My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

NewAndHopefullyImproved, 3 more pics on Flickr and about to go to the shops, will try to post more later.

50 replies

NewAndHopefullyImproved · 13/05/2012 10:24

I've just uploaded 3 new pics, its what I'm wearing today. www.flickr.com/photos/78444433@N08/with/7187144378/ I searched my wardrobe for something colourful and remembered I'd bought this when we had that week of warm weather before all the rain started. The shoes I bought in Feb from Next.
I don't like having my arms on show but I'm going to risk it and take a cardy in my bag for if I loose my nerve or its gets colder

suburbanstyle Thanks so much for posting on my old thread, I love your blog and its going to be really useful for me.

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 11:05

Excellent! 9/10!

all you need is some bangles, these in either colour for example.

MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 11:07

Oh, and you have rather good arms. Honest, you really do!

MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 11:12

There are some great bangles amongst the tat in Claire's this season -

this set
this set
this, also in deep blue, black and b&w spots. also similar with peacock print

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 13/05/2012 11:46

Don't wear cheap plastic bangles, please. They are v 'Eighties teenager' and will make anything else you are wearing look cheap. Warehouse and Topshop always have loads of nice metal or leather bangles/cuffs for about the same price as those H&M plastic ones. Your arms are fine, but where are you that you are thinking of going out in just a sleeveless top today? It's currently cold here (Midlands)!

I think you need a little cardigan over that vest, not because your arms are bad (they are not, at all) but because something is needed to 'tie' the trousers and top together. A lightweight scarf would be good too.

MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 11:57

Meh, it's personal taste and she's very young.

Scarves and cardies can easily come up rather middle-aged-mum-from-the-suburbs.

gingerchick · 13/05/2012 12:00

Love it, fabulous!

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 13/05/2012 12:02

It depends on the scarf and the cardi! A blazer would be better than a cardigan but she'd already mentioned a cardigan, which is why I said cardi.

Sorry but to me plastic bangles scream teenager - and I thought that yesterday NewAnd said she was 30 or so?

MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 12:10

Yy, it depends per article - definitely. I think she said 30 or 32, something like that. That's pretty damn young, no?

MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 12:12

WRT blazer - this is great in either colour, I'd say. What do y' reckon remus?

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 13/05/2012 12:17

Yes - something like that (personally I'd always go for black first) would be a great addition to her wardrobe.

MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 12:18

Me too TBH, the teal-ish one is very nice but black would get so much more wear.

NewAndHopefullyImproved · 13/05/2012 13:32

Thanks for the comments, I was just about warm enough when I was out but I did need to put my cardy on to not freeze.

Didn't make it to the shopping centre so just quickly rushed into my local town centre. Tried on raspberry leigh skinny jeans in TopShop with a black blazer, then into M&S to try on the red jeggings. I'm not saying what I thought until you see the pictures!!

I took photos in the changing rooms, now I just need to figure out how to get them on the laptop. Tried using the micro SD card, failed, tried connecting cable to laptop, failed. Now got DH in on the job and we are trying to bluetooth to his laptop so he can email them to me so I can put them on Flickr. I may be some time!

OP posts:
NewAndHopefullyImproved · 13/05/2012 14:11

They are on now, here.

I think these are what I tried on in TopShop jeans and jacket. Though the jacket I tried had a cream lining not a black one so maybe slightly different.

What is the verdict on red jeans then?

OP posts:
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 13/05/2012 14:20

Yay! I think the Topshop blazer looks perfect and can be worn with lots of different things. Both pairs of skinnies look fine but I think I prefer the Topshop ones on you. They would need heels though.

BandersnatchCummerbund · 13/05/2012 14:21

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NewAndHopefullyImproved · 13/05/2012 14:42

Remus Yes, I preferred the TopShop ones but I wouldn't want to pay £38 Shock for ones that can only be worn with a heel because that would mean they never get worn really. I think I need a cheaper pair to start with.

I was so proud fitting in to TopShop size 10, at my biggest I couldn't even shop in there at all, they just didn't make anything big enough Blush

Cummerbund I think you are right to be honest, I much prefer the dark ones. Mine are these from Dorothy Perkins. Not sure if its just because I feel safer in teh darker ones though.

I wasn't as sure about the M&S red jeggings, I felt a bit chunky in them though they were very comfortable so might get a pair in the darker colour.

I loved the blazer though. I didn't get it because it was £40 and I need to think about it but might start with a cheap one and if I find that I like wearing one then I'd get a nicer one that should last.

I had a good look at other women whilst I was out to see what others are wearing. One woman, about my age I think with young children in tow, was wearing indigo skinnies like mine, with converse and a grey jersey material blazer and a scarf. It looked casual but really good. I think I'd quite like that outfit myself.

OP posts:
mrsebojones · 13/05/2012 15:56

Really like the Topshop blazer on you. It would be very versatile - with skinny jeans and over dresses. Sleeves could be worn pushed up for a casual look.
TBH, not wild about the colour of the Topshop skinnys or the M&S jeggings. This may just be a personal thing but I don't think the colour is wildly flattering. If you want to do coloured jeans, I would stick to a blue palette - think aqua, turquoise, teal etc... a nod to the trend but generally more flattering on most.
I think skinnys would look good with a heel or with a low wedge sandal in the summer.
I am a fan of scarves and accessories too. Look for scarves in quirky prints or stripes or spot prints to keep it young. Or chunky necklaces with resin / wood / glass beads. Head to a department store like John Lewis where there's lots of choice.
I must say that you're very brave putting yourself up there for discussion of your outfits and well done with the weight loss!
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 13/05/2012 16:56

Ooh you've just reminded me that M&S had some lovely dark green jeans. I am far too old/fat/fond of black to do coloured jeans at all but they were v nice. Maybe easier to wear than red?

NewAndHopefullyImproved · 13/05/2012 17:16

mrsebojones Its not bravery, I just felt hopeless and needed guidance!

Dreading seeing friends who I know are MNetters, really hope they aren't on the S&B board!!

Remus I love green but don't hsve much that would go with it.

I went to the supermarket today and saw someone I haven't seen in about 15 months. She couldn't believe it was me, really nice to have a boost.

OP posts:
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 13/05/2012 18:10

Dark green jeans, white cami, black blazer, your charcoal ankle boots and a white or off white scarf with a bit of green in the pattern would be nice, maybe?

NewAndHopefullyImproved · 13/05/2012 20:15

I'm dreaming of this blazer here but its £72 which is too much for me.

Wearing nice clothes is going to be an expensive habit!

OP posts:
MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 20:45

I'm gessing you're an S? Here

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 13/05/2012 20:50

Not overfond of that jacket, sorry - it looks a bit like an American high school jock jacket. I think a decent black one would be a better starting point, personally.

drywhiteplease · 13/05/2012 20:54

Evening all. new well done!!!!!
Love the black blazer, love the dark indigo jeans, really love the turquoise top, your arms are fine. Not overly fussed about the red jeans despite what I said last night.
How about some chinos in stone to go with the black blazer instead? Could be worn with ballet flats for day and with heels and statement jewellery in the evening?
Keep trying on....loads of clothes.

MrsLettuce · 13/05/2012 20:54

I quite agree Remus, black would be a much wiser choice. But love is love.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.