My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their favourite childhood lunchbox items with Soreen

207 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 01/09/2020 09:29

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

The way parents and schools think about the contents of children’s lunchboxes has changed over the years, but the excitement of realising mum or dad has given you a favourite treat remains the same. With that in mind, Soreen would like to hear about the school packed lunch inclusions you fondly remember from your childhood.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “We all want our children to enjoy their school packed lunch and feel full and energised for the afternoon of learning ahead.

But we know it can be tricky finding that sweet spot– those healthier lunchbox items that you’re happy to give your children but which won’t come home in the lunchbox untouched! Then there are the school food guidelines to think about too!

That’s why we’re introducing Soreen Lunchbox Loaves, the healthier snack that is squidgy and delicious. Each individually wrapped mini loaf contains a source of fibre and is low in saturated fat. They also contain over 50% less sugar and 70% less fat than the average cake bar and are available in 4 deliciously fruity flavours – banana, apple, malt and strawberry. Not forgetting that they’re nut free and suitable for vegetarian diets.

Plus Soreen Lunchbox Loaves are school compliant so will keep the teachers happy too!“

Perhaps you remember homemade treats making you smile? Maybe a slice of malt loaf brightened up your lunchtime? Is there anything you had for school packed lunch that you give to your children today?

Whatever the school lunchbox items you remember being your favourites when you were a child, share them on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their favourite childhood lunchbox items with Soreen
OP posts:
caravandreamer · 12/09/2020 04:05

Mine sounds horrid now I'm grown up but I used to love having a chocolate mousse yogurt and a packet of "Skips" in my lunch because I used to dip the skips into the mousse like the shell shape skips were a spoon Confused

DrDiva · 12/09/2020 07:57

A filled roll with egg and salad. It had to have beetroot in it.

SearchingTheSkies · 12/09/2020 08:07

I loved gold bars and string cheese. Yum!

DisgruntledGuineaPig · 12/09/2020 09:21

If the ham sandwiches also had salt and vinegar crisps to accompany them, id put the crisps in the sandwiches. Delicious.

I have ham, bread and salt and vinegar crisps in the house now, but no interest in recreated - this is a lunchbox only food combo.

jellybeanpopper · 12/09/2020 10:10

Samosas with a fresh slice of lime! Yummy.

Whatwouldnanado · 12/09/2020 12:42

At the risk of sounding like a complete sycophant my favourite lunch was when mum would cut a Soreen loaf lengthways into thin slices and sandwich them together with sugar free peanut butter then cut in half. Yum. Cheese, crackers and and apple. Perfect.

FredAstaireAteMyHamSandwich · 12/09/2020 17:04

We used to make coleslaw with white cabbage, onions, peppers and tuna fish, and mayonnaise. It was so filling.

tobypercy · 12/09/2020 18:26

I remember jam sandwiches - almost never see them now!

Givealittlebit · 12/09/2020 20:18

I remember me and my friend used to sneak dried pasta I go our lunch boxes and sit crunching away feeling very pleased with ourselves. Gutted when the teachers asked my mum why i had dried pasta!

CynthiaRothrock · 13/09/2020 20:04

I mainly had school dinners but on the odd occasion I had a packed lunch (usually made if I had stayed with my nan) corned beef and Branston pickle sandwiches, peach melba yoghurt and a gold bar with some fruit and veg. The sandwich sound horrible by todays standards but I still make one occasionally for nostalgia.

WhatILoved · 13/09/2020 20:50

My son loves just a good old apple!

mummyuk86 · 13/09/2020 21:02

I use to love jam sandwiches. I also had fingerellas as a little treat.
Now give the same to my son as well :)

Jouleigh · 13/09/2020 22:20

DS loves banana bread and also malt loaf. Was always carful giving him the latter as it gets stuck in the teeth like sticky fruit.

Was a snack for home as teeth could be brushed.

We tried the banana lunchbox version over a year ago when they first came out. They were still sticky on the teeth, which is to be expected.

The banana flavour was really synthetic and unpalatable unfortunately.

We still have the original malt loaf which we all love. We have it at home as we always have. Possibly thing have changed since we last tried it with specific flavours but it's not something I would buy again.

alwaysfiltered · 14/09/2020 07:18

I always had crisps, a chocolate bar, and grapes in my lunchbox. My kids have the same but I also send in additional fruit and often some cooked meat.

My mum used to give me bettered Soreen and my kids have it prepackaged. It's funny how some things don't change. Funny story- Soreen is the name of the tooth fairy in our house after my daughter asked what she was called, I panicked and said the first thing I saw!

SweetPeaPods · 14/09/2020 13:38

DS1 loves a pack of skips in his lunch box. I buy them for school so I don't have to smell them at home!
We go through bucket loads of soreen too, thankfully Costco did a big box of the individual ones, I'm hoping they keep them as they lasted us a few weeks.

SweetPeaPods · 14/09/2020 13:39

Meant to add I loved soreen as a child and get really excited when my kids eat what I liked to eat as a child.
Sadly can't convince them with riced pudding or creamed semolina which were my lunch time favourites at school

p0ptart · 14/09/2020 14:07

Mine was creamed semolina too as another PP said! Served with some tinned fruit. Such fond memories, though when I tried this again recently I felt it was quite revolting

Dagnabit · 14/09/2020 14:43

I used to love malt loaf with butter - I must ask my son if he fancies it! That's all I liked to be honest, I used to take the entire 2 lunchtime sittings to eat my lunch and miss play time Blush Thankfully, my 2 children enjoy their lunches and have a say on what they want!

ErinSophia · 14/09/2020 15:26

In my lunchbox I always had a sandwich with Scooby Doo cheese spread. I had a yogurt, fruit and a treat like crisps or a cake bar. A lot of the foods I had in my lunchbox as a child aren't available for my children today which is sad.

BearMarket · 14/09/2020 16:10

Cheese sandwich in brown, never ate white bread I hate it, salt and vinegar crisps, club, penguin or blue ribband biscuit.

Every single day for years. My choice Grin

RagnarorBjorn · 14/09/2020 21:59

Dairylea sandwiches, cut into four triangles and carefully flattened before eating!

AdoraBell · 14/09/2020 22:44

Maybe a bit boring from me, ham sandwiches with a thin layer of Dijon mustard.

When I made packed lunches for work my favourite was ham, cheese and thinly sliced onion.

MontyPat · 15/09/2020 12:28

Tuna Pitta pockets -You can hide a lot in tuna mayo, grated carrot, sweetcorn, herbs or finely chopped spring onion and red pepper.
My son does love tuna pate and I'd run out one day so I made my own in my mini chopper using a tin of tuna, garlic & herb Boursin cream cheese, and added a little lemon juice and he love that.

Nquartz · 15/09/2020 14:46

Either my mum's homemade banana bread with real butter or malt loaf also with real butter

SomeonesRealName · 15/09/2020 19:41

My mum used to send one of those single serving tubs of ice cream and it wasn't melted by lunchtime somehow! I don't think you can buy them now?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.