My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Primary Education forum to discuss starting school and helping your child get the most out of it.

Primary education

gutted for my little boy

123 replies

Bubblesquirt · 18/04/2017 03:51

So he goes to a catholic school is in nursery there and hasnt got in to reception. Absolutely devastated been sat here crying. Hes been given a school 10 min drive away and im due another baby in october. C section, therea no way im gonna be able to get him there. Has anyone appealed and had any luck. Were in manchester area.

OP posts:
Instasista · 19/04/2017 07:21

ohshame you're saying the same as everyone else- insurer tells you you can drive when you feel ready and the GP says you can. When you go to the GP they will ask if you feel like you can, maybe suggest practising an emergency stop and that's it. They're is no test or examination.

Fwiw I had complications and wasn't ready until 6 weeks. I knew I wasn't emergency stop ready because I didn't have the strength to control the clutch and stalled coming off my drive. So it's easily testable even if you literally do go to a quiet road and practise an emergency stop.

Devilishpyjamas · 19/04/2017 07:21

No one has said you must drive after 5 days. Just that the 6 week thing is a bit of a fallacy. Yes check with your insurance company and your medics, but over the years of my 3 sections I was told I was fine to drive if I could move pedals freely, do an emergency stop and there was no need to wait 6 weeks.

I think I waited about 5 weeks after my first, 3 weeks after my second and ten days after my third. Something like that.

Thirtyrock39 · 19/04/2017 07:33

Ive known lots round our way appeal and get in definitely can happen. I can't believe people advising to hold your kid back a term- by that point they'll be like a 'new kid' and if they don't know many going to the school it'll be harder than starting at the same time plus it'll make it a really hard second half term with a brand new baby and a 4 year old if you keep him off till Jan plus it's cold and you'll be stuck inside - for your sake i would start him in September so you can have time with the new born and to recover and he will be busy at school

Headofthehive55 · 19/04/2017 08:02

And for some cote recovery can be slow - irrelevant whether muscles are cut! I certainly couldn't stand up properly let alone get out of bed easily. For quite some time. Certainly we give out information that suggests you drive when you are able - for some surgeries an estimate is given of six weeks- but can vary from person to person.
Telling people that you'll be fine after a few days I think would be irresponsible because it does put a lot of pressure on someone to fit into a timetable that might not be right for them.

tiggytape · 19/04/2017 08:07

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

corythatwas · 19/04/2017 08:42

Glad to see that you are feeling better now, OP.

Come October, I am sure you will be able to sort something practical out, whether that turns out to be driving or walking or getting friends to help or even taking the odd taxi.

And he is young and will make new friends.

AmberLin · 19/04/2017 08:49

Hi OP, we are in a similar situation to you. Didn't get any of our choices. We live 2 minutes away from our second choice and about 10 minutes to our first, both oversubscribed. Know lots got in through sibling rule, we had moved to area last year believing the catchment would get us in. Also in Manchester. Situation here is dire, lots of upset parents. We've applied to private school (Bolton) thank God. We never thought it would happen like this, there are so many schools around here (2 outstanding) but they are full to the brim it seems.

smellyboot · 19/04/2017 14:31

The Manchester sibling rule does mean that people can move miles away after their 1st child is in and still get sibling priority in the most popular schools. It happens quite a lot.
Spaces also come up in Yr3 onwards / KS2 when some people leave state schools to go private and then people who live further away can then get their older DC in - and then get the younger siblings in and so on. I know loads in those situations; they live way outside of the distance you would need to live within to get a first born child in and you end up with half the intake being siblings at least if not more.

The Manchester stats show that there are loads of spare places though so no need for bulge classes. There are no catchments in Manchester as such, so assume you both may be a different LA just outside Manchester itself?

AmberLin · 19/04/2017 17:03

We're salford if that is any different. I spoke to our first choice primary months ago, told them our address and they were so confident we'd get a place!! SPoke to first and second choice today and it was confirmed all places were taken by siblings. We are pissed off given the heavy parent drop off traffic outside our house twice a day, I've heard some parents come from a town about 3 miles away too. Seems barmy.

House34 · 19/04/2017 17:48

We had a similar situation - we visited our 1st choice school and were told by the head teacher that we were very likely to get in and we should defiantly put it down as first choice - she was so certain that we would get in based on the admissions criteria, that we didn't think much about the other choices we made - just listed the next closest schools - found out today that we didn't get in because the whole reception year are siblings! . I know one parent lives 10 miles away and only got their son in because he has an older brother in year 6 this year. We are very annoyed that 1) we were lead up the garden path by the head and 2) this sibling rule - surly the siblings have to be in the local area, not 10 miles away.

smellyboot · 19/04/2017 21:21

Salford is generally same criteria as Manchester except where some schools have their own admission criteria e.g faith schools. That means siblings have priority even if they live miles away. Some are genuine and its where they have moved and can't get into a new local school, but yes tons either move soon after they get the oldest in or get an older child into a school in KS2 (In year transfer) and then get subsequent reception entry DC in. Same happens in London. Its happens at our school and schools near by us although its normally only 50-60% siblings per intake year.

shouldwestayorshouldwego · 19/04/2017 22:20

50% siblings would be expected. If you consider that the average family has two children. With the exception of multiple births one will be older and one younger, so 50% younger and 50% older. 50% younger siblings in a class would be similar to the population. Obviously there are only children who are balanced by larger families.

A fairer sibling policy is to have a limited area of a few miles because at primary age it is tricky to have two drop offs and otherwise people on the edge of areas might get one in but not a younger sibling. Beyond a few miles it's not really fair that people travel miles in to school.

CactusFred · 19/04/2017 22:43

If it helps when I wanted to drive after my c section my car insurance told me the 6 week thing is crap, just need gp to give me the all clear - then it's recorded.

I was driving after a week.

BarbarianMum · 20/04/2017 10:32

Around here the categories are as follows:
-looked after children/children a statement naming the school
-in catchment w siblings attending the school
-in catchment

• out of catchment w siblings attending the school
  • out of catchment

which seems reasonable to me.
AmberLin · 20/04/2017 10:44

That does seem reasonable barbarian it's just a blanket sibling rule where we are. They've emailed people today stating their positions in the queues. Our local 2 minutes walk school has stated distance was the reason a friend didn't get in (0.6miles) yet their receptionist yesterday all places had gone to siblings. They really can't use the distance excuse with me. We are so close! Looking forward to hearing from them.

shouldwestayorshouldwego · 20/04/2017 14:16

You might still not have got in on the grounds of distance AmberLin. If the last child admitted was not a sibling but even marginally closer to the school (as measured by them) who is in the same category as you (i.e. 29 siblings and one closer than you) then distance will be the tie breaker which means you don't get in. It is worth campaigning for a smaller area to be considered reasonable for a sibling here it is two miles, unless first child admitted from that house. It seems fair because over two miles (in an urban area) includes lots of houses/flats you could move to. For most families it will only be a few years untill all children in school. If a child is placed in a school more than two miles away (e.g. like some of you now) siblings can still attend. It does stop people though from renting a telephone box outside the school for 6 months and then moving 10 miles away but still having a guaranteed place for lots of younger siblings.

AmberLin · 20/04/2017 16:46

just found out we are 4th on the waitlist for our 1st choice and 2nd for our 2nd choice. there is still hope! there are more than 45 people on the waitlists as well... wow

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain · 23/04/2017 12:28

Are you Catholic OP? Are you definitely in the correct admission category? Mistakes do happen so good idea to double check.

Bubblesquirt · 23/04/2017 21:28

Hi everyone. No he isnt catholic hence why i thought was the reason for him not getting. But found out it was his attendance. Before xmas he had his tonsils out but before that was ill. Having antibiotics around 17 times in a year, developed hsp and other side effects due to infections he was getting. Since xmas he hasnt had a day off, so was annoyed at that as was out of our hands. We know someone who has got in who has no sibling and isnt catholic. I like the school where he is going it just takes about 45 minutes in traffic, but suppose got to do wat got to do. Xx

OP posts:
HonorBright · 23/04/2017 21:32

Bubble

I have never, ever encountered a school (professionally or personally) where attendance in the non-compulsory preschool / nursery is a criterion for admissions in Reception. By that logic, children who did not attend the nursery class because they went to private nurseries or stayed home would not be admitted, either. Who gave you this information? I would be very sceptical. Is this a specific, published criterion in the admissions policy?

I appreciate that you won't want to name the school but if you would like to post or PM the admissions criteria then I'm sure that we can help.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain · 23/04/2017 21:42

That cannot be right. Ask the school to provide you with the admissions' criteria plus the basis you did not get a place. To check you are in England and this is a state school right?

smellyboot · 23/04/2017 23:20

There is no way that attendance would be in a admissions criteria. Its Salford so normal LA state school etc. That can not be the reason and yoiu have been given wrong information. There is no need to attend the nursery ever esp if age 3-4 they are ill!
Call the Salford Admissions team; it must be on distance etc

shouldwestayorshouldwego · 23/04/2017 23:32

I agree that sounds wrong. I would talk to the council who should still control the lists and if there is definitely an error might give a place without an appeal. As pp said requiring any attendance at linked nursery is very unusual and taking into account sick days sounds like an error in interpretation even if attendance in general was a category. Would definitely appeal to get to the bottom of it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.