Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

£4000 found when ripping out kitchen

348 replies

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:06

Today after having old kitchen ripped out our fitter found hidden a box and inside was £4000 in cash. ...we have informed solicitor who managed the sale. (It was a probate house sale) what do you think will happen?

OP posts:
Please
or

Furryfeet · 15/06/2022 17:16

Tillow4ever · 15/06/2022 12:14

A previous poster has shared a link, quite early on the thread, clearly showing the legality around this situation. It is NOTHING like leaving the lightbulbs behind! It is illegal to keep it. Plain and simple.

regarding the person who suggested this could be the same as discovering the house is worth more than you paid for it - no, no it isn’t. A legally binding contract for the sale of that house for that amount of money occurred. As long as consideration happened, it is irrelevant whether or not it was market value. Even if the OP only paid 1p for the house and they suddenly discovered it was worth a million pounds, no crime has been committed. It is for the seller to choose how much they accept for the sale. It is for them to research and check how much it is worth. There is no legal or moral duty for a buyer to tell someone that what they are selling is worth more. There are many instances where houses are sold below market value deliberately, usually for a quick sale.

As for those that say they’d keep it and ridiculing the OP for handing it over, I really do hope you realise what an awful person that makes you. And the person who kept the £4.6k knowing the rightful owner is alive and well, has made up a lie ready to tell the rightful owner, and then laughed about it - well there’s a special place in hell for people like you.

There are some truly awful people on this thread. And I suspect the ones who said they’d keep it are not the ones struggling to put food on the table, or are unsure if they can afford fuel this winter. Because people in that situation have far, far more empathy for someone losing their money and the devastating impact that can have.

Yes, I suggested that people are often happy to buy a house for less money than it’s worth and conceal this from the vendor (often benefiting financially by far more than £4k). But I never suggested that this was illegal, I was just pointing out that the UK house buying process is by nature inherently grasping and morally dubious and that it is socially acceptable for house buyers to routinely benefit financially from the difficult personal circumstances/misfortune of a vendor.

Also as an applied psychologist I know that what people say they would do when faced with a moral/ethical dilemma and how they actually behave when confronted with a real life situation are often very different.

…So I take a lot of the pearl clutching with a pinch of salt. But hey, what’s a Mumsnet thread without the drama and moral outrage?! 😉

Please
or

Furryfeet · 15/06/2022 17:30

Luidaeg · 15/06/2022 07:06

Just going to put this out there

If it was in the house when the house was sold, and not taken with the contents then does it belong to the house owners.
Kind of like the light bulbs. Can the previous owner come back after x years and say I want my light bulbs back?

There is an argument for knowledge of leaving the items behind, but if it was probate then the owners of the cash aren't around now anyway?

*just idly thinking

This is an interesting point @Luidaeg And I will ask my solicitor friend about it although she practices in Scotland so her response may not apply everywhere. I know I’m being facetious but what if the seller left ALL their belongings in their old house? Would it be the buyer’s responsibility to return everything (except for the lightbulbs, obviously 😆)?

Please
or

Rosscameasdoody · 15/06/2022 17:55

I know I’m being facetious but what if the seller left ALL their belongings in their old house? Would it be the buyer’s responsibility to return everything (except for the lightbulbs, obviously 😆)?

Think I can answer that. In our last move the removal men left everything in our box room behind - just somehow forgot to empty it. We didn’t realise until our buyers’ estate agent contacted us. We got back on to the removal firm the following day and they had to provide a small van to empty the room and deliver to us. The buyers were really good about it, fortunately.

Please
or

Rosscameasdoody · 15/06/2022 17:57

Luidaeg · 15/06/2022 14:40

If karma was a bastard then most of the rich people out there would be skint!

Twaddle

Depends on how they got rich doesn’t it ?

Please
or

BennyBean · 15/06/2022 18:24

opened a can of worms there oh dear

Please
or

PurpleButterflyWings · 15/06/2022 20:36

Luidaeg · 15/06/2022 14:40

If karma was a bastard then most of the rich people out there would be skint!

Twaddle

Bullshit.

Many people who are rich aren't con merchants and thieves FFS. Many rich/well off people have actually worked hard for everything they have. What a spiteful and bitter comment to make. Don't hate them because you ain't them!

Please
or

Hollipolly · 15/06/2022 20:45

@Luidaeg I agree!

Please
or

Furryfeet · 15/06/2022 21:04

Bullshit.

Many people who are rich aren't con merchants and thieves FFS. Many rich/well off people have actually worked hard for everything they have. What a spiteful and bitter comment to make. Don't hate them because you ain't them!

Yeah, @Luidaeg you bitter pauper. Rich people are great and need defending. Just look at the royal family or the Cabinet: Hard working, honest, talented, virtuous, each generation pulling themselves up by their boot straps, earning their position on merit alone and paying their dues. Makes me ashamed to be on a middle-incomer whose parents were too lazy to get me a private education 😂

Please
or

Luidaeg · 15/06/2022 21:12

Bullshit.

Phillip Green
Elon Musk
Prince Andrew
Trump
Boris
Cherie Blair

There are plenty more, www.ranker.com/list/wealthy-people-who-are-basically-supervillains/jacob-shelton some here

And you have literally no idea how much money I have

Maybe I have millions in the bank, maybe I have 37p....

Please
or

woody87 · 15/06/2022 21:18

@Rosscameasdoody

Fuck me you must be a laugh a minute at parties 🙄

Please
or

Rosscameasdoody · 16/06/2022 07:59

Certainly am !!

Please
or

Furryfeet · 16/06/2022 09:47

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

Please
or

Tomasinabombadil · 16/06/2022 10:51

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

@Furryfeet
have you commented on the wrong thread/post?🙂

Oh and btw… just read a news item this morning that there are proposals to introduce a law to stop landlords both private & housing associations from banning pets in their rental properties.

Please
or

Furryfeet · 16/06/2022 11:08

Tomasinabombadil · 16/06/2022 10:51

@Furryfeet
have you commented on the wrong thread/post?🙂

Oh and btw… just read a news item this morning that there are proposals to introduce a law to stop landlords both private & housing associations from banning pets in their rental properties.

Haha! Sorry about that everyone 😬😆

Please
or

Furryfeet · 16/06/2022 12:36

@Tomasinabombadil … and thanks for the heads up. I hadn’t seen the news but gathered something like that had happened based on the ‘allergists v pet owners’ subject on the other thread. Still not sure if it applies to me in Scotland but assume so until I learn otherwise

Please
or

ElizabethDarcy88 · 16/06/2022 15:47

Soooo. The solicitor phoned and they have claimed the money. Which in all honesty is fine with us. Thanks for all your comments

OP posts:
Please
or

prettyteapotsplease · 16/06/2022 17:02

It may be a little disappointing not to get a little something ElizabethDarcy88 but at least you know you've done the right thing.

Please
or

Reigateforever · 16/06/2022 18:02

You have done the right thing ElizabethDarcy88 and you can sleep with a clear conscience.
I do hope the benefactor will in turn give you a reward for your honesty.

Please
or

Fizbosshoes · 16/06/2022 19:12

The recipients may yet give the OP some kind of thank you or reward, once they have actually got the money. Sometimes it takes ages to get things via probate/solicitors. I received a final payment from my dads estate last month ...and he died 2.5 years ago!

Please
or

Fedupsotired · 16/06/2022 21:02

Did they have to prove that it was their money or just say yes?

Please
or

Luidaeg · 17/06/2022 07:12

Another random thought

They say when you buy a house, if you turn it upside down, what doesnt fall out belongs in the house ( ie fitted kitchen etc) technically as the find was in the fittings and would not have fallen out, is there an argument that it belongs to the new owner?

(I know op has given the money to the sellers etc, I'm just wondering)

Please
or

Justleaveitblankthen · 17/06/2022 07:32

FAQs · 13/06/2022 18:55

I bet this ends up in the newspapers as a, what would to do piece.

Agree. The Loose Women producers have a segment all sorted now 😂

Please
or

OperationRinka · 17/06/2022 07:36

Luidaeg · 17/06/2022 07:12

Another random thought

They say when you buy a house, if you turn it upside down, what doesnt fall out belongs in the house ( ie fitted kitchen etc) technically as the find was in the fittings and would not have fallen out, is there an argument that it belongs to the new owner?

(I know op has given the money to the sellers etc, I'm just wondering)

That saying means that the thing itself is attached, not that it happens to be contained in something. The china in the cupboards on the wall doesn't become a fixture if there's a lock on the doors.

Please
or

Furryfeet · 17/06/2022 09:14

Fedupsotired · 16/06/2022 21:02

Did they have to prove that it was their money or just say yes?

This is what I was wondering. The use of the word ‘claiming’ is ambiguous. Are they just saying ‘yeah, we’ll take it’ or ‘We believe there’s a case for us receiving it’?

Please
or

FAQs · 17/06/2022 09:40

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?