My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary education

Emanuel waiting list movement

47 replies

Mothernearest · 10/02/2024 12:49

I’ve asked this on the 11+ thread but asking again to hopefully get more answers.

DS has been waitlisted for a place at Emanuel. It’s ours and his first choice. He has two offers elsewhere so has good back up options but we’re wondering whether we should keep our hopes up for a place opening at Emanuel or not.

My understanding is that there was little movement last year but was anybody actually offered a place from the waiting list and when was that?

thank you

OP posts:
travelturtle · 11/02/2024 08:42

We know quite a few who got in from WL two years ago when DS1 applied. Last year they had more acceptances at 10+ (so same cohort as our DS2 joining 2024) so a handful deferred places until 11+. I’ve said it elsewhere too but I think as a result of over acceptances last year for this yeargroup they will have been cautious this year so I’d expect the WL to move once people decide where they are accepting. Good luck and fingers crossed.

525Autumn · 12/02/2024 22:24

I think there will be quite a bit of movement this year. They appear to have offered to a lot of extremely academic candidates who have offers from the likes of St Paul’s, Westminster, Latymer, Kings etc and who are therefore unlikely to accept an Emanuel offer. So fingers crossed for you

ncsurrey22 · 12/02/2024 23:16

Would agree with the above two posters. Lots of movement two years ago, very little last year, would expect movement this year. I know at least 3 in DD’s class alone who will turn their offer down. It’s a great school but as others have said, they are now so selective that those offered are largely the same ones holding LU / Alleyn’s / WHS / KGS etc offers.

farfallarocks · 13/02/2024 01:47

I agree, from dds cohort who were offered I only know of one sibling accepting and the rest have got Alleyns too and are accepting that.

QuiteAJourney · 13/02/2024 08:55

If they have been conservative with their offers and even accounting for the fact that they are becoming increasingly popular, I would expect them to go to WL. Going by last year, they offer quite a lot of kids that have it as a banker - at my DD's prep, the acceptances to offers ratio was around 1/4, with many of the DCs with offers opting for Westminster, LU, WHS, PHS or KGS, with quite a few of the rejections coming quite early: some families rejected outright but the majority of us attended the offer holders' days for a 'sense / final check' but rejected shortly after. The picture seems to have been similar at other preps and, from what people are reporting may well be similar this year. Also, there will DCs getting some of the grammars on the 1st March or any other firs choice state school (e.g. Lady Margaret, etc). So I would expect movement but more likely in late Feb / Early March.

If it is your preferred option, and if not done so, get in touch with them and let them know, including flagging why that is the case (note that Emanuel is a school that usually strongly values contribution to extra-curricular and DC being keen to be part of the Emanuel 'family').

Good luck.

HawaiiWake · 13/02/2024 12:41

Worth getting in touch. Emanuel is coed and they have stated clear sibling policy unlike LU, though marks are clearly explained unlike some schools which have no or very vague policy. We know families with multiple kids choosing Emanuel over LU even though they nearer to LU.

Sunnyside77 · 14/02/2024 11:46

Emanuel is also my daughter’s first choice (and ours) and she is on the waitlist. Any top tip to pursue the wlt and school? I tried to ask for where she was on their wlt but they didn’t say. Thank you.

Sunnyside77 · 14/02/2024 12:15

By the way, does anyone know when the offer day for Emanuel is? Thanks again

farfallarocks · 14/02/2024 13:34

It’s on Tuesday. Good luck!

travelturtle · 14/02/2024 15:00

Sunnyside77 · 14/02/2024 12:15

By the way, does anyone know when the offer day for Emanuel is? Thanks again

They are running 3 on Tues/Weds/Thurs so things might start to move a bit after that I think

Sunnyside77 · 14/02/2024 15:14

Thank you, hopefully some movements after that.

Sunnyside77 · 23/02/2024 09:25

Has anyone heard anything from Emanuel and their waitlist? I have been in touch twice but get their “automatic” reply. Thanks

SA3rules · 23/02/2024 09:34

I doubt anything will move much until after the state offers day. That has a knock on effect on all schools.

QuiteAJourney · 23/02/2024 13:29

In case useful, some reporting in the SW 11+ thread that Emanuel has gone already to waiting list.

Sunnyside77 · 23/02/2024 13:33

Thank you! I did ask if they could tell me where on the wlt my dd is, but they didn’t want to say anything.

HawaiiWake · 23/02/2024 13:34

Someone reported WL move but didn’t answer if they got a place or that they given up their place and WL could be moving.

farfallarocks · 23/02/2024 14:47

Places are being offered just to confirm

Sunnyside77 · 23/02/2024 23:11

Thank you, fingers crossed it moves more. I’m very curious to know where my DD is on the wlt, but looks they they don’t want to advise on that. Would be useful to give an idea if there’s any chance at all. Have a lovely weekend and good luck for those still waiting

BONNIECLYDE1 · 23/02/2024 23:59

farfallarocks · 23/02/2024 14:47

Places are being offered just to confirm

Surprised by this….Was your DC offered a WL place?

HawaiiWake · 24/02/2024 07:35

As mentioned in another thread, I think unless you personally know someone offered from WL, you still have time by Mon or grammar offers day to find out. So all the best and good luck and not get stress over this weekend.
I do know a parent telling their DC, they going to go to XXX school and turning down the others when they only have 1 offer so not to upset DC and also because kids in preps talking and comparing offers.

Sunnyside77 · 24/02/2024 09:07

Yes thanks. Kids say so many things and I guess we also try and do everything to protect them.

Balhamdad11 · 24/02/2024 10:49

I spoke with Emanuel on Thursday morning and they said responses had been slow and that they would know more later next week on whether the waiting list would move. So I’m surprised to hear that people had been offered from it

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Sunnyside77 · 24/02/2024 11:06

Thanks, makes sense.

travelturtle · 24/02/2024 11:10

I don’t think it’s moved yet as lots of people still haven’t accepted or rejected places yet. Know current parents waiting for sibling WL places who haven’t heard yet either.

farfallarocks · 24/02/2024 13:37

Sorry if I’ve inadvertently caused
drama. One of dc’s friends was made an offer from the wait list. I’ve not heard of anyone else. Just one. The mother told me rather than the child and I don’t think she’s making it up as her dd has offers elsewhere to Jags and Alleyns which she is accepting. If they’ve been cautious this year I think the wait list will move again. Hopefully
people release places before others have to pay deposits!
we’ve released everything now bar our top choice. Good luck all!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.