My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their favourite childhood lunchbox items with Soreen

207 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 01/09/2020 09:29

This sponsored discussion is now closed.

The way parents and schools think about the contents of children’s lunchboxes has changed over the years, but the excitement of realising mum or dad has given you a favourite treat remains the same. With that in mind, Soreen would like to hear about the school packed lunch inclusions you fondly remember from your childhood.

Here’s what Soreen has to say: “We all want our children to enjoy their school packed lunch and feel full and energised for the afternoon of learning ahead.

But we know it can be tricky finding that sweet spot– those healthier lunchbox items that you’re happy to give your children but which won’t come home in the lunchbox untouched! Then there are the school food guidelines to think about too!

That’s why we’re introducing Soreen Lunchbox Loaves, the healthier snack that is squidgy and delicious. Each individually wrapped mini loaf contains a source of fibre and is low in saturated fat. They also contain over 50% less sugar and 70% less fat than the average cake bar and are available in 4 deliciously fruity flavours – banana, apple, malt and strawberry. Not forgetting that they’re nut free and suitable for vegetarian diets.

Plus Soreen Lunchbox Loaves are school compliant so will keep the teachers happy too!“

Perhaps you remember homemade treats making you smile? Maybe a slice of malt loaf brightened up your lunchtime? Is there anything you had for school packed lunch that you give to your children today?

Whatever the school lunchbox items you remember being your favourites when you were a child, share them on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their favourite childhood lunchbox items with Soreen
OP posts:
Sarah84848484 · 08/09/2020 23:11

It was always all about the Club or Penguin treat my nan snuck in 😊

Sleepybumble · 09/09/2020 10:01

My mum used to make us little lunches for school of sliced cheese,crusty bread, sliced meats, apple and carrot. We loved them. Also loved it when she was really busy and gave us marmite sandwiches instead.

BrowncoatWaffles · 09/09/2020 12:09

I loved Mint Club bars but we only got them every couple of weeks. Ditto malt loaf - my mum loved it so used to keep it for Saturday lunchtimes so we all had some together.

At school my lunchbox was mostly the same sad looking Mighty White ham sandwich, apple, satsuma and bag of crisps. I hated (and still do) ham sandwiches so used to squidge it up and throw it away every day and go hungry... until a dinner lady noticed three years in and there was a slightly awkward period where people decided I had an eating disorder (I didn't, I just hate the smell of ham and my mum wouldn't give me anything else... it's actually a perfect example of the kind of stubborn impasses that have punctuated our relationship over the last forty years!).

On the plus side, I'm really craving malt loaf now having not had any for about 15 years - this is the point of this kind of thread, right?!

IronyFreeAnnie · 09/09/2020 16:53

I always loved marmalade sandwiches when I was at school (and still do now!), with a trio biscuit and apple juice in my flask.
DS takes after me and loves a marmalade sandwich as a treat. He also really loves the soreen lunchbox loaves- can’t try him with the original as he has cows milk protein allergy, but it is one of my all time favourite foods so fingers crossed he grows out of his allergy and can try it.

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 09/09/2020 20:06

I remember being a right pain. I hated sandwiches. It wasn't until about yr10 my parents found something I'd eat... Salads.

My DDs seem to have inherited my awkwardness.

buckeejit · 09/09/2020 21:13

Tomato ketchup in a slice of ham, then rolled up. Bluergh!

pollylocketpickedapocket · 09/09/2020 21:29

@sharond101

I loved a picnic. Crackers, cubes of cheese, slices of meat, pretzels, raisins and some nuts (when they were allowed in the good old days.)

What an annoying comment to the many parents of children who have nut allergies!
Can't believe this dick comment has been allowed
cheeseychovolate · 09/09/2020 22:44

Wagon wheels

Pimmsypimms · 09/09/2020 22:47

I'd always have a Tracker bar in my lunch box, I loved them, Had to be choc chip though!

Monty27 · 10/09/2020 00:14

Sammies usually Banana (yes i know) an apple and a drink of Kia ora juice in a Tupper ware tumbler. A penguin biscuit on a good day 😂

whatthehecksausages · 10/09/2020 07:20

Wagon wheel

MrsJamTart · 10/09/2020 07:34

Ham or cheese sandwiches, probably crisps and a chocolate bar 😮

EsmeeMerlin · 10/09/2020 11:45

If you had a packet of mini jaffa cakes you was seen as the king/queen of the packed lunches. That and mini packets of pringles.

I very rarely had packed lunches myself because we always had free school meals and my son is still in infants in which all children get free school meals. Next year he goes up to year 3 so he will take a packed lunch in.

kennythekangaroo · 10/09/2020 11:53

Marmite and tomato sandwiches or cheese and ketchup.
Green mint yo-yo or a club for biscuit.

savemejebus · 10/09/2020 13:25

I loved cold hot dogs in buns with tomato ketchup 🤦🏼‍♀️ don't judge.

Ice Gems and Mint Clubs were the holy grail along with Salt n Shake crisps, Choc Dips and Squeeze 'ems. The 90's weren't v healthy 😂

Kisforkaylied · 10/09/2020 16:18

I had a penguin bar in my lunch every day from 5 until 15! I was sick of them after that, but now if I have on, it tastes of nostalgia! My dad still buys them now.

I was the weird kid that enjoyed corned beef sandwiches!

Nicetableinnit · 10/09/2020 16:32

When we ran out of sandwich fillers my mum or dad would make dairylea triangle sarnies on white bread and I LOVED them. What they thought of as a 'bad' sarnie was my idea of a treat.

Anj123 · 10/09/2020 20:00

Packed lunches when I was a child were usually ham sandwiches. There wasn’t as much choice as there is now. Some home made cake was also welcome. If we do any baking I will include this daughter’s packed lunch 😋

burwellmum · 11/09/2020 09:33

Egg mayonnaise sandwiches and a wagon wheel.

ButterflyBitch · 11/09/2020 15:35

I think I exclusively ate cheese sandwiches as a child. Also we had penguin bars which funnily enough my own kids will have sometimes in their pack lunches.

minceandpotatoes · 11/09/2020 17:39

I usually had school dinners so was very excited to have a packed lunch on school trip days. My favourite packed lunches were ham and tomato ketchup sandwiches on white bread spread thickly with butter, and some Mr Kipling French Fancies.

Babyvibe · 11/09/2020 21:34

Fruit winders were the best to get in your lunchbox, jam sandwiches, ham and cheese sandwiches, peperami, ahh used to be so satisfied with the simplest thing.

bettertimesarecomingnow · 11/09/2020 21:42

Cheese and pickle sandwich and a penguin!

Sengi · 11/09/2020 22:18

Just came on to say we love the chocolate orange lunchbox loaves. The only thing I look forward to about Halloween! Please make them a regular thing.

MrsFrTedCrilly · 12/09/2020 01:33

Salad sandwich drenched in mayo was always a huge favourite. Both my kids think mayonnaise is disgusting so I’ll not bother passing that tradition on Smile

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.