My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sponsored discussions. If you'd like to run one with us, please email [email protected].

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Sponsored threads

Mumsnet users share their experience of time outdoors during lockdown with Samaritans

228 replies

JustineBMumsnet · 14/05/2020 16:04

This sponsored discussion is now closed

Lockdown has meant that we’ve been spending most of our time in our homes, with precious time outdoors for exercise being treasured more than ever. This July, Samaritans are launching their second Samarathon, where you can run, jog or walk 26.2 miles in your own time and pace to help Samaritans save lives.

Now that many restrictions on exercising outdoors have been eased, they’d like to hear your experience of making the most of your time outdoors so far, and what you think that looks like in the weeks to come.

Plus, if you’d like to take part in Samarathon - alone, with a friend or with your family - click here for more information.

Ruth Sutherland, a mum of two, Samaritans listening volunteer and Samaritans CEO, says; “Now more than ever we know getting active works wonders for the whole family’s mental health. Our fitness-fundraising initiative, Samarathon, is focused on feeling good, and doing good! Why not sign up with friends, family or work mates and support each other’s progress wherever you all are?”

Perhaps you’ve been stretching out your daily exercise for as long as possible or ensuring you visit beautiful spaces that help you relax? Perhaps the routine of going for a walk before or after a day working from home helps separate work and home life? Are you looking forward to spending more time in the outdoors with your family now that the rules have been relaxed?

Whatever your experience of making use of time outdoors during lockdown and how that has made you feel, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Mumsnet users share their experience of time outdoors during lockdown with Samaritans
OP posts:
shrill · 28/05/2020 17:00

Apart from essential walks to get prescriptions and food, we have actually stopped walking as the area became busier than usual with so many joggers, walkers & cyclists. Now we just can't get the motivation and the roads have become busier so not able to step into the road away from others.

lorka · 28/05/2020 23:03

We've been out walking a lot more and sometimes a little jog too! Smile

GriseldaChop · 28/05/2020 23:20

We've loved going out for walks as a family and have found some lovely places on our doorstep we didn't even know existed! I'd like us to keep going for walks together as it's been relaxing and a great chance for us to chat and spend time together, as well as clocking up some steps to try and counteract the lockdown eating!

alwaysataldi · 29/05/2020 12:37

We have been blessed with dry warm weather for the majority of lockdown which has meant we have been able to spend a lot of time outdoors, seeing the flowers grow, plant seeds an see a little blue tit make it's nest in our bird house, we've been outside so much more and in the sunshine has made the experience more bearable.

agnapoop · 29/05/2020 21:47

I'm very lucky that I live next to the south downs. As a family we have discovered new and lovely walks during lockdown which is something that we hope to continue. We gave a new appreciation for the area around us.

TheCatServant · 01/06/2020 17:47

I have definitely enjoyed nature more than usual during lockdown. I think it has forced us all to slow down a bit. For me this has been the garden and also I have been walking on paths I didn't even know existed near my home. It has made me reflect that some good has come out of this situation.

gemima27 · 03/06/2020 20:52

We have been taking long walks in the local area. We have found walks around the local reservoir that we would not normally go to because they wouldn't feel safe, but now so many other families are doing the same thing it is now a pleasant place to visit.

AllNewThings · 10/06/2020 02:55

Walking has been the only time I've felt good mentally throughout lockdown. I have 5 DC and it's helped me to feel like I can 'breathe'. I enjoy being outdoors anyway, but whenever I've started to feel overwhelmed, walking has helped me regain perspective. We've found a couple of really interesting new walks to do as a family and we've spent more time in our garden than we ever have. If I can't go for a walk for whatever reason, I sit outside and do the thing of closing my eyes and concentrating on what I can hear, smell and feel around me.

Anj123 · 10/06/2020 18:28

I have discovered lots of places on my doorstep that I never knew existed! I enjoy going out for walks but must admit I don’t go out every day as I’m home working and busier than ever. The weather hasn’t been great the past few days so I have only been out briefly.

CheeryCherry · 10/06/2020 21:45

I’ve worked ridiculous, stressful hours throughout lockdown, and care for my elderly mum when I’m not working so my time outdoors has been more restrictive than normal sadly. Have spent a little time in the garden but I’ve been generally too exhausted and low to be motivated to get outside and exercise.

Tootle10 · 10/06/2020 23:20

I've been taking my 4 year old and 1 year old out for a walk every day since lockdown began. We've rediscovered our local area and watched the seasons change. We've all enjoyed seeing the baby ducks appear at the duck pond and visiting them each week, they're now fully grown. We watched the daffodils appear and then disappear. We chat and tell stories. It's my favourite part of the day and has been a real joy.

thanksamillion · 10/06/2020 23:25

We've definitely expanded our knowledge of local walks. We've explored much further and also the DC have got used to just going for a walk and chatting. I've been taking them in turn so a good way to get some 1:1 time.

Lifesbetterwithwine · 11/06/2020 15:53

I’m trying to get out for a run or walk everyday and I’ve discovered some lovely new streets near me in the process. Sometimes I go with my family but often I prefer to go alone for some ‘headspace’. Now we can meet up with another person for a 2m distanced walk, I’m arranging regular walks with a couple of friends round the local park. Being able to get out each day has may lockdown much more bearable.

Zzzexhaustedzzz · 11/06/2020 20:54

I have done more walking than usual which is good. I have put on the pounds though because my teaching job has changed from 16 hours a week standing and walking in a classroom to sitting down teaching online! Me and my daughter have benefitted from more time out walking together.

WilmaJean · 12/06/2020 08:21

We have been going for a walk each day -enjoying the local nature reserve on our doorstep.

PurpleGoose · 12/06/2020 11:47

We are very lucky to live semi rurally, so have been making the most of our local walks - not something we normally have time for in the week!

FawnDrench · 12/06/2020 15:16

Have only done a little more walking than usual as nowhere much to go round where I live.

Plus I'm not and never have been a real fitness fan and definitely need to do a bit more exercise.

Cotswoldmama · 12/06/2020 20:28

We've been going for daily walks but also spending a lot more time in the garden.

like7 · 12/06/2020 22:24

We have really enjoyed doing different local walks most days. Weather has helped. Have also spent much more time in the garden which I've really enjoyed. In the last few weeks have done some distanced walks with friends. Feel so much better afterwards even on the times I've had to make myself go.

wellingtonsandwaffles · 13/06/2020 17:53

We’ve spent more time in the garden than we’ve ever spent and have done lots of i oak walks. We make sure we get our every day for a walk and explore more than aiming for a specific point. Individually, I’ve taken up running and I find the days I exercise outside, instead of to YouTube In the lounge, My mental health is much better and clearer.

buckeejit · 13/06/2020 20:51

We are all happy homebirds & lucky to have a decent sized garden. However, it makes a massive difference to how we all get along if we get out out to get some air & see some nature. We're not super sporty but definitely benefit from a good walk for everyone's mental wellbeing

emphasisofmatter · 14/06/2020 06:40

I'll know this period as the time we went on so many walks my daughter finally learnt to scoot like a boss! We go for a short walk most days and a longer walk at the weekends. When the weather allows we spend loads of time in the garden and bouncing on the trampoline!

Pascha · 14/06/2020 13:18

We've been discovering bike trails in the local woods and quiet roads. Now the forestry sites are open we've come out to Bedgebury to do the trails there. My kids are now better than me at some of the tough parts.

Firsttimemummy200 · 14/06/2020 15:21

Hi can someone reassure me I’m being silly. I’m 13 weeks and 3 days pregnant and hit in to the trolley, it hurt only for a second and haven’t felt any pain/cramping just worrying myself!

SillyMoomin · 15/06/2020 12:20

Just once a day even for only 15 minutes, a walk, even if just to the post box and back, helps so much.

I'm such a believer in the power of fresh air, to cry in, laugh in, joke in, or scream, it blows everything away

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.