My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

OMAZE house

471 replies

walkinthewoodstoday · 02/01/2023 20:42

So, I'm thinking of entering this competion. Clearly as much chance of winning as me getting an Olympic gold medal, but I keep reading that these 'amazing' houses have issues. Eg one has been massively flooded and another is so close to the cliff edge that it might be uninsurable and when it falls the owners will have a massive clear up bill. The current one is in Finsbury Park and I've even been sad enough to streetview it. Can't see any obvious issues, so why is it an OMAZE house? Please enlighten me!

OP posts:
FrustratedAndFuming · 03/01/2023 21:28

I actually viewed this house in July 2022 when The Modern House were trying to flog it. I think it was on for 3.1/3.2.

It's beautiful. The decor and finish is superb - the husband is in the building trade, the wife works in fashion (Birkins shoved into shelves in the master bedroom's wall in wardrobe).

We did the research - it's the most expensive house in the area...by a country mile. It faces on to a little green with cricket in the summer. They'd try to sell it before with no luck. The story was they wanted to sell so they could build a place in Ibiza. It was a bugger getting a viewing - they were so weird with times. If you worked a normal corporate job, you just couldn't see it.

We didn't put an offer in because a) too much money b) never buy the priciest house in the area. We wouldn't have made money on it over time and c) take away their decor and furnishings, and it ain't that great.

Structurally it was solid and unique. Ultimately, just over priced and maybe they were greedy or delusional or spent too much on it to drop the price. The place does have permission for a basement excavation

Meredusoleil · 03/01/2023 21:35

I entered a different house lottery a few years ago, which was not run by Omaze. It was only £5 a ticket, but the house was worth less than £1m as only 2 beds in an expensive part of London.

Anyway, when it closed, it turned out they hadn't sold enough tickets to sell the house (there was a minimum amount of £ needed, can't remember how much). So they never did give the house away I'm the end! The money went to charity I think.

NewHouseNewMe · 03/01/2023 22:39

I actually viewed this house in July 2022 when The Modern House were trying to flog it. I think it was on for 3.1/3.2.

It's beautiful. The decor and finish is superb - the husband is in the building trade, the wife works in fashion (Birkins shoved into shelves in the master bedroom's wall in wardrobe).

We did the research - it's the most expensive house in the area...by a country mile. It faces on to a little green with cricket in the summer. They'd try to sell it before with no luck. The story was they wanted to sell so they could build a place in Ibiza. It was a bugger getting a viewing - they were so weird with times. If you worked a normal corporate job, you just couldn't see it.

We didn't put an offer in because a) too much money b) never buy the priciest house in the area. We wouldn't have made money on it over time and c) take away their decor and furnishings, and it ain't that great.

Structurally it was solid and unique. Ultimately, just over priced and maybe they were greedy or delusional or spent too much on it to drop the price. The place does have permission for a basement excavation

This makes sense. It’s a whopping asking price for the Holloway Road.

justdoingmyduty · 03/01/2023 23:00

I am guilty of signing up to the monthly subscription!! £10 a month for 30 entries to each house that is available. I just got another 30 entries for the London house on the 1st January, but secretly hoping that I win the lake district house as I would literally abandon my life, take my dogs and maybe my DS, and move straight in!!

I no longer have any debts, which I am extremely proud of, and I have no criminal convictions, so I think I'm good! But I'm disabled and I'd never, ever have enough money to buy a house of my own. I guess I'm not buying a chance to win a house, I'm buying the chance to daydream about a better life for a few months!!

Petlover9 · 03/01/2023 23:01

PeekAtYou · 02/01/2023 20:49

Bloody hell. I'm glad that I clicked on this thread now.

Me too, thanks. I might just get a lotto ticket, we probably all have as much chance as winning Omaze. That London house has no parking that I can see

Edinburghmusing · 03/01/2023 23:16

@Petlover9 literally a front drive in the first photo 😂

justify · 04/01/2023 01:23

I enter all the British Omaze draws, I see it as the only chance I have of home ownership. I would sell if I didn't like the property. I thought that if I loved the property I could get equity release to afford to continue to live in it.

custardcreme77 · 04/01/2023 05:05

It’s worth a tenner entry just for the dreams it enables.

I’ve entered every omaze house competition except for the Cornwall one. I didn’t fancy that house at all. Too much glass to clean…

Londonlondon6 · 04/01/2023 09:01

What would you say it’s worth out of curiosity? 2.5?

Londonlondon6 · 04/01/2023 09:02

Notpop · 03/01/2023 18:16

I actually know someone who won one of the Omaze houses (can't say which one as too outing). They would pay capital gains tax if they sold it straight away and Omaze do give you money towards running costs. Don't know about the prize winners being vetted, but they are a fairly photogenic family with no skeletons in the closet (that I'm aware of 😂)

Do they live in it? Or did they sell?

JauntyJinty · 04/01/2023 09:26

Meredusoleil · 03/01/2023 21:35

I entered a different house lottery a few years ago, which was not run by Omaze. It was only £5 a ticket, but the house was worth less than £1m as only 2 beds in an expensive part of London.

Anyway, when it closed, it turned out they hadn't sold enough tickets to sell the house (there was a minimum amount of £ needed, can't remember how much). So they never did give the house away I'm the end! The money went to charity I think.

This a fairly common scam, which I thought Omaze was at first!

They set up a minimum number of tickets they never expect to reach (if they do they'll be quids in anyway). Then when they don't reach the minimum what they have is donated to charity "after costs". They'll have some company in Belize or somewhere else with a 1% tax rate that owns the copywrite to the UK company name. The amount of money that company then charges the UK company for use of copy write is eerily similar to the amount of money they raised!

It’s the same technique the likes of Nike use to move their profits out of the UK without paying any Tax, but at least they do provide a product!

Eustonia · 04/01/2023 09:38

Just a comment on the CCJ. A former work friend / colleague won one of the lesser prizes a while back (being deliberately vague).

They had had a CCJ about 2 years previously which they had paid (but it’s on record for 6 years). I know this because they discussed it with me when they had an attachment of earnings. So I think having debts or CCJs in itself is not a bar. I imagine having a trail of unpaid debts might be.

Notpop · 04/01/2023 09:41

@Londonlondon6
They are living in it due to the capital gains tax they'd have to pay if they sold it straightaway. I think if it is your main residence for a period of time then cgt isn't payable when you sell

Edinburghmusing · 04/01/2023 09:50

@Notpop if you live in it for 18 months no tax when you sell. I may have made a plan for when I win.

Notpop · 04/01/2023 09:54

@Notpop if you live in it for 18 months no tax when you sell. I may have made a plan for when I win.

Always good to have a plan Smile

Flapjackquack · 04/01/2023 10:01

That’s not how it works. There is no set time you have to live somewhere for it to become your principal residence, it’s about the quality of occupation. If you moved in day 1 and registered to vote there, moved to a local GP, your kids to local schools etc, and you then sold, it’s would be your principal residence and no tax would be due on sale. It’s where there are gaps in occupation that tax starts to become due. I’m not going to go into the ins and outs of PPR relief but it’s not as simple as living there for 18m and buggering off.

Edinburghmusing · 04/01/2023 10:11

Oh well that’s good news. In that case you can all look forward to the two threads around the end of this year about (I) have you seen that London omaze house has just been sold and (ii) I’ve just come into a big sim of money, where should I go travelling for a year.

Seasonofthewitch83 · 04/01/2023 10:28

I love it - even the open bathroom. The rightmove pics of it before the Omaze makeover are nicer and more homely. DH and I both work in central London so it would be perfect for us!

The Lake District house - mmm no. I watched a walkthrough on youtube and the super long hallway creeped me out.

FrustratedAndFuming · 04/01/2023 10:42

@Londonlondon6 - had it been listed at 2.5m, I'm sure that would have sparked more interest. That's also a figure I probably would have bitten at. Instead we got a similarly sized house, in a better location, with less "wow" for 2.3.

The other issue with that house was schools. People buying that kind of real estate want private - you've got Highgate not too far away, but for pre-prep and prep, you're shafted.

It was definitely a house you could just move into. It was immaculate, despite them having two Afghan hounds. They had teenage children (3, judging by bedrooms' contents), so that's who would also have to have bought it. We were looking at having kids in the next two years, and that's not a "young family" home.

FrustratedAndFuming · 04/01/2023 10:44

@Seasonofthewitch83 - the bathroom was heavenly! My DP exclaimed it was like we were in a hotel.

It was definitely far more beautiful before the Omar's makeover. However, the garden shed was in a rawer state when The Modern House were trying to sell it. The boot room behind the kitchen was also only half done.

Bouledeneige · 04/01/2023 11:24

I live quite near this house though in a smarter part of the area. I don't know this exact road or the school. It's actually quite a long way from Emirates so unlikely to be affected on match day. Like many parts of London there's well off and poorer housing cheek by jowl - it's very mixed. So the school might not be the best. But excellent transport links into the centre of town - 2 stops to St Pancras.

Might walk round there and have a look later or tomorrow. Will share pics if I do! It's about 20 mins from where I am.

Outnumbered99 · 04/01/2023 11:27

@AnnieSnap I have actually stopped wearing Daisy perfume simply because of that advert it drives me that mad

McDonaldsMcChanel · 04/01/2023 11:50

Why are there films of the winners finding out they're winners when Omaze say that winners are notified by email?

Maybe their winner criteria includes acting skills.

Flapjackquack · 04/01/2023 12:00

@McDonaldsMcChanel 😂😂 “act shocked, no that’s giving me fear, more surprise, more confetti, the camera loves you!”

McDonaldsMcChanel · 04/01/2023 12:04

😂😂"put your hands over your mouths, dude put your arm over her shoulder, no don't squeeze the living daylights out of her, try holding hands, nah go back to just doing what you were doing, do you have a dog? Hey you, carollers, you're too loud!..."

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.