Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Maternity pay - miss out by days - will midwife amend due date on MATB1?

HayleySteve95 · 29/11/2021 10:49

Hi, I am 19 weeks pregnant and have my 20 week scan on Thursday 2nd December. From my dating scan my due date is 21st April 2022 - however this is an IVF baby and the actual due date should be 26th April. To be entitled to higher rate maternity pay my due date needs to be 2nd May :( I am losing sleep over this and cannot afford to miss out on this maternity pay - I will lose out on nearly £4,000 and won't be able to afford very long off with my baby. Does anyone know when I will get given my MATB1 form? Do you think my midwife would put my due date as 2nd May instead to help me out, or will they refuse and put the due date of 21st April from my dating scan? It's really worrying me - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe · 29/11/2021 14:32

[quote Littleheart5]**@MrsColon* actually ‘thus speaks’ someone who has been through many many* rounds of IVF[/quote]
Yeah right Wink

Please
or

loislovesstewie · 29/11/2021 14:39

If the system in the NHS is the same as in local government the midwife might well have to report to whatever is the equivalent of Internal Audit in order to protect herself. So, no please don't try to persuade her.

Please
or

IntermittentParps · 29/11/2021 14:43

WTF?
You want the midwife to commit fraud for you?
Jog on.

Please
or

aprilanne · 29/11/2021 15:12

Sorry but since this an ivf baby you obviously planned this while its fantastic that it worked you can hardly complain you planned this knowing 🙄

Please
or

Carriemac · 29/11/2021 15:15

I think you have nothing to lose by asking.

Please
or

IntermittentParps · 29/11/2021 15:18

@Carriemac

I think you have nothing to lose by asking.

Really?
Please
or

Carriemac · 29/11/2021 15:20

what's the worst that can happen?

Please
or

BoredatHome321 · 29/11/2021 15:23

@Carriemac

They say no. That's not really the point though is it...
Please
or

IntermittentParps · 29/11/2021 15:30

@Carriemac

The midwife can be done for fraud.
Or do you not care about that/consider it to be 'bad'?
Please
or

Skyll · 29/11/2021 15:33

The midwife would be done for fraud and might have to report the op for trying to defraud her employer?

Please
or

Blackberrybunnet · 29/11/2021 15:49

same thing happened to me. Dates from GP were determined by a logarithm. I knew in my head when the "real date" would be (according to my cycle). He refused point blank to change. In the event, baby was born on "my" date, so it all worked out re maternity pay/leave etc, but that GP gave me months of anxiety over finances. Unfortunately, you seem to be asking midwife to alter dates by much more than might be a reasonable request. You can't ask her to commit fraud. sorry

Please
or

Cattenberg · 29/11/2021 18:01

I’m really surprised that many IVF pregnancies are dated from the 12 or 20 week scan. IVF pregnancies can be dated more precisely than natural conceptions.

I had a fresh transfer and my due date was calculated based on my egg retrieval date and did not change, even though my baby measured behind at 12 weeks and ahead at 20 weeks.

Not that this helps OP, sadly.

Please
or

Pompom2367 · 29/11/2021 18:05

They won't do it op it's fraud I wouldn't even ask as it puts them in a very difficult situation

Please
or

BoredZelda · 29/11/2021 19:06

The midwife would be done for fraud and might have to report the op for trying to defraud her employer

Only if she agrees. Which will be on her. And no, she won’t have to report her to her employer. 🙄

Please
or

AnotherEmma · 29/11/2021 19:22

@HayleySteve95

Hi, I am 19 weeks pregnant and have my 20 week scan on Thursday 2nd December. From my dating scan my due date is 21st April 2022 - however this is an IVF baby and the actual due date should be 26th April. To be entitled to higher rate maternity pay my due date needs to be 2nd May :( I am losing sleep over this and cannot afford to miss out on this maternity pay - I will lose out on nearly £4,000 and won't be able to afford very long off with my baby. Does anyone know when I will get given my MATB1 form? Do you think my midwife would put my due date as 2nd May instead to help me out, or will they refuse and put the due date of 21st April from my dating scan? It's really worrying me - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It seems unlikely that you'd lose out on £4K. You can most probably claim Maternity Allowance instead of SMP. The amounts are only different for the first 6 weeks, when SMP is 90% of your salary and MA is £151.97/week. After that (weeks 7-39) they are both the same, £151.97/week.

Your salary would have to be about £47k a year for the difference to be £4k. Is it?

Assuming you don't have significant savings (perhaps spent on IVF?) you might be eligible to claim universal credit when you start maternity leave, this depends whether you have a partner and if so how much they earn.
Please
or

SickAndTiredAgain · 29/11/2021 19:24

@AnotherEmma because OP mentions “higher rate” maternity pay, I assume that maybe she’ll get SMP either way, but miss out on an enhanced mat pay package her company has for employees who’ve been with the company a set amount of time.

Please
or

AnotherEmma · 29/11/2021 19:29

SickAndTiredAgain
I guess it could be enhanced (contractual) maternity pay. Perhaps OP will clarify.

If there really was £4K at stake, you'd wait and do IVF the following month, wouldn't you??

Please
or

gofg · 29/11/2021 19:40

Of course you can't ask the midwife to alter the date - I can't believe you would even consider it!

Please
or

Asi1 · 29/11/2021 19:43

Usually enhanced pay has to be paid back if an employee does not come back to work. I know as l refused it as l can't be sure if l am going back.

And no, your midwife can't commit fraud. You are getting SMP and asking someone to risk their career for your benefit will put them in a worse position then you will be in getting only SMP.

Please
or

Aranciata · 29/11/2021 20:16

If there really was £4K at stake, you'd wait and do IVF the following month, wouldn't you??

In my case no, not if the IVF was going well that cycle. After many cycles and then embryo banking it was all about the possibility of it working.

That said in some circumstances yes, someone could potentially wait a cycle.
But we don't know if the OP was on her first cycle, or a funded cycle that was use it or lose it, or whether she'd planned to do a frozen transfer the next month and actually there were no embryos good enough to freeze so the clinic advised to transfer then. Or maybe it was a frozen transfer after lots of cycles where her lining didn't thicken enough, or thickened too much, and the clinic suggested she go for it that particular time.
It could also be that she just didn't think of the qualifying period, which sounds a bit daft but you can be really caught up in treatment to the exclusion of many other things.

Just a few reasons why someone might not postpone IVF, there are many others.

I've already said that I would never ask the midwife to commit fraud. I could lose my job for asking never mind putting the midwife in such a position.

Please
or

dutchessmom · 29/11/2021 20:23

Okay I do not agree for you to do it, but I do not agree with the type of comments (too much negativity) you get on your thread.

I understand you feel like losing money, but having to alternate the date by at least 10 days it's too much. I would say it's better to have a talk with your HR and explain the situation, and the stress that this is causing you, and possibly they will be able to find a solution with you.

Good luck with everything.

Please
or

AnotherEmma · 29/11/2021 20:44

Sorry Aranciata I was clearly displaying my ignorance there with regards to possible reasons not to delay IVF.

I do appreciate that it is a difficult process for many (most? all?) women who do it Flowers

Please
or

GinnyBee · 30/11/2021 09:42

@Cattenberg I'm surprised by that too. I know in my home country IVF due dates are never changed no matter how the scans measure.

If I were the OP I would request that my due date remains based on IVF dates instead of scans, and then plead to HR that they forgive those last 6 days to qualify for the enhanced mat pay package.

Please
or

whatcangowrong · 30/11/2021 19:24

Your maternity leave will start the day the baby arrives or the day you choose if you want to go off before that. If your baby arrives after the date on your form, you are not bound by the due date as far as I know.

In my experience of ivf pregnancy the due date was calculated based on transfer date and wasn't moved around for scans. I think you could ask your midwife to change it back to the 26th as the ivf date is more accurate than a scan.

Your best bet after that is to cross your legs and hope for a week or so delay, which is not at all unusual. You will need to tell your work you'll be working up until the day the baby comes. It's not ideal!

Please
or

whatcangowrong · 30/11/2021 19:28

@MakeWayMoana 😂 that's the kind of thing I would do but think we are in the minority here 😬

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.