Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please note: This topic is for Question and Answer threads run by Mumsnet, all are sponsored by a MN client. If you'd like to run your own Q&A, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Do you have any questions about apprenticeships? Ask Lloyd’s Banking Group expert Kathryn Marshall for advice - £200 Amazon voucher to be won.

123 replies

EllieSmumsnet · 22/08/2022 16:07

Created for Lloyds Banking Group

This Q&A is now closed for questions. See Kathryn's answers here.

Deciding on your next career step can be stressful! Are you or a family member debating going to university or doing an apprenticeship? Are you or someone you know thinking about returning to the workforce or fancy a change in career? Kathryn Marshall, Senior manager of apprenticeships at Lloyds Banking Group is here to help make your decision easier by answering all of your questions.

• Anyone that shares a question below by the 5th of September will be eligible for the prize draw.
  • One lucky Mumsnet user will win a £200 Amazon voucher.
  • Kathryn will be back online in a couple of weeks to answer a selection of your questions.

About Kathryn Marshall:
Kathryn Marshall leads on apprenticeship delivery for Lloyds Banking Group.
There are typically 1500 apprentices on programme at any time across 30 different occupations ranging from financial services to cyber security. In addition, Kathryn is co-vice chair for the Apprenticeship Ambassador Network and chairs the financial services apprenticeship trailblazer. The Apprenticeship Ambassador Network is a group of employers and apprentices who are passionate about promoting the benefits of apprenticeships.

Here's what Lloyds has to say:
'We are passionate about apprenticeships at Lloyds Banking Group because we can see the real difference they make to individuals in developing key skills and the confidence to have a successful career. More and more young people are weighing up the financial impact of going to university against the potential to earn a salary straight away and continue their learning and development in a way that may suit them better. Those who join on an apprenticeship get the opportunity to earn whilst they learn, to gain valuable experience and skills and to build up an important network to help them with their careers.

It is really important that all young people understand the options that are available to them and consider what is right for them which is why we are really keen to help increase understanding of apprenticeships.'

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

Mumsnet Insight T&Cs apply.
Do you have any questions about apprenticeships? Ask Lloyd’s Banking Group expert Kathryn Marshall for advice - £200 Amazon voucher to be won.
Please
or

MerryMarigold · 28/08/2022 22:49

What different kinds of apprenticeships do Lloyds offer and is there a link to view them all in one place? Do you offer degree apprenticeships and how competitive are they? What's the ratio of applicants to apprenticeships roughly on the different types of apprenticeships available? Thank you!

Please
or

purplepandas · 28/08/2022 22:53

What are the salary prospects post apprenticeship? Likely different across vocations I realise. Really important, especially in such lean times.

Please
or

starray · 29/08/2022 03:26

I wish that there were apprenticeships for older people. The over 50s. Why aren't there any? Or are there any I don't know about?

Please
or

Dalewoood · 29/08/2022 11:18

What departments/team/functions do your program offer? Is it a full-time program or students can participant during summer holiday?

Please
or

horseymum · 29/08/2022 11:32

Are you guaranteed a job at the end of a graduate apprenticeship? If you decide you want to change jobs do you have to pay back the training fee or are you tied in? Can you change department within the organisation, many degrees let you change subjects as you move into 2/3/4th year, is an apprenticeship flexible at all?

Please
or

aluvss · 29/08/2022 16:56

What kind of qualifications can be gained from an apprenticeship? Are they equivalent to a degree? and is it paid for by the company? Thank you

Please
or

solarbirdscalm · 29/08/2022 21:11

What do you look for to ensure it is a genuine apprenticeship and not just an unscrupulous employer looking to avoid paying minimum wage?

Please
or

Weirdfisher · 29/08/2022 21:39

Can you do an apprenticeship after finishing a degree?

Please
or

IamBitzyVonMuffling · 29/08/2022 23:27

Do employers offer any financial assistance to help with costs of travelling between study and work placements, or accommodation if it is required?

Please
or

Sh05 · 29/08/2022 23:32

If there's multiple applicants for one apprenticeship, is it true that the the one who lives closest will most likely be chosen? Is location or distance a major factor when applicants are chosen?

Please
or

TheaDecker · 30/08/2022 12:48

Do you have any advice for passing the online assessment / test stage? Many thanks.

Please
or

insertsomethingwitty · 30/08/2022 19:02

Is there a guaranteed job at the end of it?

Is it recognised by employers nationwide if not?

Please
or

Mariesthename · 30/08/2022 19:59

What is the selection process? Do they get conditional offers like UCAS application? Is it advisable to disclose SEN at application/interview? How can we identify a quality/experienced provider of apprenticeships.

Please
or

artiee · 30/08/2022 20:07

You mentioned young people but is this open to those returning to work after a career break to have a family? I have more than 20years in banking experience but would like to be able to work part time from home, is banking still rigid with hours and office attendance/long hours?

Please
or

CornishTiger · 30/08/2022 20:34

starray · 29/08/2022 03:26

I wish that there were apprenticeships for older people. The over 50s. Why aren't there any? Or are there any I don't know about?

My company does trade apprenticeships as well as other roles open to all ages.

Please
or

CornishTiger · 30/08/2022 20:37

What is the rate of retention of those who have completed their apprenticeship. Do you have a tie in of expected time in post after completion

Please
or

SandysMam · 30/08/2022 20:41

How can we convince younger people that apprenticeships are not just for those who struggle academically but also for those who have achieved great results but want a different path from just university? They are traditionally associated with those not clever enough for uni and I think that has changed!

Please
or

sjonlegs · 31/08/2022 08:42

My 16 year old son takes his A levels next year and is currently looking to do an apprenticeship (also toying with a year out first). He's doing A-level Maths and has considered banking - but doesn't know enough about what this entails. It would be good to know what the apprenticeship covers (ie all areas). How would apprentices be chosen and what merits would the perfect candidates be looking to have? I'm guessing it's not on education alone?

Please
or

Jaderice21 · 31/08/2022 19:41

would an apprenticeship be achievable during school hours ?

Please
or

Anotheronestatisticssuck · 31/08/2022 21:16

What are the advantages of an apprenticeship over other methods? Are there incentives for businesses to take on apprentices?

Please
or

Lennybenny · 31/08/2022 21:26

If you're looking for someone for an apprenticeship. Do you automatically want a younger out of school type person or do you consider Mature Apprenticeships to be just as important?

Please
or

fishnships · 31/08/2022 23:32

What happens if things don't work out and the young person decides to leave, won't this affect their chances of getting an apprenticeship/employment elsewhere?

Please
or

aloeleaf · 01/09/2022 04:34

Will apprenticeships ever be valued as much as university degrees at very senior levels. How many members of the Lloyds Banking Group didn't go to university?

Please
or

HotToddyColdSauvignon · 01/09/2022 06:55

Is there an age limit to become an apprentice? Could I , for example, become one in my late 30’s?

Please
or

custardcream1000 · 01/09/2022 07:10

Are the apprenticeships available nationwide, including smaller cities and towns? I know when I applied to graduate schemes they were primarily based in the same 3- 4 large cities, so they exclude many people living outside these areas. Unfortunately, many people are unable to relocate due to family arrangements, low income, care responsibilities, limited transport etc. It make these opportunities feels like a bit of a postcode lottery.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?