Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Maternity pay - miss out by days - will midwife amend due date on MATB1?

HayleySteve95 · 29/11/2021 10:49

Hi, I am 19 weeks pregnant and have my 20 week scan on Thursday 2nd December. From my dating scan my due date is 21st April 2022 - however this is an IVF baby and the actual due date should be 26th April. To be entitled to higher rate maternity pay my due date needs to be 2nd May :( I am losing sleep over this and cannot afford to miss out on this maternity pay - I will lose out on nearly £4,000 and won't be able to afford very long off with my baby. Does anyone know when I will get given my MATB1 form? Do you think my midwife would put my due date as 2nd May instead to help me out, or will they refuse and put the due date of 21st April from my dating scan? It's really worrying me - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

CurryandSnuggle · 01/12/2021 17:44

I think it’s a bit unfair to discuss preventative measures when OP is upduffed now. It’s not like she can go back in time. But ultimately the crux of the matter is, the OP will have to accept the £4K loss unfortunately. (a) the midwife will not lie as this is fraud (b) OP can’t commit this fraud either otherwise she’ll end up in a prison cell which is far worse than missing out on £4k.

Please
or

MaryAndGerryLivingInDerry · 01/12/2021 17:04

I was waiting for that to appear

Please
or

Kelso12 · 01/12/2021 15:26

Whatever😂 my point to the whole thing was I think people could of been a bit nicer to the OP instead of people being so mean and critical when someone just asked a question. I feel some of the answers could of been said in a nicer way. Yous have made your point, as have I.
In a world where you can be anything… BE KIND✌🏼

Please
or

MaryAndGerryLivingInDerry · 01/12/2021 13:56

You didn’t say “all the things that her baby might need” @Kelso12, you said “all the things she would like for her baby”

Big difference.

Please
or

AudacityBaby · 01/12/2021 13:13

@Kelso12

First of all I didn’t say “nice things” I said all the things that her baby might need. Maybe she didn’t realise it was committing fraud and that’s why she asked a question on a forum like this before she did go and ask her midwife the question. Don’t just automatically judge someone and get off your high horse! Absolutely no need for the aggression in your comment either. Have a nice night.

“Needing to buy things for baby” still isn’t a justification for fraud.

And as if you wouldn’t know that asking someone to falsify a form to entitle them to money they’re not entitled to might be fraud. Ridiculous.
Please
or

IntermittentParps · 01/12/2021 08:45

@Darkpheonix

Maybe she didn’t realise it was committing fraud

Maybe she didn't realise asking a medical professional to change a medical certificate so they can claim pay, they aren't entitled to was fraud?

I know. Hmm
Please
or

Darkpheonix · 01/12/2021 05:15

Maybe she didn’t realise it was committing fraud

Maybe she didn't realise asking a medical professional to change a medical certificate so they can claim pay, they aren't entitled to was fraud?

Please
or

Notdoingthis · 01/12/2021 03:33

I missed out by 11 days. Never crossed my mind to lie. I just came back from maternity earlier and made the money back that way.

Please
or

Kelso12 · 01/12/2021 00:11

First of all I didn’t say “nice things” I said all the things that her baby might need. Maybe she didn’t realise it was committing fraud and that’s why she asked a question on a forum like this before she did go and ask her midwife the question. Don’t just automatically judge someone and get off your high horse! Absolutely no need for the aggression in your comment either. Have a nice night.

Please
or

AudacityBaby · 30/11/2021 23:12

@Kelso12

Also maybe OP can afford to live off of her SMP but would like the extra mat leave pay to make sure she can afford all the things she would like for her baby and have to worry about where every single penny is going! People should be a lot nicer on these things and not be so judgemental. She only asked a question.

If OP had posted venting about it, she’d have probably got a ton of sympathetic responses and suggestions such as going to HR.

She didn’t - she asked if she should ask a midwife to falsify a legal document so as to entitle her to funds she isn’t entitled to. I judge the heck out of that, and “wanting nice things for baby” is not a bloody justification for contemplating fraud!
Please
or

red30505 · 30/11/2021 22:27

I had this = but missing out on SMP and only getting Mat Allowance.
Missed out by 2 weeks same as you.
Sorry, but nowt they can do
It sucks (it REALLY SUCKS), trust me, but thats mat life!!

Please
or

Asiama · 30/11/2021 22:19

@Kelso12 yes it was upsetting at the time! To be honest I didn’t ask my employer to consider giving me the money, just never crossed my mind. I hope it works out for you!

Please
or

Kelso12 · 30/11/2021 22:15

@asiama I’m really sorry to hear this. It’s really gutting and if anything it makes me annoyed at employers not being more understanding! But at least you asked the question to your midwife anyway. As the old saying goes if you don’t ask you don’t get.

Please
or

Asiama · 30/11/2021 22:10

@Kelso12 my scan date put me one day earlier than my date by LMP. This one day made the difference of about 10k additional mat pay. Midwife said she had to go by scan date so I lost out.

Please
or

Kelso12 · 30/11/2021 21:45

Also maybe OP can afford to live off of her SMP but would like the extra mat leave pay to make sure she can afford all the things she would like for her baby and have to worry about where every single penny is going! People should be a lot nicer on these things and not be so judgemental. She only asked a question.

Please
or

Kelso12 · 30/11/2021 21:38

Hi there,
I’m in the exact same predicament as yourself. If you could please let me know how your get on that would be great?
Good luck and I hope your work even manage to give you it with a few days out!

Please
or

MaryAndGerryLivingInDerry · 30/11/2021 21:10

This is a bit heartless. As someone who’s gone through IVF, I never knew which month would be the month that worked for me, and the desperation of potentially missing a good egg, or the right miraculous cycle where everything falls into place, isn’t something I wanted to risk.

Which is totally fair and understandable, but if you really couldn’t afford the £4K loss then you just wouldn’t be able to go ahead, would you?

Please
or

AnotherEmma · 30/11/2021 20:59

The thing is, if you're desperate to get pregnant, you go ahead with IVF despite knowing it might not be the right timing to get enhanced maternity pay, but if you really want the maternity pay, you wait until the timing is right to get it.

I don't see how you could both be desperate to get pregnant and desperate to get the maternity pay... if you can't have both immediately then you presumably make a conscious decision to go ahead with IVF and decide that it's worth it if you get pregnant, even if you don't get maternity pay.

I'm not explaining myself very well but what im trying to say is that I struggle to understand the logic of going through IVF without first considering the maternity pay and making a decision accordingly. (You either delay or accept missing out on the enhanced pay.) It's not as if it's an unplanned pregnancy!

Please
or

Velvetscrunchy · 30/11/2021 20:42

Hit post too quickly. I’m in the same situation - I was just so used to each cycle not working that life carried on - I interviewed and was successful in getting a new job, and luckily that was also when I realised the cycle had worked.

Please
or

Velvetscrunchy · 30/11/2021 20:40

@MaryAndGerryLivingInDerry

I am losing sleep over this and cannot afford to miss out on this maternity pay - I will lose out on nearly £4,000 and won't be able to afford very long off with my baby.

As it was an IVF baby this was entirely within your power to prevent! I don’t understand why, if you actually can’t afford to miss out on this maternity pay that you would choose to get pregnant anyway.

This is a bit heartless. As someone who’s gone through IVF, I never knew which month would be the month that worked for me, and the desperation of potentially missing a good egg, or the right miraculous cycle where everything falls into place, isn’t something I wanted to risk.
Please
or

Viviennemary · 30/11/2021 20:04

I agree. Whether trying to conceive naturally or using ivf means then delay it a couple of months to ensure you qualify for the maternity pay. I dont get why you couldn't.

Please
or

MaryAndGerryLivingInDerry · 30/11/2021 19:51

Conception, whether assisted or not, doesn't work like that.

What conception can’t be delayed? OPs body just took her to the appointment? She had no say over it? I doubt that .

Please
or

Roisin78 · 30/11/2021 19:47

If I were you I'd talk to HR/your manager. I work in HR and we had this exact same scenario a few years ago, the employee came and told us she was worried about it as baby was due a week or two before her entitlement date but there was no way to predict if she'd make it. We agreed to pay her the higher rate regardless of when baby came. She was so close and it would have been unfair not to, it was the right thing to do. HR/your managers are people too.

Please
or

MaryAndGerryLivingInDerry · 30/11/2021 19:45

I am losing sleep over this and cannot afford to miss out on this maternity pay - I will lose out on nearly £4,000 and won't be able to afford very long off with my baby.

As it was an IVF baby this was entirely within your power to prevent! I don’t understand why, if you actually can’t afford to miss out on this maternity pay that you would choose to get pregnant anyway.

Please
or

Hoolahupsaresquare · 30/11/2021 19:41

Wow the entitlement. Genuinely gobsmacked.

You want a medical professional to lie and commit fraud with you so that you can get more money for maternity leave for baby you chose to have ?

I know this is old fashioned but why not make sure you can afford the child before you are pregnant with it ? Even given that you decided needed IVF surely this is something you’ll have needed to sort before starting even if you thought it might take more than one try ?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.