My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Bought a Shark vacuum cleaner and it’s amazing

31 replies

HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:13

So had a Sebo animal cylinder before and just felt it never got the cat hair up. Bought a Shark lift away, just hoovered the living room after it was done two days ago and filled the cylinder with cat hair.

OP posts:
FfeminyddCymraeg · 30/07/2023 16:15

I love both of my Sharks…until I didn’t (sorry OP!). They started off so promising but the initial performance didn’t last - hence buying a second one 😂

HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:20

Oh dear. Well it was reduced from £300 to £149 in currys so not extortionate. Maybe they all just decline after a while and that’s what’s wrong with the sebo

OP posts:
Ilikewinter · 30/07/2023 16:28

Ah i love mine to, it did start to stutter, then I discovered the need to clean the filter 🤣🙈 ..... its now as good as new. Will defo get another one if/when its time.

FuckNuggets · 30/07/2023 16:28

I bought the Pet one a few years ago. It was great at first but couldn't handle my dog's hairs. (Long-haired Border Collie). The problem was the rollers underneath couldn't be removed and the hairs would get entangled quite easily. I used to nearly break my fingers trying to cut the hairs off the damn rollers every time I hoovered! I've got a Henry Pet hoover now, which isn't as good as I'd like, but it's miles better than the Shark!

FawnFrenchieMum · 30/07/2023 16:29

Make sure you keep up to the cleaning / filter cleaning and it should continue to be fab!

HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:35

FuckNuggets · 30/07/2023 16:28

I bought the Pet one a few years ago. It was great at first but couldn't handle my dog's hairs. (Long-haired Border Collie). The problem was the rollers underneath couldn't be removed and the hairs would get entangled quite easily. I used to nearly break my fingers trying to cut the hairs off the damn rollers every time I hoovered! I've got a Henry Pet hoover now, which isn't as good as I'd like, but it's miles better than the Shark!

Aggh, the Shark advisor in the shop promised me this wouldn’t happen because I also have a dyson cordless which I’ve stopped using due to hairs wrapped round the rollers which make it cut out. The woman promised all hairs would get in the cylinder.

OP posts:
HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:36

I wouldn’t be able to have a Henry, I’m having back issues and struggle pulling a vacuum along behind me so really wanted an upright.

OP posts:
DRS1970 · 30/07/2023 16:38

I have two shark cordless and find them to be brilliant.

Roselilly36 · 30/07/2023 16:39

I have the cordless shark, absolutely brilliant. Love mine.

morekidsthanhands · 30/07/2023 16:42

Sorry to jump on but I have a shark cordless that I love. I've been considering getting an upright - is the difference in suction big enough to buy a new one? I have a dog that sheds like crazy...

FuckNuggets · 30/07/2023 16:44

HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:35

Aggh, the Shark advisor in the shop promised me this wouldn’t happen because I also have a dyson cordless which I’ve stopped using due to hairs wrapped round the rollers which make it cut out. The woman promised all hairs would get in the cylinder.

Believe me, they don't. When I bought mine it had such good reviews online which was why I chose that one. Absolute waste of £250.

HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:45

morekidsthanhands · 30/07/2023 16:42

Sorry to jump on but I have a shark cordless that I love. I've been considering getting an upright - is the difference in suction big enough to buy a new one? I have a dog that sheds like crazy...

I don’t know how much difference there is but the Shark expert in store said with three animals and carpets I’d be better off with corded.

OP posts:
HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:45

Believe me, they don't. When I bought mine it had such good reviews online which was why I chose that one. Absolute waste of £250.

I will bloody demand a refund if this happens! Because I specifically asked about this.

OP posts:
PriamFarrl · 30/07/2023 16:47

I have very long hair and used to spend an age cutting the hair off the rollers. The Shark we have now has ‘anti-hair-wrap’ and it is amazing.

HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:55

This one is anti hair wrap so maybe I will be ok. Saying that I swear the dyson said the same and it was a load of bollocks.

OP posts:
FuckNuggets · 30/07/2023 16:59

PriamFarrl · 30/07/2023 16:47

I have very long hair and used to spend an age cutting the hair off the rollers. The Shark we have now has ‘anti-hair-wrap’ and it is amazing.

Mine also had what it called "anti-hair wrap technology". It should have stated "Anti-hair wrap technology apart from Border Collie hair". 🙄

Roselilly36 · 30/07/2023 17:31

The anti hair wrap on mine has been fantastic, my hair was always wrapped around my old cordless vac.

buckingmad · 30/07/2023 17:33

I’ve got an anti wrap shark and has it for 3 years with a long haired toddler, long haired cat plus dog and I reckon I’ve had to cut hairs from the rollers maybe 3 times. It’s def not as strong as it used to be but it’s still pretty good.

HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 17:41

I wonder why vacuums seem to lose performance over the years. We change filters, etc on the sebo.

OP posts:
MadisonAvenue · 30/07/2023 17:53

I love mine, I bought it over three years ago and it’s used daily.

The day before it arrived I’d vacuumed with my Dyson which I’d always thought was powerful and couldn’t believe how much dust, fluff and dog hair the Shark picked up after just 24 hours.

The anti hair wrap is brilliant too, my Dyson was always seizing up due to hair around the roller but I’ve never had to touch this to remove hair.

Liftaway works well for me too as we have two flights of stairs and it’s so much easier than handling a corded Dyson on them.

eurochick · 30/07/2023 18:01

Our shark went downhill quickly and then broke. We haven't had it that long. I'm so pissed off as they are not cheap. We've just been and bought a Miele.

TheIsleOfTheLost · 30/07/2023 18:32

I hate my shark, greatest vacuum regret of my life. I don't think my hair is particularly unusual, but it beats up the anti wrap technology every time. Anything that is not dust gets stuck in the filter or hose. My old miele could quite happily take on small stones, tissues and socks. I wasn't generally thrilled about the sock eating, but it shows how powerful it was.
Can't wait for this one to break so I can justify another miele.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

FawnFrenchieMum · 30/07/2023 18:49

eurochick · 30/07/2023 18:01

Our shark went downhill quickly and then broke. We haven't had it that long. I'm so pissed off as they are not cheap. We've just been and bought a Miele.

Did you not claim on the five year warranty?

CrotchetyQuaver · 31/07/2023 10:59

HaveYouHeardOfARoadAtlas · 30/07/2023 16:55

This one is anti hair wrap so maybe I will be ok. Saying that I swear the dyson said the same and it was a load of bollocks.

We had no end of hassle with our very old Dyson and long human hair bunging up the brush roller. Doesn't happen very often at all with the anti hair wrap thing. I use nail scissors to cut it away. Always after someone else in this house has used it

martakeithy · 06/08/2023 22:04

My friend loves her Shark💕 She and her daugjter have long hair and they javetwo long haired cats. Apparently, the shark has left their carpets looking great.
I noticed that OP had /has a Sebo, which didn't cope with cat hair. Which model Sebo? I have an upright Sebo Felix which completely removes my Persian cross's fur from my carpets and my long hair. The beater brush can be taken out pretty easily for a haircut and not much seems to stop it. Not anti hair wrap, but haven't had problems with hair stopping it working. Maybe my hair is too soft/thin or something.? 😁 It is pretty heavy though and you have to be careful not to topple it.

Sebo Felix Vogue Eco

The FELIX VOGUE ECO is designed to be suitable for all floor types; the power brush can be turned on or off and the SEBO KOMBI, or optional SEBO PARQUET can be fitted for optimum cleaning performance on any floor. The SEBO FELIX offers professional per...

https://www.radfordvaccentre.com/products/sebo-felix-vogue-eco

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.