Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

£4000 found when ripping out kitchen

348 replies

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:06

Today after having old kitchen ripped out our fitter found hidden a box and inside was £4000 in cash. ...we have informed solicitor who managed the sale. (It was a probate house sale) what do you think will happen?

OP posts:
Please
or

EmmaH2022 · 13/06/2022 19:54

CanaryShoulderedThorn · 13/06/2022 19:53

We had something similar to this but £600 in an envelope, found at the bottom of a glove compartment in car we bought. We took it straight round and the old owners were thrilled.
Couldn't keep something that wasn't mine.
It will come back to you in one way or another OP.
I once gave £20 (that I really couldn't afford) to a woman crying outside the foodbank , which had closed early. The very next day I won the staff lottery at work 😉

I would do that too. It's the inheritance bit that complicates this.

Please
or

ClinicallyProven · 13/06/2022 19:54

As a child I found £10 in the street. My dad took me to hand it in at the police station. In those days (I don't think police take lost property now) if it wasn't claimed within so many weeks, the finder was able to keep it.

When we went back it see if it had been claimed (which I think my dad thought would be my reward for being honest!) we were advised that it had.

A loose £10 note blowing down the street and someone not only realised where they'd lost it, but went to the right police station to find it and were able to persuade them they were the rightful owner. What are the chances of that?!

Since then neither dad or I have handed anything in. We'll take steps ourselves to find the owner, but I wouldn't hand it in anywhere official.

Please
or

StressedMumm1e · 13/06/2022 19:55

Can’t wait for the update!

Please
or

ClinicallyProven · 13/06/2022 20:01

Aphantasia · 13/06/2022 19:09

My dad did stuff like this, years after he dies my Mun found 5k in 50s stuffed into an envelope hidden in a book on a book shelf, she also found a couple of grand stashed under their mattress shortly after he passed away. She had no clue about either. Every so often she gets calls about bonds he’d taken out years ago that have matured again that she had no clue about

When we cleared DH's grandad's house the house clearance people were very interested in the books. MiL kept saying "they're just ordinary paperbacks"

I think it's common that elderly people stash cash in books and the house clearers obviously knew that.

Please
or

IglesiasPiggl · 13/06/2022 20:04

As a child I found £10 in the street. My dad took me to hand it in at the police station. In those days (I don't think police take lost property now) if it wasn't claimed within so many weeks, the finder was able to keep it.

When we went back it see if it had been claimed (which I think my dad thought would be my reward for being honest!) we were advised that it had.

A loose £10 note blowing down the street and someone not only realised where they'd lost it, but went to the right police station to find it and were able to persuade them they were the rightful owner. What are the chances of that?!

Since then neither dad or I have handed anything in. We'll take steps ourselves to find the owner, but I wouldn't hand it in anywhere official.

Definitely police corruption! Did you ask how they could prove that a random £10 was theirs?

Please
or

Peanutbuttercupisyum · 13/06/2022 20:09

AlternativePerspective · 13/06/2022 18:49

Really unnecessary posts on here.

Lots of older people stash money away or people who are vulnerable in many ways.

Just because there are s many people on here who clearly don’t give a shit that this money might have been left by e.g. someone who was vulnerable and scared of using a bank account, doesn’t make the OP wrong for contacting the solicitor.

In fact I am shocked that there are so many people here who would hang on to 4 grand with no conscience.

And yet on other threads people are berating posters for not handing in £20 to the police.

I agree!!! It’s ridiculous! Of course I think most people IRL would hand it in/declare it. Who could spend £4K knowing it wasn’t really meant for then? Knowing the owner had got it out and carefully stashed it.
To take it and just spend it I think is just so grabby and greedy.

Please
or

CrispsnDips · 13/06/2022 20:10

I think I would struggle with the thought of the kitchen fitter telling all his mates that he’d found the money and handed it to me - I would let him keep half but I would hate that people gossip. The kitchen fitter was VERY honest. It would be easier if I’d found it and then I would’ve kept it hush hush…

Please
or

Tryagain2020 · 13/06/2022 20:10

I am despondent to read that so many people would have kept money that isn't theirs.

Well done for being honest OP.

Please
or

hearmywomanlyroar · 13/06/2022 20:11

Well done OP. You've absolutely done the right thing and I would have done the same.

Please
or

ClinicallyProven · 13/06/2022 20:14

IglesiasPiggl · 13/06/2022 20:04

Definitely police corruption! Did you ask how they could prove that a random £10 was theirs?

I was a child, but I seem to recall my dad and an officer had a very heated discussion about it!

Please
or

Rabbitmugsarecute · 13/06/2022 20:17

I say this as someone who ADORES money as well

That tickled me 🤣

I'd have split it 50/50 with the fitter

Please
or

Sunnytwobridges · 13/06/2022 20:17

I have found wallets with cash and CCs in them and always returned them. However if I find money in my house I would keep it, my house my money. 😁

Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 13/06/2022 20:18

Wow, I imagine it will go to the relatives of the previous owner now. Did the fitter know what was in the box when he gave it to you?

Please
or

Hutchy16 · 13/06/2022 20:19

I found a big (monstrously big), black, veiny, dildo (with balls too) - I wish I had sent that to my solicitor to give back haha

Please
or

Winkydink · 13/06/2022 20:19

Well done OP. Glad there are some honest people out there. I found a very very (think £20k) expensive piece of jewellery left behind by previous owners 4 years after living in our house. They had given it up for lost and it was uninsured for complicated reasons. I tracked them down via Facebook and I felt very pleased handing it back to them.

Please
or

Doginthewindow · 13/06/2022 20:21

waddlemyway · 13/06/2022 19:22

OP you, DH and the kitchen fitter are swimming in good, honest karma. It will come back to you in one way or another, even if it’s not £4000.

Kinda similar thing happened to me when I bought a 2nd hand oven off ebay (back in the day when that was what ebay was used for 😂). About a year later I wanted to look up something in the instruction manual and £500 fell out the back. I was mighty tempted to keep the dosh but a quick poll of friends said I had to tell him. He was so, so grateful he cried. He said he really needed the money, it was like his deceased wife had sent it to him just when their daughter could use it the most. He couldn’t believe his luck, he couldn’t believe my honesty. He told me to keep £100 to take my kids for a nice day out to the zoo or something fun and could I please transfer the other £400. I wish I could say I hadn’t have been tempted to keep it at first, but now after that experience I’d always “do the right thing”

That was a lovely thing to read.

Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 13/06/2022 20:22

about 30 years ago I found £80 blowing about in the street and handed it in to the police and it genuinely was claimed. I was a police cadet at the time so I’m sure the front desk officer didn’t lie to me. It was an elderly person who’d dropped his pension.

I’ve more recently found £10 in the street and kept it. Didn’t seem worth going to the police station, I should probably have donated it to the food bank.

Please
or

Furryfeet · 13/06/2022 20:22

When my parents die, if they leave any property (unlikely given the cost of care etc.) I would consider it entirely my responsibility to take anything of value with me before the sale and anything that turned up after that would, in my opinion be for the vendor to keep. Is this not what is meant by ‘possession is 9 10ths of the law’? And as others have already pointed out, the original owners have no use for the money, their family have just inherited a house and there is no way of proving who the money belonged to.

Please
or

Ragwort · 13/06/2022 20:24

Of course you did the right thing, I find it quite shocking that so many say 'just keep it'.

Please
or

Iflyaway · 13/06/2022 20:25

I would not have contacted the solicitor. Did HE do a thorough check of the house? Of course not.

I get where you're coming from though but....

I would give the finder some.

Finders keepers and all that.

Publicising it, - i.e solicitor - you'll have to deal with all sorts coming out of the woodwork.

I once found 700 wrapped up in notes on the street on the way home. On a quiet street, years ago. I shared it out with my sister.

Please
or

Decemberly · 13/06/2022 20:25

AlternativePerspective · 13/06/2022 18:49

Really unnecessary posts on here.

Lots of older people stash money away or people who are vulnerable in many ways.

Just because there are s many people on here who clearly don’t give a shit that this money might have been left by e.g. someone who was vulnerable and scared of using a bank account, doesn’t make the OP wrong for contacting the solicitor.

In fact I am shocked that there are so many people here who would hang on to 4 grand with no conscience.

And yet on other threads people are berating posters for not handing in £20 to the police.

100% agree with this @AlternativePerspective

Please
or

DivorcedAndDelighted · 13/06/2022 20:28

ElizabethDarcy88 · 13/06/2022 18:30

It was the old £20 note another reason why we didn't as wasn't sure what bank would do if we tried to bank it

Those are still legal tender until September this year; I have spent some recently. After September any old £20 notes have to be paid into a bank account & the bank credits you for them.
OT for this thread but in case people are interested!

Please
or

FirstHusband · 13/06/2022 20:30

Years ago, having paid for her petrol, a woman left her purse on the roof of her car as she hunted for her keys. She drove away and when I picked up the purse, I noticed from documents that she lived 10 miles away.
I handed the purse into the local Police Station and whenever I have told the story, someone immediately asks if I got a receipt. I didn't think of it at the time and the officer behind the counter gladly took it without asking for any of my details.
A couple of years later, a policeman at that station was sacked for removing a Pay-a-you-go mobile phone from evidence and using his bank card to put credit on it.

Please
or

ahunf · 13/06/2022 20:31

myusernamewastakenbyme · 13/06/2022 18:49

This happened to my dh years ago....he used to do house clearances for the council...anyway an old person died and dh was asked to clear the flat...he asked if there was any next of kin etc and was told no and to dispose of everything...he found 5k down the back of a cupboard....he kept it....he said if he'd given it to the council it would have gone in someones pocket.

Did you really just type that 😂

Please
or

twinsufficient · 13/06/2022 20:31

These are not the current £20 paper notes. They are the previous ones so no longer in circulation

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?