Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Maternity pay - miss out by days - will midwife amend due date on MATB1?

HayleySteve95 · 29/11/2021 10:49

Hi, I am 19 weeks pregnant and have my 20 week scan on Thursday 2nd December. From my dating scan my due date is 21st April 2022 - however this is an IVF baby and the actual due date should be 26th April. To be entitled to higher rate maternity pay my due date needs to be 2nd May :( I am losing sleep over this and cannot afford to miss out on this maternity pay - I will lose out on nearly £4,000 and won't be able to afford very long off with my baby. Does anyone know when I will get given my MATB1 form? Do you think my midwife would put my due date as 2nd May instead to help me out, or will they refuse and put the due date of 21st April from my dating scan? It's really worrying me - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

EmpressCixi · 29/11/2021 11:26

I agree, don’t ask midwife at all as you are asking her to commit a crime. £4K is a lot of money. I would start saving aggressively. You have 20 weeks. And you could always start a GoFundMe. Missing the higher pay by days will strike a chord with people and who knows you get enough £20 donations, you could get £4K.

Please
or

dollygirl12 · 29/11/2021 11:27

I had a really nice midwife who signed a document confirming I was living at a different address to the one that was on my hospital discharged notes. She had no proof I was actually in temporary accommodation but trusted my word and that made us able to get the address on the baby's birth certificate. I'll always be grateful to her for doing that.

There's no harm in asking but as it's such a big gap they I highly doubt they'll be able to do that. If it was a couple/few days then maybe but I highly doubt they'll be able too.
4K is a lot of money but I think you've just been unlucky here

Please
or

SpookyScarySkeletons · 29/11/2021 11:32

Nope nope nope. That is an awful thing to ask your midwife to do.

Your best course of action here is to speak to your line manager and HE to see if they can apply any discretion to your maternity pay with it being so close.

That's a far better thing to do than commit fraud!

Please
or

SpookyScarySkeletons · 29/11/2021 11:33

HR sorry not HE!

Please
or

whatsthecraic91 · 29/11/2021 11:34

Would it not be better to ask your employer to see what they can do for you considering it's only 2 weeks? Defo wouldn't be asking the midwife to commit fraud 😂

Please
or

SickAndTiredAgain · 29/11/2021 11:36

@NatMoz

Even if the midwife did risk her job changing the date for you, if your baby is early, maternity will start from that date which could well be before 2nd May 2022...

No because entitlement to SMP is based on due date, not actual delivery date.

But that aside, no the midwife won’t change this. I thought you were going to say you needed it to be the IVF due date, which I guess you’d then have more of an argument that it’s actually correct. But you need nearly a week on top of that!
Please
or

GiltEdges · 29/11/2021 11:38

Do you think my midwife would put my due date as 2nd May instead to help me out

No, it's very unlikely your midwife will want to help you commit fraud Hmm

Please
or

MynameisJune · 29/11/2021 11:41

@dollygirl12

I had a really nice midwife who signed a document confirming I was living at a different address to the one that was on my hospital discharged notes. She had no proof I was actually in temporary accommodation but trusted my word and that made us able to get the address on the baby's birth certificate. I'll always be grateful to her for doing that.

There's no harm in asking but as it's such a big gap they I highly doubt they'll be able to do that. If it was a couple/few days then maybe but I highly doubt they'll be able too.
4K is a lot of money but I think you've just been unlucky here

This is totally different situation.

There is harm in asking, it’s fraud and the midwife should not be put in that position.
Please
or

Aranciata · 29/11/2021 11:42

I'm pregnant via IVF too and my dating scan brought the due date forward.
It looks as though you'd still be in the same situation though even if your IVF dates were kept as the due date.

I'm afraid you can't ask the midwife to amend the form, I know you're in a pickle but I think it would be considered fraud, asking her to lie for your financial gain so I wouldn't put her in that position.

Is there any way your employer would be flexible? Especially if you give some kind of written undertaking to return.

Please
or

Scirocco · 29/11/2021 11:42

The midwife won't be able to do that.

You might have had a case to argue if you were asking about your IVF dates being used instead of a date calculated from the scan, as in that situation you could argue that you're wanting to go by actual rather than calculated dates (although the standard practice is to use the dating scan dates even for IVF pregnancies).

But the dates you'd be asking about aren't your IVF dates either - you'd be asking your midwife to commit fraud on a legal document, so that you can claim more money than you're legally entitled to claim. I'm sorry but that's not going to get you a good outcome and even asking could flag up concerns.

You'd be better off speaking with your employer to see if they have some flexibility.

Please
or

Aggy35 · 29/11/2021 11:43

Its actually quite disturbing that someone would ask a professional to put their career at risk like that.Its fraud...Speak to employers instead

Please
or

Figgygal · 29/11/2021 11:45

I understand your predicament but absolutely your midwife shouldnot do that

Please
or

Skyll · 29/11/2021 11:46

I can’t believe you are even considering this.

Please
or

Viviennemary · 29/11/2021 11:49

I think it would be very wrong of you to put the midwife in such a position. Asking her to commit fraud for your financial gain.

Please
or

neededafart · 29/11/2021 11:53

@EmpressCixi

I agree, don’t ask midwife at all as you are asking her to commit a crime. £4K is a lot of money. I would start saving aggressively. You have 20 weeks. And you could always start a GoFundMe. Missing the higher pay by days will strike a chord with people and who knows you get enough £20 donations, you could get £4K.

ERM NO. I certainly would not contribute to a go fund me page on this basis.

OP its one of those annoying things, it was a risk that you would conceive before the enhanced mat pay. Even if you went by your dates you are still to early for the enhanced pay,.
Please
or

Catfox1 · 29/11/2021 11:55

Jesus Christ 🤦‍♀️

Please
or

Skyll · 29/11/2021 11:55

Lol at a go fund me. As if.

Please
or

Cherrytart23 · 29/11/2021 11:56

You would be asking a midwife to commit fraud!

Please
or

TakeYourFinalPosition · 29/11/2021 11:57

@HayleySteve95 I'm sorry - this happens quite a lot, but the MATB1 form is a legal document and they have to use the due date from your scan. There's no leeway with it at all.

My MATB1 came through the post at around 22 weeks, although some people get given it at the scan, it depends if you've got a midwife appointment straight after I believe. But it's pre-filled out with the information which is cross-referenced with your NHS data.

They read one of the numbers on mine incorrectly; and it has held up my maternity pay massively - I'm now 37 weeks and it's only just being sorted - as it didn't match the other date on the system - and that was out by two days, which is much smaller than the gap you're asking for.

Congratulations on your baby. I hope you can find a way around the maternity pay issue, but it won't be changing the MATB1... Is there any hope for leeway in your policy? Or extra earnings now; a Christmas job for you or a partner? Would you be entitled to any additional benefits that would help in that period?

Please
or

Littleheart5 · 29/11/2021 11:57

If it’s an IVF baby I don’t understand why you wouldn’t have waited just one more cycle to do it Hmm

Please
or

MyDcAreMarvel · 29/11/2021 11:59

No you can’t ask someone to commit fraud. But your pregnancy was more than planned why didn’t you time it a month later if it meant loosing out on 4K?

Please
or

dollygirl12 · 29/11/2021 12:03

@MynameisJune not really. It was still a MATB1 form just Part B. My midwife signed it with a different address on the front bit so I had two MATB1 forms, one during the pregnancy and one after the labour.

I don't see the harm in asking. OP can/will ask the midwife and she'll just say no she can't do it. Not the end of the world but the OP should definitely speak to her work instead of getting the midwife to try and do this

Please
or

MrsColon · 29/11/2021 12:04

@Littleheart5

If it’s an IVF baby I don’t understand why you wouldn’t have waited just one more cycle to do it Hmm

Thus speaks someone who's never had IVF Hmm
Please
or

WheelieBinPrincess · 29/11/2021 12:05

Funnier still than thinking a midwife might just concoct a date out of the clear blue sky to help out OP is the suggestion of a Go Fund Me!

I mean seriously 😂

Please
or

dollygirl12 · 29/11/2021 12:05

😂😂😂 @ a GoFund me. People would probably donate too lol

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.