Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Maternity pay - miss out by days - will midwife amend due date on MATB1?

HayleySteve95 · 29/11/2021 10:49

Hi, I am 19 weeks pregnant and have my 20 week scan on Thursday 2nd December. From my dating scan my due date is 21st April 2022 - however this is an IVF baby and the actual due date should be 26th April. To be entitled to higher rate maternity pay my due date needs to be 2nd May :( I am losing sleep over this and cannot afford to miss out on this maternity pay - I will lose out on nearly £4,000 and won't be able to afford very long off with my baby. Does anyone know when I will get given my MATB1 form? Do you think my midwife would put my due date as 2nd May instead to help me out, or will they refuse and put the due date of 21st April from my dating scan? It's really worrying me - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PheonixGlitterRepublic · 29/11/2021 12:40

You can’t ask the midwife to commit fraud. You would also be committing fraud yourself if she did it. I think you can decide for yourself whether it’s worth asking. It also might be worth shoplifting and hoping you don’t get caught.

Please
or

Folklore9074 · 29/11/2021 12:43

Thing is your mat leave and pay has to start the day you give birth so no point on putting a random date you’d like, unless you are basically okay committing fraud. Sorry! It’s a pain in the ass, I know from recent experience.

Please
or

Bells3032 · 29/11/2021 12:45

Even if the date was the 26th then you still wouldn't be entitled. I think if it was a day out you might have gotten away with it but 2 weeks. no way

Please
or

SingItToWinIt · 29/11/2021 12:48

Do I think a MW is going to commit fraud for you, risking her job and possibly prison?

No.

It sucks but there's not much you can do.

Please
or

Hoptoit1 · 29/11/2021 12:48

When I had fertility treatment I asked that they dated me from treatment not size and they did do (that was sonigrapher), however asking midwife to change date by another week is to much. Would it also be classed as fraud?

Please
or

SingItToWinIt · 29/11/2021 12:51

Thing is your mat leave and pay has to start the day you give birth so no point on putting a random date you’d like, unless you are basically okay committing fraud. Sorry! It’s a pain in the ass, I know from recent experience

No, this isn't the case with all. Not that it helps the op.

For my employer, your entitlement to enhanced maternity pay is dependant on your length of employment on the EDD, as shown on the MatB1.

It doesn't matter if you give birth 3 months early, if your EDD was after the minimum requirement for time employed then you'd get the full enhanced package.

Please
or

MakeWayMoana · 29/11/2021 12:53

I had this and amended it myself... it was a case of 3 days and I justified it to myself that had the HR department not massively ballsed up my on-boarding at my company I would’ve been working there for 3 months longer!

Preparing to be blasted now for my master fraud...
I tipexed the date out, photo copied it (so you couldn’t see the tipex) and filled in the new date.

Please
or

Katy75 · 29/11/2021 12:54

Hi OP, I understand that it’s really disappointing about the mat pay. As a fellow IVF mum I would try and reframe it by thinking that you are so very lucky that your IVF was successful and that is the prize! The cost of another round would far exceed £4,000. I had a shorter leave with my IVF baby as the treatment had been so expensive. Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy.

Please
or

ittakes2 · 29/11/2021 12:56

I have had IVF - did you count from your day of transfer? If you did then that's the mistake. People who fall pregnant naturally during their cycle take the 1st day of their period during that cycle as the first week of being pregnant. I know it doesn't quite make sense logically but I think when people give birth at 40 weeks its technically only 38 weeks if you get what I mean.

Please
or

annonymousse · 29/11/2021 13:00

As a community midwife I would not put an incorrect date. It's fraud and I would not want to risk my career

Please
or

MynameisJune · 29/11/2021 13:00

@MakeWayMoana

I had this and amended it myself... it was a case of 3 days and I justified it to myself that had the HR department not massively ballsed up my on-boarding at my company I would’ve been working there for 3 months longer!

I tipexed the date out, photo copied it (so you couldn’t see the tipex) and filled in the new date.

The entitlement is fucking astounding but nothing surprises me anymore with the general public.
Please
or

Darkpheonix · 29/11/2021 13:01

Got to laugh at people think there's no harm is asking a health professional ro commit fraud.

Either she says no. Thata the end of it. But it could further. MW maybe obliged to report this higher.

Or she says yes and OP commits a fraud that really easy to prove, is fraud. Op then, potentially, loses her Job.

But no, no harm done. Non at all.

Please
or

Cailleachian · 29/11/2021 13:03

I missed out on mat leave by 2 days according to my scan dates. I was a bit frantic and asked a consultant if they would change my dates and that it was super important to have it dated three days later

Midwife took me aside to "have a chat", she thought that I might have an issue with who the father was based on dates, but when she heard it was the MATB1 one form she just laughed and said "yeah, of course we can fix that, we do it all the time".

This was 20 years ago mind, but worth a try.

Please
or

dollygirl12 · 29/11/2021 13:03

@MakeWayMoana

😂 I'd do this if I had too!
Please
or

DizzySquirrel90 · 29/11/2021 13:04

I'm pretty sure on the MATB1 form that it is 'the week including' the 26th of April?

Please
or

Scirocco · 29/11/2021 13:04

@MakeWayMoana

I really wouldn't admit to fraud on a public forum if I were you. It doesn't matter what justification you think you have, it's a criminal offence and you could get in quite a bit of trouble. Maybe ask for your post to be deleted?
Please
or

JudgeRindersMinder · 29/11/2021 13:06

I’d actually have a degree of sympathy if you found yourself pregnant via a contraception failure but IVF is a very planned attempt to get pregnant.

But you go ahead and ask your midwife to commit fraud, risking her registration, career and livelihood. I’m sure she’ll oblige

Please
or

Missmissmiiiiiiiiisss · 29/11/2021 13:06

I think if there was a window with a bit of conflicting information then it’s possible they could put the later date if its as likely as the earlier one. But they don’t really have any leeway here. Not sure they can do anything really.

Please
or

cravingmilkshake · 29/11/2021 13:07

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Please
or

TakeMe2Insanity · 29/11/2021 13:08

You cannot ask the midwife that.

However, midwives are crap at calculating due dates according to ivf cycles so may well calculate later eg: date according to ivf 31/12, date according to midwife 7/1, actual date 23/12!

Please
or

Missmissmiiiiiiiiisss · 29/11/2021 13:09

@MynameisJune it’s not really entitlement, it’s desperation! We have terrible statutory maternity pay. Some of the worst in developed countries (bar USA who should never be used to benchmark yourself!).
Women shouldn’t be put in this position.

Please
or

4amstarts · 29/11/2021 13:12

@TakeMe2Insanity

You cannot ask the midwife that.

However, midwives are crap at calculating due dates according to ivf cycles so may well calculate later eg: date according to ivf 31/12, date according to midwife 7/1, actual date 23/12!

It's irrelevant when it's after the 12 week scan - the due date is what the scan says at 12 weeks - last period date becomes irrelevant at 20 weeks
Please
or

TakeYourFinalPosition · 29/11/2021 13:16

Btw they would be expected to report you for asking them to commit a crime for your financial gain. I wouldn’t try your luck as some have suggested

This, too.

Please
or

MynameisJune · 29/11/2021 13:16

[quote Missmissmiiiiiiiiisss]@MynameisJune it’s not really entitlement, it’s desperation! We have terrible statutory maternity pay. Some of the worst in developed countries (bar USA who should never be used to benchmark yourself!).
Women shouldn’t be put in this position.[/quote]
Justify it however you like, I missed out on SMP too, I didn’t think about committing fraud because I’m not an entitled dick, of course the extra money would have made a difference, I’m still paying off the debt I incurred.

But fraudulently claiming something you’re not entitled to isn’t the way we change the system or make things better.

Please
or

DraigFach · 29/11/2021 13:16

Honestly, I'd be comfortable asking to go by the IVF date on MATB1 rather than the dating scan date just because that's purely semantics based on statistics...however asking the midwife to knowingly falsify the MATB1 by weeks without any bearing on the reality of your pregnancy I wouldn't even broach the subject.

I'm sorry this affects your pay so badly, but as someone who only managed to take 4 months maternity leave because her husband had a heart attack and had to go back to work early to keep a roof over our heads sometimes the timing of things just sucks and we just need to do our best with the options we have.

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy Flowers

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.