My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Ankle boots and jeans. How???

36 replies

ThePricklySheep · 04/09/2018 10:05

I think knee high boots are really not the thing any more where I live, so I want some ankle boots.

How is this going to work?! Looking at photos of boots I like they have skinny jeans tucked in. But my skinny jeans are not quite as skinny at the bottom. I think they’ll look o bit off. I’m not going to be up for a gap of skin in winter which seems to be the other option. I’m also not buying three new pairs of jeans.

So, tell me what am I going to be wearing this winter? I have grand plans to build a capsule wardrobe but am stuck at the first hurdle. Grin

OP posts:
Mrbatmun · 04/09/2018 10:07

Following. It might just be because I have fat legs but I just cannot get the jeans and ankle boots look to work for me at all!

Tessellated · 04/09/2018 10:09

Just pull on the boots and go! Don't over think it. Depending on how wide the ankle opening is, the boots will either sit inside just fine or bunch up slightly above the boot. Or you can fold them up to the top of the boot shaft. Or you can buy jeans that are skinnier through the ankle.

LegoPiecesEverywhere · 04/09/2018 10:11

You need to fold the bottom of your jeans up with ankle boots so there is a slight gap between the boots and jeans. Knee high boots are back this season.

LegoPiecesEverywhere · 04/09/2018 10:13
chipsandgin · 04/09/2018 10:14

I think they are skinny enough - perhaps depends on the height of the ankle boot though. I've worn mine tucked in or slightly rolled or even cuffed a bit (although not as big a cuff as during the summer with trainers!).

There is lots of good stuff on pinterest about skinny jeans and ankle boots (if you have time to go down an internet rabbit hole and emerge hours later as happens every time with me!).

This is an example...

GraceMarks · 04/09/2018 10:16

Isn't this just for people with thin legs, though? I've tried it on my little short fat ones, and it looks ridiculous. The bit of my calf which emerges from the boot is the same width as the boot top!

thedevilinablackdress · 04/09/2018 10:17

Roll/scrunch plus socks

QueenoftheNights · 04/09/2018 10:21

My jeans have ankle width of 10 inches (Boden jeans) They fit tightly round the ankles. Other jeans I have that are slightly wider on the ankle fit over the boot on the ankle, or sit on top of it. I have to shorten some jeans to get them to sit on the ankle of ankle boots rather than be all ruched up.

TheVeryThing · 04/09/2018 10:22

Agree with jeans rolled/folded up at the end. Definitely add socks if winter if you are cold, though.
I've never worn the knee high boots over jeans look - wouldn't suit me and i struggle to get boots to go over my calves as it is. without adding jeans.

ThePricklySheep · 04/09/2018 10:31

Thanks everyone!

So I was thinking that if I roll them there’s meant to be bare skin underneath which is not practical and will look stupid in Scotland in winter. Do we think that sock showing is actually ok?!

OP posts:
Elledorado · 04/09/2018 10:32

Interesting that knee high boots are coming back. Still dated where I am, if worn over jeans and especially with a heel

Tinty · 04/09/2018 10:38

Have you bought the ankle boots yet? If not maybe you need to go for a boot with a slightly wider ankle and tuck the jeans in (sort of), it depends on whether you have wide or slim ankles.

In the picture with the ankle boots rolled up I prefer the one with the jeans over the top. I hate the rolled up looked with skin showing I think it looks stupid. What is the point of having a cold band of flesh showing in the winter? Unless you have lovely tanned ankles, it will just white goose bumpy flesh Grin

ThePricklySheep · 04/09/2018 10:44

I haven’t, I’m properly planning it all out first. Grin

OP posts:
ThePricklySheep · 04/09/2018 10:45

Oh an I think my ankles are normal ish?!

OP posts:
RabbitsAreTasty · 04/09/2018 10:50

I wear long socks. They are nice socks bought specifically to look good with just a flash showing between rolled up leg and boot. I cannot do bare ankle flesh in winter.

ThePricklySheep · 04/09/2018 10:51

Or, or, do I tuck my jeans into ‘feature socks’ and have sock poking out. Or does than only work with a more walking boot type of vibe?

OP posts:
ThePricklySheep · 04/09/2018 10:52

Ha ha cross post!

OP posts:
RabbitsAreTasty · 04/09/2018 10:58

Socks under jeans (like tights would be). Roll up jeans a bit. Sock shows exactly like flesh would show but in maroon or whatever.

I don't go for thick woolen ribbed socks for tbis look. Smooth ones, even if thickish for winter.

thedevilinablackdress · 04/09/2018 11:08

Socks under jeans unless a very chunky sock/boot combo.
I like maroon, mustard, khaki

HiGunny · 04/09/2018 11:17

I agree with you @Tinty, I prefer the jeans over the boot. But I have short legs so this makes them look longer. Cuffing makes my legs look stumpy 🙁

ThePricklySheep · 04/09/2018 11:42

Ah, I see. I was thinking a cable knit/fairisle sort of thing but over jeans. I’ll ponder sock under jean too. Grin

OP posts:
AgathaF · 04/09/2018 11:47

Socks under jeans give a sock line showing through the jeans though....

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

thedevilinablackdress · 04/09/2018 12:16

Only if the jeans are v tight. And, really who cares or would even notice.

RabbitsAreTasty · 04/09/2018 12:26

I wear knee socks. Stops them falling down.

QueenoftheNights · 04/09/2018 12:29

You need to think about the height of the top of the ankle boot. I have some oldish Clarks ankle boots which are low cut and my skinny jeans sit just on the top of them with no gap . On the other hand I have some Chelsea style ankle boots which are slightly higher and with these I have to turn the jeans up or have them 'bagging' around the ankle.

If you wear wider legged jeans you might be better off with something like brogues or loafers so you don't have this issue.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.