My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their experience of time outdoors during lockdown with Samaritans

228 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 14/05/2020 16:04

This sponsored discussion is now closed

Lockdown has meant that we’ve been spending most of our time in our homes, with precious time outdoors for exercise being treasured more than ever. This July, Samaritans are launching their second Samarathon, where you can run, jog or walk 26.2 miles in your own time and pace to help Samaritans save lives.

Now that many restrictions on exercising outdoors have been eased, they’d like to hear your experience of making the most of your time outdoors so far, and what you think that looks like in the weeks to come.

Plus, if you’d like to take part in Samarathon - alone, with a friend or with your family - click here for more information.

Ruth Sutherland, a mum of two, Samaritans listening volunteer and Samaritans CEO, says; “Now more than ever we know getting active works wonders for the whole family’s mental health. Our fitness-fundraising initiative, Samarathon, is focused on feeling good, and doing good! Why not sign up with friends, family or work mates and support each other’s progress wherever you all are?”

Perhaps you’ve been stretching out your daily exercise for as long as possible or ensuring you visit beautiful spaces that help you relax? Perhaps the routine of going for a walk before or after a day working from home helps separate work and home life? Are you looking forward to spending more time in the outdoors with your family now that the rules have been relaxed?

Whatever your experience of making use of time outdoors during lockdown and how that has made you feel, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their experience of time outdoors during lockdown with Samaritans
OP posts:
IM0GEN · 15/06/2020 13:23

My adult daughter has been living at home during lockdown so we go out for a walk together each evening. We have now signed up to do a fund raising challenge for our local Maggie’s Centre so we try to walk 10km each night. She’s also cycling about 20k each day to get our distance up.

Nofunkingworriesmate · 15/06/2020 17:58

Dragging a miserable moaning child around the forest inspired be to make a couple of trails, the first was a animal one, metal animals bought from the garden centre stolen in days so had to do painted ones, then, in another wood did favourite kids story book, bought two copies, cut it up and laminated made arrows, regretted the hassle half way though all the painting, cutting etc but setting it up and regular trips to maintain it has lead to much happier child Smile

theAntsareMyFriends · 15/06/2020 21:13

With 3 energetic boys we find getting them out is essential. We've done a lot of outdoor learning (flower surveys, mini beast hunts, writing with sticks, sun dials) and find lessons outdoors work better.

We've also been enjoying exploring the local wild areas and just enjoying nature and seeing how places change when you visit them regularly. I've been pleasantly surprised about how far my kids can walk and places we are enjoying now I had previously discounted places as "too far to walk". I love nature and find it so uplifting to see an animal, spot and orchid or hear a cuckoo and I'm very lucky that my kids seem to enjoy it just as much as me.

SunnySummerDays · 15/06/2020 22:47

I’ve walked every day, a different walk every day. I’ve really loved the silence in the evenings, no cars, just birdsong. I’ve started cycling too and been brave going out along the lanes, made less stressful and easier because the numbers of cars are missing. I’ve also loved the tranquility of sitting in the garden with a book and listening to the birds and enjoying my flowers.

ItsANewWorld · 16/06/2020 00:03

With the onset of lockdown I started walking at 7.15am each day for about an hour. To my delight I discovered many local walks and countryside I didn't know existed. In the end I found myself sticking to a similar route each day, enjoying the familiarity of the walk. The views changed as the months passed - from frost to warm sunny days. It really has been a revelation and a chance to slow down.

Gazelda · 16/06/2020 09:47

We've discovered so lovely walks. We're so fortunate that we have fabulous parks, canals, woods etc.
I've also downloaded a birdsong identifier app which is lovely to monitor while I have a peaceful coffee in the garden on sunny mornings.

Flapdoodles · 16/06/2020 18:52

We have definitely upped our walking and go out once a day as a family. We are very lucky to live next to a country park and it was lovely walking around in the quiet surrounded by bluebells. Since people have been allowed to travel literally hundreds of people are now going there every day, many more than before, which has curtailed our walks a bit as we are struggling to maintain social distancing. However we are still walking everyday, just around the estate where we live. The DC don't mind though as it means they can ride their scooters!

Magicshoppingtrolley · 17/06/2020 07:50

We’ve been racking all the local walks near us that we’ve been meaning to explore, but never had the time because of commute and DC’s hobbies. We've found some beauty spots.

I’ve also started C25K which is some me time away from work and home schooling. It’s a great time to think.

CakeCakeCake21 · 17/06/2020 12:34

My kids despise walking, so DH and I have taken to leaving them at home for an hour in the evening while we go for a walk. (they are old enough!). It has been lovely to have some couple time and also explore the neighbourhood, I have found woodland walks and field walks that I had no idea were near to my house. I hope to continue this! Recently we have been able to go further afield to estuaries, beaches, rivers and that has been lovely too.

Perro · 17/06/2020 13:29

We have been on daily family walks, discovering and trying new routes. We’ve all benefited from this, mentally and physically, even though the dc are at an age when they wouldn’t usually want to hang out with their parents!

hiddenmichelle · 17/06/2020 19:32

We are going for walks as a family more which is nice and spending more time in the garden having bbqs and eating outdoors whenever the weather is good enough. I have been gardening more and really enjoying it - the summer bulbs are coming up now so looking forward to them flowering.

UnicornsForLife · 18/06/2020 15:59

We have been making sure we get out into the garden everyday. When we go for a walk we pass the horses and cows field.

10milewalk · 18/06/2020 18:42

We've been out on our little allotment most days and it's been lovely to seeing my son learning how to grow food for the whole family. We've also been out walking as a family most days, which we have really enjoyed.

claza93 · 18/06/2020 19:20

Lots of time spent in the garden and the forest at the back of our house. We have discovered some wonderful walks on our doorstep and my other half has taken the big three out for lots of long bike rides :)

Mitcholiver · 19/06/2020 07:08

We have done lots of planting this year and our garden is looking lovely. We have also taken the kids to different nature reserves in our local area, we have discovered lots of new places that we didn't even know!!

alwaysataldi · 19/06/2020 15:50

Taking the dogs for a walk, getting the bikes out and going 'round the block' on them, and the garden trampoline -it's so important to get fresh air and vitamin D from sunlight.

MeMeMeYou · 19/06/2020 21:37

My New Years resolution was to go for a walk every day and I was failing miserably. Lockdown has meant I’ve gone for a walk most days, more than not. Recently moved into this area so it’s been a good way to get to know it. Def lifted the spirits and alleviated the stress lockdown has brought

TheHoneyBadger · 20/06/2020 00:07

It's been a real sanity saver for me. The fresh air and exercise is part of it obviously but also seeing the sky and the trees and being in nature is a reminder of how temporary and man made most of our problems and stresses are.

I've always had this little thing where I'll get out and look up and say, "the skies still there!" Smile

I've had problems with depression and anxiety on and off since I was a teenager - sometimes life threateningly bad. There are small things I've hung onto and being able to look up at the sky, away from all of the problems on the outer edge of the planet, or to sit on the ground and rest into it deeper than the surface problems has always been a 'real' reality check for me.

What has been strange is finding that all my little quiet public footpath routes are suddenly bustling with people as others have found themselves too needing that connection with the 'real' world.

Will look into samarathon. I hadn't heard of it and a friend of mine volunteered with the samaritans for years and I think she could be easily persuaded to join me in doing it.

Thanks for all the work you do. I've never called but I know people who have and have been helped in really dark times.

user1475009690 · 20/06/2020 00:17

I’m lucky to live near a country park where there is a mix of woodland and meadow walks and plenty of water which is wonderful for the soul. My mother died during lockdown and I know friends have been keeping an eye on me and inviting me to walk and talk with them in the park. I now make concerted effort to ask some of my friends who I know are struggling to join me as well. Feeling fitter and more positive.

spyder1990 · 20/06/2020 13:49

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ChaoticCatling · 20/06/2020 20:23

We've been taking the time to explore our local area and going on walks we didn't seem to find the time for before.

I am looking forward to when Scout meetings and camps can start again. My teenager attends fortnightly zoom Scout meetings but has no interest in doing any Scouting activities on his own at home. He needs to be back in a group. I would have thought that Scouts is fairly well suited to social distancing as so many activities can be done outdoors, the actual Scout hut could be avoided for now.

Leanfun · 21/06/2020 10:35

It’s the first time I’ve been happy we have a long hallway up and down. Lots of walking. Also so thankful we have a garden.

Alo2019 · 22/06/2020 14:33

Me and my children have been doing more exercising and garden we have planted a lot of vegetables. We have Also took up a lot of baking x

MonetManet · 22/06/2020 17:08

We’ve been going for walks and spending some time in the garden. However my DC are older and it takes quite a lot of encouragement to get them outside.

CornishTiger · 22/06/2020 22:31

Been walking solidly through lockdown. Exercise has been early morning walks or weekends. Explored local area more and started cycling too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.