Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

£4000 found when ripping out kitchen

348 replies

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:06

Today after having old kitchen ripped out our fitter found hidden a box and inside was £4000 in cash. ...we have informed solicitor who managed the sale. (It was a probate house sale) what do you think will happen?

OP posts:
Please
or

ElenaSt · 13/06/2022 18:29

Might have been one parent squirrelling it's away and they died before telling their husband or wife and then she or he died and that's why the children don't know about it.

Could also have been saved a long time ago and then forgotten about if the person became old and had dementia.

Just some examples of why the children selling the house were not aware of it.

Please
or

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:30

It was the old £20 note another reason why we didn't as wasn't sure what bank would do if we tried to bank it

£4000 found when ripping out kitchen
OP posts:
Please
or

Ilikewinter · 13/06/2022 18:30

Wow 100% I would have kept the money and given the fitter a couple hundred £'s, however I've no idea what happens next for you!

Please
or

cooldarkroom · 13/06/2022 18:31

I hope they share it with you. because its unusually honest of you to have owned up ! Make sure the solicitor doesn't pocket it !

Please
or

maslinpan · 13/06/2022 18:33

I think the fact that those are the old £20 notes makes it more difficult. You couldn't bank it very easily.

Please
or

BillLius · 13/06/2022 18:35

Was it in a safe?

Please
or

CHiSOCG · 13/06/2022 18:37

Nah you can still bank them til Sept and you can spend them! A few hundred quid here or there lol

Please
or

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:38

It was found under the skirting board by the sink

OP posts:
Please
or

Blackberrybunnet · 13/06/2022 18:38

You are such a decent, honest person. I really, really hope the inheritors of the state reward you substantially. I don't know if I would have done it, but I'd like to think I would have.

Please
or

TheBolterdahling · 13/06/2022 18:38

I think you’ve done the right thing legally and morally

Please
or

iCorvidae · 13/06/2022 18:38

how long have you been there?

Please
or

iwishiwasonhol · 13/06/2022 18:38

The old £20 notes are valid till sept i would have used them to pay cash for shopping etc between now and sept and then any left paid into the bank

Please
or

ThirtyThreeTrees · 13/06/2022 18:39

You really are a decent person. I hope that decency is rewarded by the beneficiary in some way.

Please
or

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:40

We moved in September, there is a part of me that wishes we weren't so honest haha

OP posts:
Please
or

tempester28 · 13/06/2022 18:42

I would have checked to see if the notes were out of date and then had a think

Please
or

pipping · 13/06/2022 18:42

You’re absolutely mad to let on about this! Would your solicitor do anything if you found anything wrong with the house? No. Works both ways.

Please
or

Blue4YOU · 13/06/2022 18:44

I think you’ve done the right thing. I know I’d have done that too. I’d probably regret it though

Please
or

cushioncovers · 13/06/2022 18:44

Wow why on earth did you let anyone know 😁

Please
or

LadyLapsang · 13/06/2022 18:46

If it was a probate sale, there may now be a little more inheritance tax to pay by the previous owners.

Please
or

Sallypally0 · 13/06/2022 18:46

I'd probably keep it and tip the fitter £500

Snap but definitely rather than probably.

Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 13/06/2022 18:48

Blackberrybunnet · 13/06/2022 18:38

You are such a decent, honest person. I really, really hope the inheritors of the state reward you substantially. I don't know if I would have done it, but I'd like to think I would have.

Between the extra legal fees and the IHT, there may be nothing left to reward with.

it's going to be a toss up who wants the hassle. Was any of it current money OP?

Please
or

HirplesWithHaggis · 13/06/2022 18:48

A friend found several thousand pounds in very old notes under the floorboards in an almost derelict house she was renovating. Previous owners were deceased, as in this case. She was allowed to keep the lot, and the bank accepted at face value. Good luck. :)

Please
or

AlternativePerspective · 13/06/2022 18:49

Really unnecessary posts on here.

Lots of older people stash money away or people who are vulnerable in many ways.

Just because there are s many people on here who clearly don’t give a shit that this money might have been left by e.g. someone who was vulnerable and scared of using a bank account, doesn’t make the OP wrong for contacting the solicitor.

In fact I am shocked that there are so many people here who would hang on to 4 grand with no conscience.

And yet on other threads people are berating posters for not handing in £20 to the police.

Please
or

myusernamewastakenbyme · 13/06/2022 18:49

This happened to my dh years ago....he used to do house clearances for the council...anyway an old person died and dh was asked to clear the flat...he asked if there was any next of kin etc and was told no and to dispose of everything...he found 5k down the back of a cupboard....he kept it....he said if he'd given it to the council it would have gone in someones pocket.

Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 13/06/2022 18:50

iwishiwasonhol · 13/06/2022 18:38

The old £20 notes are valid till sept i would have used them to pay cash for shopping etc between now and sept and then any left paid into the bank

Oh yes! i hadn't realised that.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?