My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Favourite colour for a bedroom?

37 replies

Indecisivelurcher · 25/02/2024 19:55

What's your favourite colour for a bedroom? We can't decide at all. Tried testers in blues, pinks, neutrals, most rooms in the house are green so trying to avoid my natural inclination. Bedroom is east facing.

OP posts:
LindaDawn · 25/02/2024 22:01

Maybe try some wallpaper or neutral coloured walls with some pics. I fancy a pinkish lavender for my bedroom when I next paint it. I too love green and prefer to have green in the downstairs living areas.

blackcatsyeah · 25/02/2024 22:12

Following for inspiration!

Fundays12 · 25/02/2024 22:22

A lot depends on how much light you get and what you want up create look wise. I had a dark green wallpaper on one wall but though it's a large room it closed the space in but the room doesn't get a lot o natural sun light. I now have Egyptian cotton with nice pictures shelves, mirrors and plants up and it's much brighter and larger looking.

TizerorFizz · 25/02/2024 23:13

Farrow and Ball Borrowed Light brightens a room. Looks great with white bed linen and with pops of yellow or even maroon. Very versatile.

We have also just used F&B Setting Plaster. Wonderful with rattan furniture. Another room is Peignor. A fantastic soft greyish pale lavender. We have used it with a soft pink and green paisley bed spread and white shutters. I think it’s relaxing and smart.

KnickerlessParsons · 25/02/2024 23:36

You can't beat a nice clean white for a bedroom IMO.

deeprealisation · 26/02/2024 00:02

Blue and white - cool & calm

CatsKnowTheAnswer · 26/02/2024 01:25

Fundays12 · 25/02/2024 22:22

A lot depends on how much light you get and what you want up create look wise. I had a dark green wallpaper on one wall but though it's a large room it closed the space in but the room doesn't get a lot o natural sun light. I now have Egyptian cotton with nice pictures shelves, mirrors and plants up and it's much brighter and larger looking.

Yes I agree with this. I'm a fan of bold , rich colours and they always look great in Instagram himes, but it never translates well to smaller, darker rooms. I've finally learnt to embrace the neutral and get over my bias that warm soft tones equals boring; Egyptian cotton is my forever friend! I have paired it with rattan, plants, bold paintings and brass accessories in my east facing bedroom and it feels very calming but still retains interest

TrudyProud · 26/02/2024 02:05

Our room is dark blue (sapphire salute) with white ceilings, architraves and white shutters.

Love it. It's so calming and homely. Despite 2u2 I always get a great sleep and find it easy to sleep.

shenandoahvalley · 26/02/2024 02:10

Has to be a calm place for me. White, green from plants, but different textures: fluffy white rugs, crisp white cotton sheets and blanket, wooden floor. I don’t like to “live” in my bedroom, just sleep, so I don’t need or want things in the room.

thebestinterest · 26/02/2024 02:31

Indecisivelurcher · 25/02/2024 19:55

What's your favourite colour for a bedroom? We can't decide at all. Tried testers in blues, pinks, neutrals, most rooms in the house are green so trying to avoid my natural inclination. Bedroom is east facing.

Our bedroom is east facing and we went with a very uplifting sunrise yellow. We were worried that it would be too much, but it’s not; it’s been beautiful waking up in that room as it’s very uplifting.

We don’t have curtains in our bedroom window either, so the morning sunshine really just makes it glow.

thebestinterest · 26/02/2024 02:34

Also want to add that our floors are oak and the trim / molding is white.

SpidersAreShitheads · 26/02/2024 03:20

thebestinterest · 26/02/2024 02:31

Our bedroom is east facing and we went with a very uplifting sunrise yellow. We were worried that it would be too much, but it’s not; it’s been beautiful waking up in that room as it’s very uplifting.

We don’t have curtains in our bedroom window either, so the morning sunshine really just makes it glow.

Would you be willing to post a photo, even just a tiny glimpse, or would that be too outing? Your bedroom sounds lovely!

Tarquina · 26/02/2024 03:31

Bright yellow

thebestinterest · 26/02/2024 05:09

SpidersAreShitheads · 26/02/2024 03:20

Would you be willing to post a photo, even just a tiny glimpse, or would that be too outing? Your bedroom sounds lovely!

1st pic is from the day I painted it; pic taken in early evening.
2nd shows first bits of morning light (and a bed frame I really loved, but had to replace because it was too squeaky).
3 more details.
4 a better view of the room.

it’s a very happy room ☀️ ⛅️ both DH and I still to this day (painted it 4 yrs ago) comment how lovely it is to wake up to such a cheerful color.

thebestinterest · 26/02/2024 05:11

Tarquina · 26/02/2024 03:31

Bright yellow

♥️

Indecisivelurcher · 26/02/2024 06:58

How can you sleep with no curtains!!!

OP posts:
Janetime · 26/02/2024 08:44

Indecisivelurcher · 26/02/2024 06:58

How can you sleep with no curtains!!!

I have relatives who do this, they do have them, but they never shut them. And when they come to stay with us,they don’t shut them then either, or if we stay in a hotel etc, so in the summer they have daylight streaming in at 4am . And when they go to bed it’s the bare glass.

i think it’s quite unusual but not rare as such.

thebestinterest · 26/02/2024 12:07

Janetime · 26/02/2024 08:44

I have relatives who do this, they do have them, but they never shut them. And when they come to stay with us,they don’t shut them then either, or if we stay in a hotel etc, so in the summer they have daylight streaming in at 4am . And when they go to bed it’s the bare glass.

i think it’s quite unusual but not rare as such.

I don’t know why I don’t use the curtains… 😭 I can tell you though, that I love being woken up by the sunlight, so maybe that’s it? I love big windows and always think it’s a shame when people have them covered up with curtains.

DH hates it by the way, but lost the battle since I got him some nice eye covers.

socks1107 · 26/02/2024 12:09

We have a spring green and white. I love it and have recently added a tiny hint of pink in some new bedding. It feels fresh and calm

CatsKnowTheAnswer · 26/02/2024 12:22

@thebestinterest

Your room is stunning ! A smiley, happy, warm room I can see why you love it. But tbf, any paint colour would look great in there - it's huge! I don't know why but it gives me American vibes? I'm imagining a big wrap around verandha outside with a swing seat and a homemade lemonade pitcher!

thebestinterest · 26/02/2024 13:09

CatsKnowTheAnswer · 26/02/2024 12:22

@thebestinterest

Your room is stunning ! A smiley, happy, warm room I can see why you love it. But tbf, any paint colour would look great in there - it's huge! I don't know why but it gives me American vibes? I'm imagining a big wrap around verandha outside with a swing seat and a homemade lemonade pitcher!

We live on the East Coast of USA.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

DappledThings · 26/02/2024 13:13

We have a lovely dark blue. Craig and Rose Flanders Blue. Dark wood furniture. Dark grey curtains.

I hate white or other neutrals. They always look stark and are the opposite of calming and restful for me.

CatsKnowTheAnswer · 26/02/2024 13:16

Ahhh, that'd be it then. American properties always seem bigger, brighter and more architecturally interesting . For instance, the dual aspect Windows wouldn't be a common feature in the UK, well not within cities anyway. Beautiful!

HemlockSoup · 26/02/2024 13:27

I have F&B’s Setting Plaster in my bedroom and I love it. A gorgeous muted pink. Calming but not insipid. 

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.