Please or to access all these features

Property/DIY

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Spring house selling/buying support thread

777 replies

PyjamasForever · 13/04/2026 21:16

After quite a lengthy time on the market I finally have an offer on my house and have had an offer accepted on a house I want to buy. I’m feeling a bit uncertain it will happen with the current financial situation and wondered if anyone else in a similar position wanted a thread for a bit of moral support?!

We’ve instructed solicitors, filled out our TA6 and TA10 forms, applied for a mortgage and have some documents to send them… I then find the next bit the hardest bit about buying and selling when you have all those uncertain weeks with searches/surveys etc and it could all fall apart at any minute!

OP posts:
WWBWBapparently · 24/09/2026 15:48

Oh amazing news, so pleased for you! Hopefully this will soon be a distant memory! Good luck and really hope you love your new home

WWBWBapparently · 24/09/2026 16:28

Still no exchange as the bottom solicitor has decided to raise more enquiries by all accounts!!! At this stage!!!!!!! Meant to be completing Monday!

I want to state that we exchange by 12pm tomorrow or we will pull out. DH is holding me back.

Sadteacher · 24/09/2026 16:37

Fabulous news @KrankyKumquat , had being keeping my fingers crossed for you!

@WWBWBapparently that’s just ridiculous. There should be a rule no new enquiries after the first month of the process or something.

2longinthetooth · 24/09/2026 17:48

@KrankyKumquat So pleased for you, we were hoping for the best outcome, at least you can breathe a bit whilst you cope with your ptsd. Christ that was close to the wire. Hopefully you can put this trauma behind you, to enjoy your home and get back to living.

@WWBWBapparently oh dear god what is the matter with these solicitors, did they give a reason, I cant understand if they say exchange day is x why it doesnt happen.

@GlaceCherryFromThePast all the best for you on completion, bet you are on pins, zero sleep for you tonight.

Sending you all positivity that this will happen for you and you will look back on it and say it didnt break you. I understand how you feel about pulling out altogether.

2longinthetooth · 24/09/2026 17:53

@WWBWBapparently oh just seen your post, literally how many enquiries can there be about a bloody house, ours have had nearly 4 months and still asking questions ffs down the line. Stupid part my buyers house is practically a new build, what is there to ask about it, i swear the solicitors do it to justify their job.

HouseMoveRound2 · 24/09/2026 17:53

well done @KrankyKumquat i was rooting for you!

WWBWBapparently · 24/09/2026 18:09

2longinthetooth · 24/09/2026 17:53

@WWBWBapparently oh just seen your post, literally how many enquiries can there be about a bloody house, ours have had nearly 4 months and still asking questions ffs down the line. Stupid part my buyers house is practically a new build, what is there to ask about it, i swear the solicitors do it to justify their job.

Same! Our buyers house is also still within the NHBC warranty. It’s a joke. Just have to hope now that they like the answers to these enquiries at this late stage in the game. I’m half expecting a very last minute demand for a price reduction from them.

2longinthetooth · 24/09/2026 18:36

@WWBWBapparently that happened to me on my last property, went all the way and then asked for 10k off, told him to jog on and he pulled out. Its a very underhanded game but I wont be held to ransome like that. Tbh at the time the market was boyant and we sold it a week later, we were only selling, there was no onward property. There should be laws against it tho. Some people have money to burn.

WWBWBapparently · 24/09/2026 20:13

Well if he does ask for a reduction I won’t be sucking up any of the cost, either my buyer does or we pull out. We aren’t that desperate to move.

HouseMoveRound2 · 25/09/2026 10:59

due to exchange Monday, solicitors lower down the chain have been on leave all week and no one can confirm in their absence that they will be ready to go on Monday. A nail biting weekend of just hoping that they got everything lined up before they went off - would have been nice if they’d confirmed the readiness to exchange status either way, or let people know they would be off, but I’ve long since given up thinking solicitors communicate anything tbh

2longinthetooth · 25/09/2026 11:43

@HouseMoveRound2 awful isnt it, trouble its just everyday work for them, there is a blase attitude. No urgency. They purposely dont communicate because that allows room for abuse so they keep closed with communication. Its wrong and should be changed, I know my solicitors secretary said they get calls all the time wanting things done in 1 day but its not possible. Searches take weeks, but what i dont get is enquiries dont take weeks unless they have to dig out or research paperwork for obscure stuff. With emails how can communication between solicitors take in our case 2 weeks. Our solicitor is great he gave us a pack at the start outlining how long to expect for things. He told us its taking 14 to 16 weeks on average. He is very down to earth and takes no bs. We accepted that and was going along happily until 12 weeks when estate agents start poking their nose in, mentioning exchange. Now im back on track im not taking any msgs from estate agents and will wait for my solicitor, at this moment he is the only 1 who has given us correct info.
Have they given you a completion date?

WWBWBapparently · 25/09/2026 12:34

Still no exchange, have come home from work as im so stressed now. Bottom solicitor has been asked this morning are you ready to exchange for the agreed completion date Monday. Silence.

HouseMoveRound2 · 25/09/2026 13:19

@2longinthetooth hoping to complete next Friday, so if exchange doesn’t happen Monday it’s not the end of the world, although there are lots of logistics to sort between exchange and completion so could really do with those 4 days 🥴🥴

@WWBWBapparently how long have you been trying to exchange for now?

WWBWBapparently · 25/09/2026 14:14

We’ve been held up a month, trying to exchange for a week. Everyone had agreed Monday is completion day but here we are and it’s Friday afternoon and we’ve still not exchanged.
My solicitor has advised against exchange and completion the same day due to how they’ve behaved the whole time. We don’t have any trust they will do it.

jay55 · 25/09/2026 14:15

@WWBWBapparentlythat sounds beyond stressful. Really hope it all sorts itself out next week.

2longinthetooth · 25/09/2026 14:48

@WWBWBapparently omg im fuming on your behalf, no wonder you are stressed, there is no question that you can trust them to exchange and complete on the same day, surely there is someone at their solicitors that can shed light on the zero communication ie off sick or leave. What about the bottom of the chain people can they not get hold of anyone to explain. You shouldnt have to run round like this.
How unprofessional is this. Everyone has agreed a date and they go awol.

2longinthetooth · 25/09/2026 14:51

@HouseMoveRound2 id get the date pinned down tho because youll end up in the same position as wwbwbapparently. The stress is too much.

WWBWBapparently · 25/09/2026 14:54

I’m swinging between wanting to cry for the time we’ve wasted on this process if it falls through now to sod it, let’s just pull out now.

2longinthetooth · 25/09/2026 15:03

@WWBWBapparently yes well no wonder you feel like that, bet the whole chain is fuming. Id go on what your solicitor says now. So sorry this is happening to you.

WWBWBapparently · 25/09/2026 17:29

Well it’s all pretty much gone pear shaped. At the 11th hour the buyer didn’t have funds ready. Part way through a remortgage of another property to be able to buy our buyers.
So we are on stop. We are buying a new build and they are now saying they will pull our purchase. Hoping we can reason with them and more importantly find out how long the delay is at the bottom. Been lied to all along - beware anyone telling you they are cash buyers. It’s generally bollox

Beebumble2 · 25/09/2026 18:40

WWBWBapparently · 25/09/2026 17:29

Well it’s all pretty much gone pear shaped. At the 11th hour the buyer didn’t have funds ready. Part way through a remortgage of another property to be able to buy our buyers.
So we are on stop. We are buying a new build and they are now saying they will pull our purchase. Hoping we can reason with them and more importantly find out how long the delay is at the bottom. Been lied to all along - beware anyone telling you they are cash buyers. It’s generally bollox

This is awful for you, so sorry. Surely their and your solicitor should have had evidence of any cash funds, to prove no money laundering was happening.
Fingers crossed that your new build sellers will be understanding.

WWBWBapparently · 25/09/2026 18:54

He’s no where near a cash buyer. Has remortgaged a property,and also has a mortgage for the remainder.

Need to get to the bottom of where exactly he is now and whether a) he has the money for the purchase and b) if he has how long will it take.
The mortgage part of the funds was requested and now has to be returned to the bank as he didn’t have his deposit from the remortgage through in time.

HouseMoveRound2 · 25/09/2026 18:58

oh no @WWBWBapparently what a horrible blow. Is there the possibility the buyer will get the funds shortly, or are they having to pull out and you needing are now needing to find a new buyer?

shit news here as it’s looking like issues lower down on the chain that we thought would be resolved probably haven’t been, but no one bothered to check, so now at the 11th hour we are finding out exchange is highly unlikely on Monday, and even if dows miraculously happen there is no chance of completion by that Friday as movers still need to booked etc.

so tentatively pushing it back yet again, I just want this to be over with 😭

WWBWBapparently · 25/09/2026 19:31

We just don’t know what situation the bottom buyer is in. From what I can understand he’s remortgaging another property to release a chunk of funds and will be having a small mortgage for the rest.
It’s the remortgage that still hasn’t gone through to release his money. The other money had come through from the mortgage company but will have to be sent back now and reapplied for when ready.

WWBWBapparently · 25/09/2026 19:33

I think he’s still looking to buy but we don’t know how far through the remortgage process he is. You’d think he’d be keeping an eye on things and would let the solicitor know in plenty of time that it isn’t coming in time.