightweight. I had a couple of heavier jersey ones - perfect in the UK in the summer, but realised they were just too heavy when it was really hot (out of practice after three years of no overseas holidays!).

Please
or

Bearsan · 06/08/2022 10:28

9 sounds about right and a nice selection to choose from for two weeks. I recently took 5 for a week's holiday abroad. I wore one three times, one I didn't wear despite wearing it twice on holiday in February. Things sometimes feel right for the location iyswim others just don't. I didn't wash any until I got home and then they didn't really need it just to freshen them up. We always showered before going out.

Please
or

GettingStuffed · 06/08/2022 11:31

I'd take about the same but add a few more t shirts as they can be worn with skirts in the evening. A dress usually only lasts me one day as I'm a messy water and big boobs stop food falling into my lap where I'd have my serviette

Please
or

LeeMiller · 06/08/2022 12:54

9 is a lot but if they’re light and roll up small I think it’s fine. If it’s properly hot then natural fabrics are much nicer to wear than synthetics. You can always give things a quick handwash and hang them to dry in the shower if they need a refresh.

Please
or

LibbyL92 · 06/08/2022 13:37

I’m off to Mexico in the morning for 10 nights!

I’ve got 7 dresses for the evening :) I’ll rotate a couple.

two pairs of small block heels
2 dressy sandals
1 poolside flip flops
1 pair of trainers I fly in and wear for an activity excursion.

5 bikinis
2 sarongs
5 kimonos (maxi) that I can also wear to leave the resort for mooching around and covering myself!

hope you have an amazing time!

Please
or

MintyGreenDreams · 06/08/2022 14:27

We go on tue can't bloody wait!

OP's posts:
Please
or

sproutsandparsnips · 06/08/2022 20:36

I feel a bit dirty. I plan to wear all evening dresses at least twice, probably 3 times. I am going on 2 week cruise and going to take 3 dresses for evening and 2 pairs of trousers......

Please
or

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 07/08/2022 00:26

You can definitely wear an evening outfit twice! In the unlikely event you spill something you can spot clean, handwash or get a third night out of another outfit. Things don't get dirty in an evening.

Please
or

TheHuntingoftheSnark · 07/08/2022 01:20

You only need 3. You might want more, and that’s fine, you are on holiday.

Please
or

blueshoes · 07/08/2022 01:57

People wear different outfits for day and for evening in hot weather? You mean formal evenings or just evenings? Suddenly realised I have been doing it wrong all along. Or have just been wearing outfits that can go from day to evening effortlessly.

Depends on how much you sweat and how quickly you honk.

In hot weather, Dh needs to change every day. I don't have to [sniffs armpits to check]. Then again, I grew up in a hot humid climate so strive to keep cool during the day - like walking in the side of the road where the pavement is in the shade and not walking about in the mid day heat. I also shower twice a day. Dh on the other hand is happy to get all sticky and sweaty any time of the day and doesn't shower to cool down.

I have just been away for 2 weeks in a hot climate. Brought about 10 dresses and wore 4 of them about 2-3x. I pair white sneakers, I pair gold sandals and a straw hat.

At the height of the heat, I also wore a neck fan: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403778573367.

Please
or

StarlightLady · 07/08/2022 06:23

3 and wash them through. I travel for work and have seen so many piled up lost bags at airports. I would only take cabin bags at the moment.

Please
or

manlyago · 07/08/2022 07:34

I’d take 6 dresses. To be honest I start off well on holiday then by about day 7 I can’t be bothered making an effort. It’s the heat and the holiday vibe.

Please
or

manlyago · 07/08/2022 07:36

@blueshoes depends on the holiday. For a beach type holiday yes I’d definitely get showered and changed in the evening.

Please
or

MrsFortSQ · 07/08/2022 07:50

We go on holiday next week for 10 nights.
I'm taking 4 maxi dresses which I'll be wearing x2, linen trousers and wide leg trousers and tops.
4 swimsuits, a few kaftans and beach dresses and 4 pairs of sandals.
Thats it!
I lose enthusiasm for dressing up after the first few days, it's too hot 😂

Please
or

ohblowmedown · 07/08/2022 08:03

I wouldn't take one for each night. Unless you tend to dribble food down your front it'll be fine to re wear some of them.

Please
or

Watapalava · 07/08/2022 08:12

For me it’s not about cleanliness

its about being seen in same outfit in space of a week

i must really over think it as I’d be really embarrassed!

shorts with diff top defo but dress is so obvious as an outfit so people would notice

even ignoring other people I wouldn’t feel good rewearing

having said that I may feel different if two week holiday but even then I’d take at least 10

Please
or

rookiemere · 07/08/2022 08:13

Depends if luggage is included or not.

When we go in October with Jet2 I will have 23kg of luggage and I'm going to fill it to the brim so that all my summer clothes get good use. You can wear the dresses during the day as well.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.