Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

£4000 found when ripping out kitchen

348 replies

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:06

Today after having old kitchen ripped out our fitter found hidden a box and inside was £4000 in cash. ...we have informed solicitor who managed the sale. (It was a probate house sale) what do you think will happen?

OP posts:
Please
or

chaosmaker · 13/06/2022 20:33

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:40

We moved in September, there is a part of me that wishes we weren't so honest haha

I love your honesty and am the same. It would have played on my mind too much if I hadn't said... Shame so many on here are so utterly grabby and self serving! Explains the tories being in power I suppose :(

Please
or

AdoraBell · 13/06/2022 20:35

We found a solid gold pocket watch when we replaced cupboards. Contacted the sellers, adult DC sold when their parents passed away. They’d searched the entire house for the family heirloom and thought their dad had sold it. Apparently it was worth 10K.

The eldest son, who was due to inherit it, was really pleased and grateful to get it back.

I know that legally we could have kept it due to buying the house, but didn’t feel comfortable to keep it.

I think you’ve done the right thing OP as you wanted to.

Please
or

randomsabreuse · 13/06/2022 20:35

All we found was Debbie Does Dallas and a couple of other similar DVDs. Very tempted to return them to previous owners when we found all the dangerous bodges in the house but they just went in the bin.

Please
or

Longtimeuser · 13/06/2022 20:39

Folks mystery solved... It's mine. I definitely left it in Elizabeth Darcy's kitchen. It's the proceeds from my drug and life of crime .. will be around in the morning to collect it 😂

Please
or

Darbs76 · 13/06/2022 20:41

I’d have handed it in, I personally wouldn’t feel right spending what is probably someone’s inheritance. Well done OP for doing the honest thing, it was the right thing to do and I hope that karma repays your kindness

Please
or

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 20:44

@Longtimeuser oh thank goodness for that ...Do you need directions? It's second star on the right, straight on till morning...see you when you get here 😊😃

OP posts:
Please
or

Bloodybridget · 13/06/2022 20:45

Someone I know found a very large sum of money in notes, in a house she had just bought - tens of thousands. She kept it.

Please
or

Tilltheend99 · 13/06/2022 20:46

ItsSnowJokes · 13/06/2022 18:12

You should have kept quiet! You buy the house as it is! It's yours now. Now there will be a battle between the old owners about it. Costly mistake.

What if they are fake/laundered notes or stolen etc etc

When it is such a large amount better to get it legitimised as even more problems/work if you start spending it then can’t prove it wasn’t ill gotten by yourself if the police come knocking.

Please
or

ScribblingPixie · 13/06/2022 20:46

I would have done the same, OP. I'd be thinking it was savings the old owner would have wanted to go to their children, nothing to do with me at all. Brilliant that you found it rather than it staying hidden and wasted.

Please
or

Tilltheend99 · 13/06/2022 20:48

Bloodybridget · 13/06/2022 20:45

Someone I know found a very large sum of money in notes, in a house she had just bought - tens of thousands. She kept it.

Some people obvs don’t believe in this type of thing but if I kept it I would be worried that the universe would even itself out in some way and something negative would happen in my life.

Please
or

Tilltheend99 · 13/06/2022 20:56

@ClinicallyProven if you and your dad both knew to hand the money in at the police station (was fairly common knowledge) then it’s not outside the realms of possibility that, after not finding it in the street, the local police station was the next place the person checked.

Please
or

TheMagicDeckchair · 13/06/2022 21:00

I think you did the right thing. As others posters noted, they could be fakes or laundered and legitimising by paying into a bank account could trigger all kinds of investigations.

My boss has overpaid me in error a few times. I always tell him as although I’m not a chartered accountant, I work in finance and I always make sure I’m as straight as possible. If I kept quiet and pleaded ignorance if found out, I would look incompetent. If I knew what I was doing I would be dishonest. It isn’t worth risking my professional reputation for a few quid extra. Since then he’s given me a few bonus payments and pay rises so karma comes around!

Please
or

HermioneKipper · 13/06/2022 21:02

How lovely are you OP! What a nice thread to read - very cheering to hear how nice people still are

Please
or

Twiglets1 · 13/06/2022 21:02

I would have spent it so fast it would be like it was never there at all

Please
or

whataboutbob · 13/06/2022 21:04

Just make sure the solicitor hands it over.

Please
or

SausageAndCash · 13/06/2022 21:14

Those who go by the Power if Finders Keepers, surely it belongs to the kitchen fitter?

Please
or

Solasum · 13/06/2022 21:24

I wish the purchaser of my childhood home had been as honest as you OP.

I was about 12 and had been given a necklace that had belonged to my grandmother. I didn’t want it to get lost in a bag, so left it in a cupboard to pack last. And never saw it again. 😢

Please
or

ShinyMe · 13/06/2022 21:25

I once kept money (about £200, maybe 20 years ago) that I found, and the guilt ate me up inside. I spent it on clothes, but felt really bad and ended up giving the clothes away. I'd never keep money like that again.

Please
or

whynotwhatknot · 13/06/2022 21:31

hard isnt it-but if its non circulation notes prob not much you can do bank of england would change them but might quesiton the amount

Please
or

spongedog · 13/06/2022 21:38

@ElizabethDarcy88 thank you for your honesty. I expect that is who you are, as a person, in your dealings with friends, family, work, neighbours, businesses, tax, government. etc. The person that we all need in our lives and respect when we meet them.

I really can't comment politely on the people on this thread who "would keep it". I expect you "cheat" in many ways - short changing employers on time, taking from friends and relatives in money or time, cash in hand, adding in extra costs on jobs, not declaring full income when you should according to the rules, etc. I expect many of you will come back to strongly vocalise that this isn't you. But it will be - at some point. You just don't want to admit it.

Please
or

AmaryIlis · 13/06/2022 21:40

People who claim that they would keep this money: how would you feel if it were, say, your parent living there, they had carefully scrimped and saved this money to help you, and a total stranger just decided to steal it because you didn't know about it? What if you desperately needed that money and they refused to give it to you?

Please
or

passport123 · 13/06/2022 21:56

Assuming you can keep it, bank of England will always change old notes, you may have to go down to the City if your bank won't change them.

Please
or

Solonge · 13/06/2022 22:08

What a decent thing you did. Who knows how the money came to be there. A desperate wife planning an escape. Someone being left money and not knowing what to do with it.... you have absolutely done the right thing...and hopefully it will be coming back to you. Lovely to hear of someone doing something so totally honest. Respect.

Please
or

Littlebirdyouaresosweet · 13/06/2022 22:14

My young teen ds and his mate found 300 quid. Thanks to cctv they found the owner. He gave them 20 each... Never keep found cash imo without trying to find the owner.

Please
or

JuneJubilee · 13/06/2022 22:17

PersilPower · 13/06/2022 19:06

You did the right thing. Good karma and all that OP, you will be rewarded for this somehow. For those with a finders keepers attitude, I wonder how you’d feel if this was money your elderly parent had left behind?

You mean other than the house & contents?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?