My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their favourite childhood lunchbox items with Soreen

207 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 01/09/2020 09:29

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

The way parents and schools think about the contents of children’s lunchboxes has changed over the years, but the excitement of realising mum or dad has given you a favourite treat remains the same. With that in mind, Soreen would like to hear about the school packed lunch inclusions you fondly remember from your childhood.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “We all want our children to enjoy their school packed lunch and feel full and energised for the afternoon of learning ahead.

But we know it can be tricky finding that sweet spot– those healthier lunchbox items that you’re happy to give your children but which won’t come home in the lunchbox untouched! Then there are the school food guidelines to think about too!

That’s why we’re introducing Soreen Lunchbox Loaves, the healthier snack that is squidgy and delicious. Each individually wrapped mini loaf contains a source of fibre and is low in saturated fat. They also contain over 50% less sugar and 70% less fat than the average cake bar and are available in 4 deliciously fruity flavours – banana, apple, malt and strawberry. Not forgetting that they’re nut free and suitable for vegetarian diets.

Plus Soreen Lunchbox Loaves are school compliant so will keep the teachers happy too!“

Perhaps you remember homemade treats making you smile? Maybe a slice of malt loaf brightened up your lunchtime? Is there anything you had for school packed lunch that you give to your children today?

Whatever the school lunchbox items you remember being your favourites when you were a child, share them on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their favourite childhood lunchbox items with Soreen
OP posts:
sheilads105 · 04/09/2020 14:08

My Mum made flapjacks and threw in different types of dried fruit with each batch - dates were my faves. I remember Soreen slices as a snack when we got home. Lovely with butter. Filled that gap perfectly.

Quietvoiceplease · 04/09/2020 16:18

A child of the 70s here (and just lost my mum so this thread is so v nostalgic). My favourite memory is thickly sliced malt loaf thickly buttered and wrapped in huge quantities of foil. Honestly was a staple of packed lunches and I can still remember her preparing it. (Mind you, boiled eggs or pork pies wrapped in foil were also staples - most disappointing unwrapping what I thought was a cupcake to find it was a porkpie!)

StandardLampski · 04/09/2020 17:02

Brand and cheese! But it was my mums home made wheaten Nd amazing!

MuddlingThrough1724 · 04/09/2020 17:43

I used to like apples. I have memories of the school dinner ladies at primary school peeling apples for children because they didn't like the skin, whereas I think its the best bit so used to eat the skins my friends didn't want 🤷🏼‍♀️😂

VividImagination · 04/09/2020 19:21

My sons current, newly discovered, packed lunch favourite is apple wedges dipped in peanut butter. Fortunately our school allows peanuts and he has a cutting tool to do his wedges! My adult sons were very into Soreen malt loaf for packed lunches and still eat it now.

SaigonSaigon · 04/09/2020 19:36

Favourite items included a Trio biscuit or a Viscount biscuit because they were rare. It was usually unbranded Tesco value chocolate covered digestive biscuit bars, Heinz sandwich spread sandwich as a treat (?) and a malt loaf 'sandwich' - two thin buttered slices stuck together wrapped in foil. The individually wrapped loaves now are so much better!

Stargirl84 · 04/09/2020 20:14

My mum used to make chocolate brioche for our lunchboxes. It was epic!

showmewhatyougot · 04/09/2020 22:22

When I was young I remember the UFO yogurts with the toy in the middle! And BNBN biscuit! They were my absolute fav! I found some in a shop last week and brought them for my son to try!

copperoliver · 04/09/2020 22:35

Ham or cheese roll, some fruit, apple juice and malt loaf. X

Dangermouse80 · 05/09/2020 08:08

Always had cheese and pickle sandwiches, packet of crisps and a club bar / penguin or a gold bar as a treat. Fruit juice carton always and sometimes a snack of grapes or apple too.
Now that I'm making the lunches lots more variety e.g bagels / wraps / fruit bread / picnic items etc. All my kids like malt loaf so that is often used.

StickChildNumberTwo · 05/09/2020 12:08

Coleslaw sandwiches. Don't think I've eaten them since.

WowOoo · 05/09/2020 12:16

I used to make myself a crisp sandwich. Not the healthiest but I loved them as an alternative to ham, tuna or cheese and pickle.

AgainstAllOdds1 · 05/09/2020 14:18

Cheese and pickle sandwiches

Monster Munch pickled onion or beef

Club orange or mint at a push fruit

Umbongo

Angel2702 · 05/09/2020 16:04

Iced gems were my favourite treat in my lunchbox.

Mayflower400 · 05/09/2020 16:09

I always loved yoghurts with bits in!!

PickledChicory · 05/09/2020 16:55

I always wanted a cold cooked chicken leg to gnaw on. Also plain crisp and red apple sandwiches These were very popular in the early1990s. I wouldnt even dare suggest any of them to my dc. Could totally go that now! Yum!

beansonbread · 05/09/2020 18:51

For me it was egg mayonnaise sandwiches on white bread but I only ever got them on my birthday as a special treat! I remember being so excited every birthday for my special birthday lunch. Normal days were ham sandwiches with brown bread - just not the same.
Think I might have to go and boil some eggs now (even though it’s not my birthday)!

gingerbeerandlemonade · 05/09/2020 20:04

Lemoncurd sandwiches, dairylea triangles and pringles in the plastic pringle pots! I also used to have a great lump of matt loaf, smeared in butter and wrapped in clingfilm... can you tell I was a 90s child?

fleapriest · 05/09/2020 22:52

Cheese and cucumber sandwiches with salt and vinegar crisps, and a wagon wheel

Theimpossiblegirl · 05/09/2020 23:34

Back in the day when you could have anything in your lunchbox, a packet of pickled onion Monster Munch was my favourite treat. Now my Dds like to have sushi as a treat in theirs! Grin

We all love Malt Loaf, and it was a Mumsnetter who introduced me to the genius idea of slicing a loaf through the middle (side to side) and buttering it to make a malt loaf sandwich.

torthecatlady · 06/09/2020 02:27

A KitKat!

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer · 06/09/2020 11:20

I loved peanut butter sandwiches or a little box of nuts. It's a shame kids can't have them in their packed lunches as they're so good for them.

becca3210 · 06/09/2020 18:22

A penguin or club bar were a welcome lunchbox addition in the 1990s

MakeTeaNotWar · 06/09/2020 18:57

Tayto cheese & onion crisps and a Capri Sun

BrandyandBabycham · 06/09/2020 20:29

We used to visit my Mum’s landlady from University days & she would give us egg & tomato sandwiches wrapped in brown paper. So good! That was my Mum’s picnic staple too. She also used to give me creamcheese & sultana or creamcheese & date sandwiches which I loved.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.