My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Japanese toilet and bathtub

47 replies

Cissyandflora · 15/07/2021 19:34

I’m having a bathroom remodel in the next year. I’m very keen on the Japanese style ‘smart’ toilets. Does anyone have one?
I’m also interested in getting a Japanese style tub. I’ve looked at omnitubs but seen some poor reviews.
Has anyone got any of this fancy stuff and can you recommend?
Thank you!

OP posts:
hyperbole001 · 15/07/2021 19:37

Yes I have a Japanese toilet. Wouldn't be without it!

AlexaShutUp · 15/07/2021 19:41

I love Japanese bathtubs, and would jump at the chance of having one of these. The toilets are cool too. Smile

Cissyandflora · 15/07/2021 19:43

Can I ask you which one do you have? And how long have you had it?

OP posts:
Cissyandflora · 15/07/2021 19:45

@AlexaShutUp

I love Japanese bathtubs, and would jump at the chance of having one of these. The toilets are cool too. Smile

The footprint is smaller than an ordinary tub which is why I’m planning to treat myself. For once it seems less space suits this luxury!
OP posts:
ElderMillennial · 15/07/2021 19:45

I've got a bum gun

AlexaShutUp · 15/07/2021 19:46

Absolutely, they're very compact. And so relaxing!

FlouncingBabooshka · 15/07/2021 22:48

Watching this with interest as we’ve been considering both.

@Cissyandflora, where did you see the poor reviews for Omnitub? The reviews on Trustpilot are overwhelmingly positive - I think they had an 86% excellent rating.

hyperbole001 · 15/07/2021 22:52

@Cissyandflora

Can I ask you which one do you have? And how long have you had it?

www.betterbathrooms.com/p/wall-hung-bidet-toilet-built-in-dryer-and-spray-purificare-beba_24911

I have this one. Have had it for over a year now.
bassackwards · 15/07/2021 23:12

Yes we have 2 Japanese toilets, both Toto washlets. It's my hubby who really benefits from them (sensitive bum, doesn't like loo roll) and I love the warm seats! Wouldn't be without them now.

I haven't heard of a Japanese bathtub tho! Do tell...

AlexaShutUp · 15/07/2021 23:15

Short and deep, as opposed to our long shallow ones. Some of them auto-fill to the desired temperature at the touch of a button too! Love them...

Warmduscher · 15/07/2021 23:21

There was an article in The Times last week where researchers found that the nozzles on Japanese toilets could be reservoirs of superbugs that are resistant to antibiotics.

FlouncingBabooshka · 15/07/2021 23:24

Warmduscher - that’s instantly killed my desire for a Japanese toilet!

Would still like a tub though…

BlackAmericanoNoSugar · 15/07/2021 23:30

I have an Oronsay from this company. I do love it and enjoy being shoulder deep, however if I'd had a bit more space I would have gone for an Islay so that I could extend my legs a little more as it's quite a tucked up position. Anyone over about 5' 10" or with longer than usual legs probably wouldn't be comfortable in the single-seat version.

Houseplantmad · 15/07/2021 23:37

I’ve got a Japanese loo (a European version actually). After a trip there two years ago we had one put in as our downstairs loo recently. I love it. Would also have a bathtub too but the loo will have to do for now. I figure if I get too decrepit to go up the stairs I’ll at least have sparkling front and back bottoms.
It’s a Vitra V care comfort smart toilet from a company called bidet shower. I think it’s a much better design than the Japanese ones and has a remote control rather than the side handle with controls. Doesn’t have the sound effects to disguise noises though Grin
If you’re in London and want to try a Japanese loo, visit Japan House at High Street Kensington!

Houseplantmad · 15/07/2021 23:39

Regarding the nozzles, the modern ones self clean after each use so I’m not sure how they would harbour bacteria anymore than say a tap. They are tucked away when you are going to the loo…

Warmduscher · 15/07/2021 23:48

@Houseplantmad

Regarding the nozzles, the modern ones self clean after each use so I’m not sure how they would harbour bacteria anymore than say a tap. They are tucked away when you are going to the loo…

A tap isn’t used to hose down your arse after going to the toilet though.
Cissyandflora · 16/07/2021 07:38

They are 600mm deep and a square shape so that it’s more like a hot tub experience. You can also get them with water jets and fancy lights.

OP posts:
Cissyandflora · 16/07/2021 07:41

@FlouncingBabooshka

Watching this with interest as we’ve been considering both.

*@Cissyandflora*, where did you see the poor reviews for Omnitub? The reviews on Trustpilot are overwhelmingly positive - I think they had an 86% excellent rating.

You are right- there are lots of positives it was just that the people who did have the issues with their tubs received quite horrible customer service from omnitub on the trust pilot website. Omnitub gave defensive and rude replies that have deterred me from using them.
OP posts:
Cissyandflora · 16/07/2021 07:46

@BlackAmericanoNoSugar

I have an Oronsay from this company. I do love it and enjoy being shoulder deep, however if I'd had a bit more space I would have gone for an Islay so that I could extend my legs a little more as it's quite a tucked up position. Anyone over about 5' 10" or with longer than usual legs probably wouldn't be comfortable in the single-seat version.

Brilliant thank you. I’ll check this out. I’m thinking of enlarging the bathroom slightly so it’s going to be a long project. I want to get everything planned though.
OP posts:
Cissyandflora · 16/07/2021 08:08

@Warmduscher

There was an article in The Times last week where researchers found that the nozzles on Japanese toilets could be reservoirs of superbugs that are resistant to antibiotics.

Username checks out as they would say on Reddit
OP posts:
Cissyandflora · 16/07/2021 08:11

@bassackwards

Yes we have 2 Japanese toilets, both Toto washlets. It's my hubby who really benefits from them (sensitive bum, doesn't like loo roll) and I love the warm seats! Wouldn't be without them now.

Fantastic. Thank you. I was looking at the Toto. That seems to be the one in the U.K.
I’m making space for two in my plans. I get so excited about remodelling! I’ve rented all my life (35 years paying rent) and I finally scraped together enough to own a space. Very small but I’m thrilled.
OP posts:
Warmduscher · 16/07/2021 08:26

Username checks out as they would say on Reddit

What does this mean? I never use Reddit.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Warmduscher · 16/07/2021 08:29

Don’t worry - just googled it.

My username is the name of one of my favourite bands Smile

Cissyandflora · 16/07/2021 08:52

@Warmduscher

Don’t worry - just googled it.

My username is the name of one of my favourite bands Smile

It’s just a joke on Reddit if anyone has a username that relates to what they say in a comment. And yours is great for this topic! Haven’t heard of the band but will do now.
OP posts:
Warmduscher · 16/07/2021 08:54

They are fab if you like that sort of thing!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.