Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please note: This topic is for Question and Answer threads run by Mumsnet, all are sponsored by a MN client. If you'd like to run your own Q&A, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Do you have any questions about apprenticeships? Ask Lloyd’s Banking Group expert Kathryn Marshall for advice - £200 Amazon voucher to be won.

123 replies

EllieSmumsnet · 22/08/2022 16:07

Created for Lloyds Banking Group

This Q&A is now closed for questions. See Kathryn's answers here.

Deciding on your next career step can be stressful! Are you or a family member debating going to university or doing an apprenticeship? Are you or someone you know thinking about returning to the workforce or fancy a change in career? Kathryn Marshall, Senior manager of apprenticeships at Lloyds Banking Group is here to help make your decision easier by answering all of your questions.

• Anyone that shares a question below by the 5th of September will be eligible for the prize draw.
  • One lucky Mumsnet user will win a £200 Amazon voucher.
  • Kathryn will be back online in a couple of weeks to answer a selection of your questions.

About Kathryn Marshall:
Kathryn Marshall leads on apprenticeship delivery for Lloyds Banking Group.
There are typically 1500 apprentices on programme at any time across 30 different occupations ranging from financial services to cyber security. In addition, Kathryn is co-vice chair for the Apprenticeship Ambassador Network and chairs the financial services apprenticeship trailblazer. The Apprenticeship Ambassador Network is a group of employers and apprentices who are passionate about promoting the benefits of apprenticeships.

Here's what Lloyds has to say:
'We are passionate about apprenticeships at Lloyds Banking Group because we can see the real difference they make to individuals in developing key skills and the confidence to have a successful career. More and more young people are weighing up the financial impact of going to university against the potential to earn a salary straight away and continue their learning and development in a way that may suit them better. Those who join on an apprenticeship get the opportunity to earn whilst they learn, to gain valuable experience and skills and to build up an important network to help them with their careers.

It is really important that all young people understand the options that are available to them and consider what is right for them which is why we are really keen to help increase understanding of apprenticeships.'

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

Mumsnet Insight T&Cs apply.
Do you have any questions about apprenticeships? Ask Lloyd’s Banking Group expert Kathryn Marshall for advice - £200 Amazon voucher to be won.
Please
or

MiniDinosaur · 01/09/2022 15:19

My DC would like to apply for an apprenticeship but due to ASD and severe anxiety, would not be able to do a traditional interview.
My question is, what are employers doing to make apprenticeships accessible to young people with SEN?

Please
or

SuperheroBirds · 01/09/2022 15:41

What do you see as the most in demand skills in the future and which apprenticeship would help develop those?

Please
or

SteveHarringtonsChestHair · 01/09/2022 16:05

My DS is looking at degree apprenticeships to hopefully get the best of both worlds, educational qualification and on the job experience at the same time. Why would someone choose to go down the regular degree route when that is available as an option?!

Please
or

NativityDreaming · 01/09/2022 20:10

What keeps companies from considering people in second or third careers from being an apprentice? There are so many women, in particular, that could use the leg up when re entering the workforce, say after a family or varying break.

Please
or

clopper · 01/09/2022 20:13

Is there some sort of central register and how/ when are they usually advertised?

Please
or

TabithaTittlemouse · 01/09/2022 21:22

What support is available for those applying for an apprenticeship with additional needs?

Also there seems to be a real lack of apprenticeships available in my area? What can be done to encourage more people to provide apprenticeship opportunities?

Please
or

As476 · 01/09/2022 21:58

I have just applied for an apprenticeship, at almost 30. Why aren’t apprenticeships aimed at older people? Why do they all seem to be aimed at 16-20s?

Please
or

Whenasuitcasejustwontdo · 01/09/2022 22:01

Can you do an apprenticeship part time? I need a career change having done the same job for nearly 20 years but I can't quite find the route in to part time?

Please
or

FrecklesMalone · 01/09/2022 22:03

My DS is interested in doing an apprenticeship rather than uni. As a large employ how many of your senior roles would eventually be accessible to him without a degree (or maybe more clear what jobs couldnt he do- thinking about necessary requirements in job specs)

Please
or

splendidlystupendous · 01/09/2022 22:49

Another one wondering if there's an age limit on who can apply.

Please
or

Itstoughbeingamom · 01/09/2022 23:48

Is degree Education supported / sponsored while doing Apprenticeship?

Please
or

Threeboysandadog · 02/09/2022 14:22

When I started nursing the training was like an apprenticeship with some time in college, time in the workplace and a low wage. Now it is a university degree course and it is a definite disadvantage not to have the degree. I think an apprenticeship without the debt of university is a great way forward even for the most academic but will those without a degree be treated as second class in the workplace?

Please
or

MrsFrTedCrilly · 02/09/2022 17:12

Is an apprenticeship a viable option for a mid life career change or are they really just for school leavers?

Please
or

Devilishpyjamas · 02/09/2022 22:13

My son is doing a business BTEC level 3 (the extended diploma). Where would he find out about apprenticeships on offer? He is interested in doing an apprenticeship but we really struggle to find a central place for information on them.

Please
or

BellaVida · 03/09/2022 18:05

I know many Year 13’s missed out on a Uni place this year, it would’ve been helpful if there was a ‘clearing’ type process which coincided with the university clearing dates.

How do they quickly find out about open vacancies for degree apprenticeships? Is there a centralised resource?

Please
or

Ashhead24 · 04/09/2022 09:48

Are there roles within your organisation which can only be accessed with a degree or does the apprenticeship open doors to all roles?

Please
or

ipswichwitch · 04/09/2022 13:47

What support is there for apprentices during their apprenticeship - is there a governing body to oversee the quality of the training? Is there someone the apprentice can go to if they are having issues with their placement? Is there additional support for apprentices with SEN?

DH was an apprentice many years ago, and had been treated basically like a general dogs body, with very minimal on the job learning, and pay that didn’t even cover travel expenses. The college part of his apprenticeship wasn’t very supportive either, and for these reasons he wouldn’t want to encourage our DC into apprenticeships unless he was assured things had changed dramatically since then!

Please
or

frogface69 · 04/09/2022 14:38

I would like to know if Apprenticeships have published reviews. So people who are doing, or completed one could share their experience and help others to make a good choice.

Please
or

tillytown · 05/09/2022 00:57

Are people with autism accepted on Lloyds apprentices? And if yes, would they have the same opportunities and options at the end of the apprenticeship as everyone else? My nephew has autism, he is great with computers and numbers, but struggles talking one on one, and 'flaps' when stressed or anxious, would you recommend an apprenticeship to someone like him?

Please
or

UnityO · 05/09/2022 02:51

Is there one place where you can see apprenticeships available - or is it a case of looking at individual companies own websites?

Please
or

tulips27 · 05/09/2022 08:00

How do you ensure that apprenticeships are sustainable for people from low-income backgrounds who might not have access to parental financial backing?

Please
or

GazeboLantern · 05/09/2022 08:16

Ds is in Y11 in a comprehensive and gifted in computing. He is interested in doing an apprenticeship at Google or similar, instead of going to university. He also has an ASD diagnosis.

Beyond suggesting that he apply for computer science degree at university as well as several different apprenticeship providers, I have no idea how to support him or what the processes are. His autism means that he focuses on the objective, without having any clear picture of the process to get there. (No idea how this is not an issue for him when designing hardware or software!)

Where to look? Finances? Would skipping uni mean he misses out on developing important social skills?

I am totally at sea.

Please
or

AnnotherReader · 05/09/2022 10:26

Is there an age limit for apprenticeships?

Please
or

Beurre · 05/09/2022 20:03

Are there any apprenticeships designed for people with autism / other special needs?

Please
or

hermancakedestroyer · 05/09/2022 20:08

I work with apprentices in a college. Some of them are paid just £4.33 per hour and are struggling to afford petrol to get to their workplaces. What sort of wages do Lloyds offer and would they consider small grants to help the apprentices to get to work?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?