Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, on Mumsnet for a webchat

1127 replies

JustineMumsnet · 03/05/2010 13:53

Do post your advance questions here.

OP posts:
omnishambles · 03/05/2010 14:51

Oh and whats your Tory candidate name?

ahundredtimes · 03/05/2010 14:52

Oh I see. I don't know, that's one head teacher's decision isn't it? That's her call, I guess. It might be a misguided one.

I honestly think our society in general has become much more relaxed and understanding and liberal I guess in the last 20 years or so, I think prejudice and ignorance are now not seen as generally okay. I think that's a good thing really.

I don't feel particularly embattled tbh

MuppetsMuggle · 03/05/2010 14:55

Hey I've got no problem with other cultures, religions etc but I do have a problem with things I've been brought up with taken away and things I can't share with my children as they may offend other religions/cultures surely if they opted to live in britain then they must just have to live with the English things that happen here - for instance Christmas lights etc!

LeninGrad · 03/05/2010 14:56

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PfftTheMagicDragon · 03/05/2010 14:57

so muppets - your children are not allowed to sing any nursery rhymes at school in case they offend people? Or are these just passed on stories and tales that you have picked up at you White Minorities Anonymous meetings?

MuppetsMuggle · 03/05/2010 14:57

Main concern is where the cuts for spending are going to come from to help clear britains mounting debts?!

whifflegarden · 03/05/2010 14:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Amapoleon · 03/05/2010 14:59

Gordon, I would just like to wish you good luck. I hope you win and I don't think you deserve the negative press that you have been given. I am of the generation of Thatcher's children and I never want to go back there.

Igglybuff · 03/05/2010 14:59

Gordon

If Labour do not win on Thursday, what will be the one thing you regret not doing in your time as chancellor/PM?

Iggly

MuppetsMuggle · 03/05/2010 15:01

They changed words in the song baa baa black sheep as might offend some people - just silly.

I'm not racist or prejudice in anyway alot of my friends are from all different cultures and i'm offended at your comment.

BuckBuckMcFate · 03/05/2010 15:01

Hello Gordon,

I too would like to know what you think would be the fairest way to increase taxes.

I also want to say that tax credits helped me to stand on my own as a single parent after I split up with ex. My family and I have always had excellent care from the NHS and I really do feel grateful that I have spent the majority of my adult life under a Labour government.

Also, I think you have shown in the debates and with Paxman that you have a good sense of humour that hasn't come across previously, you do good poker face!

Finally, good luck and just wondering if you have watched this, yah?

longfingernails · 03/05/2010 15:03

Why were we running a deficit BEFORE the recession hit? Was it because you thought you had abolished boom and bust?

TheJollyPirate · 03/05/2010 15:03

The Baa Baa black sheep ban goes waaayyy back - certainly pre 1997. Remember it being news when I was a student midwife back in 1991.

LittleRock · 03/05/2010 15:04

Mr Brown, I'd like to know how you can convince me to vote Labour again please.

I am in my 40s, and have always voted Labour up until now.

I have two children with specific learning difficulties, for whom I have had to fight the LEA tooth and nail in order to get some extra support for them in class (I lost the fight, btw).

The state school system does not provide an appropriate/suitable (whatever the current 'buzz word' is) education for my children, despite that being its' remit.

I believe that 'our' involvement in the Iraq war was illegal, and that no-one has been made accountable for their actions.

I think the Expenses Row will have already been covered, but it made me sick to my stomach, along with the rest of us mere mortals.

I am finding the lack of any discernible difference between the two main parties rather disconcerting.

So, as a lefty who once believed fervently in the state school system, and that my government was basically honest and reliable, I'm sure you can see my quandry?

I am being asked to vote to return an unelected Prime Minister / party leader to a government that has let me down, and, FAR MORE IMPORTANTLY, has let down my children.

And that is the part that is unforgiveable.

WWYD?

Beaaware · 03/05/2010 15:06

Mr.Brown, Real Issues that matter, SAFE BLOOD, I would like to ask you what the Labour party's policies are regarding the screening of all UK blood donors to avoid the spread of vCJD? Filtering kits do not screen individual blood donors. At present France screens Blood Donors individually using the latest blood test screening kits from Amorfix Life Sciences, this prevents infected blood from being passed on through medical procedures. Why is the UK lagging behind France when we are classed as a high risk nation for vCJD deaths? Come and meet the families and friends of victims who have died from vCJD, we will be at Portcullis House, opposite Big Ben on Tuesday 4th May 2010 from 11.30am , these are real health issues that most people are not informed about when they have a blood transfusion.
Does Labour care?

alienbump · 03/05/2010 15:07

I'd like to know how the PM feels about England following Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland and forming a "devolved parliament" of their own. I'm interested if he would be in favour of this or if not why not?

PfftTheMagicDragon · 03/05/2010 15:08

Muppets, I take issue with this, maybe you could explain it for me

As an Brit born and bred, I feel like a minority in my own country, if people choose to come and live here from another country then that is their decision but they must abide by English rules and traditions after all we would if we chose to live in their country

In what ways do you feel like a minority? How does this happen when it is so far from the truth? Do you mean you feel like a minority because of allowances made for other cultures present in this country?

The second part of your statement is so far from true it is laughable. British expats go abroad and live in Spain, in little English communities, refusing to speak the language and buying Marmite!

I am staunchly proud of the multi-cultural aspect of Britain and the relatively liberal way in which we live here. I love to see different people living together, different languages. By all means, preserve Bristishness, but I don't see why we have to preserve it at the same time as pushing everything else out.

We're all just people, no?

SuSylvester · 03/05/2010 15:08

Hello gordon,
nice to meet you at the MN party - sorry i said " think fish" to you.
I still have my master idea I mentioned to you and its this.
If you are awarded compensation in court and the offender pays say £5 a week to you, you as the victim only get £5 a week, which to be honest is an insult and for some vulnerable victims is more traumatic than the offence itself.

When the victim surcharge £15 was introduced (dont get me started on that lunacy - how come someone who whacks someone and is punished by a community order doesnt pay it yet a speeder on an empty motorway does?) it was thought that this would create a lump sum that this would solve this but it didnt.

SO that is my suggestion. Cna you sort it out please.

Ivykaty44 · 03/05/2010 15:09

Why did you take away the ten pence tax and leave National Insurance the same - it would have raised more money to change NI and leave the 10p tax.

I did email my own labour MP on this matter and James Plaskit siad it would be ok we will give you more benifts

Why take it away from so they are effected the most?

I don't want to rely on benifits I want to earn my own money

drloves8 · 03/05/2010 15:09

mr Brown , if your re-elected can you please do something about the housing situation...most homes are too expensive for the average family to buy(unless they have 1 child and two or more well paid jobs).
The torys sold off the council houses years ago , but the promised replacements were never built and so there is a lack of affordable housing.
Most private landlords abuse the fact there are is lack of rental property, so they overcharge. Loads of families in are living in almost unbearable circumstances .
What will labour do to solve this?.

Beachcomber · 03/05/2010 15:09

Welcome back to MN Mr Brown.

I also want to say that I think you are a man of integrity and moral conviction. I hope you will continue to be our PM.

I don't have a question but will follow the thread with interest.

Good Luck on Thursday!

thesecondcoming · 03/05/2010 15:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

frakkinnuts · 03/05/2010 15:14

Why are UK Nationals outside the UK not allowed a national ID card?

I actually support this system as it makes sense. Several other European countries have it and provide ID cards to their own citizens abroad so it strikes me as deeply illogical that British people living outside Britain for whatever reason aren't allowed to have a National ID card to prove their nationality, especially as we're more likely to be living in a country where we do have to carry some form of ID at all times. Will you change this rule?

And please don't make the mistake of thinking that your answer doesn't matter because I (and lots of other expats) won't be voting. I have a one word comeback for that: Proxy

alienbump · 03/05/2010 15:14

Oh and Muppetmuggle, I'm not sure who told you that christmas lights had been banned in your town but maybe they were just trying to save you from Lisa Riley??:

"The 2009 Portsmouth Christmas Lights Switch-on will be on Thursday 19th November. Always a popular event, the Portsmouth Christmas Lights Switch-on will launch the countdown to Christmas in the City. There will be live entertainment from 4pm including a mass Karaoke in the Cascades. The Portsmouth Christmas Lights will be switched on by Lisa Riley (appearing in Aladdin at the Kings Theatre) and the evening will be rounded off with a fireworks finale."

ButterPie · 03/05/2010 15:15

OK, a serious question here, what should I say to the people who say they will not vote Labour because they are scared about the future for Home Education? My children aren't even old enough for school yet, but I would like to at least have the choice, and ideally help, to home educate if it is appropiate.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.