My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their experience of time outdoors during lockdown with Samaritans

228 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 14/05/2020 16:04

This sponsored discussion is now closed

Lockdown has meant that we’ve been spending most of our time in our homes, with precious time outdoors for exercise being treasured more than ever. This July, Samaritans are launching their second Samarathon, where you can run, jog or walk 26.2 miles in your own time and pace to help Samaritans save lives.

Now that many restrictions on exercising outdoors have been eased, they’d like to hear your experience of making the most of your time outdoors so far, and what you think that looks like in the weeks to come.

Plus, if you’d like to take part in Samarathon - alone, with a friend or with your family - click here for more information.

Ruth Sutherland, a mum of two, Samaritans listening volunteer and Samaritans CEO, says; “Now more than ever we know getting active works wonders for the whole family’s mental health. Our fitness-fundraising initiative, Samarathon, is focused on feeling good, and doing good! Why not sign up with friends, family or work mates and support each other’s progress wherever you all are?”

Perhaps you’ve been stretching out your daily exercise for as long as possible or ensuring you visit beautiful spaces that help you relax? Perhaps the routine of going for a walk before or after a day working from home helps separate work and home life? Are you looking forward to spending more time in the outdoors with your family now that the rules have been relaxed?

Whatever your experience of making use of time outdoors during lockdown and how that has made you feel, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their experience of time outdoors during lockdown with Samaritans
OP posts:
MummyBtothree · 22/06/2020 23:49

We have been spending alot more time in the garden and going for more walks just to get a change of scenery mainly

Imissmoominmama · 23/06/2020 09:15

I have fallen in love with the area I live in again. I had hip replacement surgery in February and have used lockdown to it’s fullest, to walk to recovery in the beautiful Lancashire countryside. I’ve collected wild garlic and nettle tips to make pesto; I’ve laid in my back amongst bluebells, drinking in the scent; I’ve watched lambs grow; I’ve seen roe deer at dawn. I’m so very thankful for my health; my new hip, and where I live 💚.

flowersfromheaven · 23/06/2020 17:39

I have been working all way through the lock down but on my days off I have been doing some walking in the woods near were I live and now its nearly over my though's are about visiting more places in this country rather than going aboard.

Byrdie · 23/06/2020 18:18

Lockdown has begin to hit my eldest (12) hard. She got her first period during lockdown and has really struggled with the hormones. Painfully anxious of going outside, it took till June to get her to begin to take walks with me. Now we do it after dinner and it massively helps her get out of a funk.

LITTLEMUTLEY23 · 23/06/2020 18:50

We have spent alot more time outdoors as a family. Walking, picnics and bike rides. Luckily the weathers been decent.

Ashton08 · 23/06/2020 20:12

I cant wait to get down my alotment again with the kids and see what vegetables have grown.Exciting times x

Hopezibah · 25/06/2020 15:42

To start with we limited ourselves to our small garden but it just isn't big enough to walk in. Outdoors was too busy to risk it with underlying health conditions in the family. But in the end, I felt so cooped up that we had to face outdoors but we tend to go late evening or even after dark to avoid other people. Now we really do appreciate every second of outdoors.

Beach11 · 25/06/2020 18:49

Luckily the dc love playing the garden in any sort of weather.
We have gone out every afternoon for a walk in the wood and exploring. The fresh air is definitely doing us all the world of good.
We’re back at work now and I’m missing my afternoon walk and fresh air

excitednerves · 26/06/2020 05:23

I have a beautiful park nearby so I’ve been walking with my pushchair everyday, exploring new parts of the park I haven’t seen before, watching my baby enjoy seeing wildlife and trying to get a little fitter. It’s also helped my husband get some quiet time to work and do calls without baby background noise.

feejee · 27/06/2020 09:22

we are lucky to have a network of cycle tracks nearby as well as some lovely lakes to walk around. I have really enjoyed walking the same path throughout spring into summer, and noticing the changes each week

Mayflower400 · 27/06/2020 09:52

We’ve discovered lots of lovely local places for extended walks.

Aethelfleda · 27/06/2020 17:55

walking the local footpaths is fab. I’ve found new places to walk near our house that we didn’t realise existed!

EddieVeddersfoxymop · 27/06/2020 18:05

I'm in Scotland, so we are a bit behind on our distancing and rules etc.

We have definitely been outside in our local area more than usual. Both still working from home meant lunchtime walks or late evening walks. We do get tired of folding ourselves into hedges though when no one else seems keen to move aside!
We were very excited to get a little freedom recently and we were able to use our campervan to get out and about without actually having to leave it and mix with other people. It was wonderful to go and visit my mum and sit outside with our van and her gazebo - easily kept our distance and having our own loo was priceless!
Going forward, I think everyone has forgotten that we are still living through a pandemic. If it weren't for the signs and queues outside shops, you'd think we were back to normal living. I think people will get careless and forgetful but on the other hand we must get the economy moving for the good of the country. Finding a balance is tricky - I'd personally lower the distancing requirements to 1m, allowing people to get back to work, enjoy family visits and exercise as before but with one caveat- mandatory facemasks for all.

Angelfaced · 28/06/2020 20:27

Time outdoors for me and my kids during lockdown has been a lifesaver. I actually don't know how i would of coped mentally being indoors all day every day with the kids. We have a tiny garden but at the beginning of lockdown we planted seeds of allsorts which are now all coming along well - tomatoes, cougette, cucumber, green beans and strawberries. It's really helped our wellbeing and mental health. My eldest has enjoyed cycling outside and exercising and my youngest who is a toddler has enjoyed exploring the local neighbourhood, finding hidden grassy areas and feeding the ducks at a pond nearby. Letting them have some space outdoors to let of steam and explore has been so therapeutic. I have always appreciated the outdoors but truly for this lockdown period its been so important to us all.

ClaraSais · 28/06/2020 21:15

We finally got our garden returfed before lockdown after years of putting up with an unusable and messy garden due to unscrupulous gardeners. It’s honestly changed our life! We’ve been able to sit out there, have the paddling pool, slide and water pistols fights! We are so grateful to have the extra outdoor space!

CrocodileFondue · 30/06/2020 23:59

We don't have a garden but get out every day to walk in the woods and play in the river, I've loved having extra time with my child experiencing nature. We've found loads of fish, toads, frogspawn, froglets, different birds and eggs, squirrels, rabbits etc. It's been fantastic and always helps me release the pressure of home.

Possiblywickedandlazy · 01/07/2020 15:30

I have walked a lot during lockdown and have absolutely loved it. It’s made me realise that when it ends I want to spend much more time walking than in the gym. It’s so much better for my wellbeing. I feel really lucky to have spent so much time outside watching the changing seasons.

rachaelsit · 01/07/2020 22:22

We are still remaining pretty local as a family of 5, taking an evening walk to quite often to get us through that hard 4-6 period. If we venture to the coast on a warm day it has been at 8am before lots of people descend. We live in an area with remote coastal spots however so it’s not difficult to distance.

Carriecakes80 · 01/07/2020 23:22

Because we home ed anyways, not an awful lot changed during the day for my lot, as we have so many fields out behind our house that not a lot of people ever venture onto that we were able to take some lovely walks without seeing anyone throughout lockdown.

But it is nice to be able to get out, take a picnic and just enjoy the good weather we've been having. The kids have missed their friends and family, so going out for a long walk really relaxes them when it comes to bedtime!

Onebabyandamadcat · 06/07/2020 09:50

We've rediscovered our neighbourhood. Usually it's straight out the door and into the car to go somewhere but over the past few months we've found lots of nice walks on our door step. My wee girl loves getting into her trike and going a wander to find new areas. A few weeks ago we found a new walking park with routes in the woods and lots of natural things to climb - the last time I'd been in that area it was just wasteland!

Onebabyandamadcat · 06/07/2020 09:51

We've rediscovered our neighbourhood. Usually it's straight out the door and into the car to go somewhere but over the past few months we've found lots of nice walks on our door step. My wee girl loves getting into her trike and going a wander to find new areas. A few weeks ago we found a new walking park with routes in the woods and lots of natural things to climb - the last time I'd been in that area it was just wasteland!

mollysmammy · 06/07/2020 19:09

I've found it very hard, it's just my Daughter and I (her Father has zero involvement), but, she would usually see my Mother once a week and stay overnight. My Mum would usually take her out, which gave her a bit of a change, and allowed me to catch up with the household chores. She's an only child, so it can be quite demanding, as it's just me and her, she has no one other than me, to entertain her (no siblings). We've been spending more time in the garden, I've had more time since being off work, to do gardening, teach her trampolining, and go in the paddling pool (and yes, I donned my swimsuit and got in! I don't care what the neighbours thought of my Mum tum...!)

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

notnowdennis · 06/07/2020 23:02

I ran my first half marathon during lockdown. I had a whole season of planned races that just disappeared overnight- all would have been firsts and it was so sad to lose connection with my running club and all our goals. So a few of us did our own races alone anyway and had a virtual finish line celebration together on zoom.

My son and I loved finding new walks from our door - I had no idea the sheer number of footpaths in my local area. We found inspiration from running friends on Strava and used OS Maps and recommendations from walking groups. We now have dozens of new favourite walks.

CatMit86 · 08/07/2020 09:40

We are very lucky to live working very close walking distance to one of the royal parks, so going for daily walks working the park and gardens has been a life saver for us.

xxxxclarexxxx · 10/07/2020 13:43

I think a little walk to the park near our home has been a great help during lockdown, it's been all go at work as akeyworker then days off at home so a little escapism to the park has helped lots!
Wish we had a little garden that would have helped lots

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.