Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How dark is Egyptian Cotton?

28 replies

Thecatsmother17 · 27/07/2017 15:23

I'm looking for a colour for my hallway. It's currently white which is a bit too stark and shows every mark! I'm really struggling to find a colour DH and I can agree on.

He likes grey but we have enough of that elsewhere. We both quite like Egyptian Cotton but the tester looks quite dark and I'm worried it could make the hallway look a bit dark and gloomy.

Does anyone have this colour and can tell me what it's like?

OP posts:
Please
or

itstheyearzero · 27/07/2017 15:25

It is a bit dark and a bit gloomy to be honest. A friend of mine did his massive living room in it and it looked like sludge on the walls. Maybe if it's a nice light and airy hall it would be OK...?

Please
or

Thecatsmother17 · 27/07/2017 15:53

Hmm it's not quite light and airy enough unfortunately so it sounds like it's not the right colour!

OP posts:
Please
or

katymac · 27/07/2017 16:04

Oh I used it everywhere at my old house and it looked lovely not dark at all (even in the north facing lounge or internal hall)

Please
or

OnePlanOnHouzz · 27/07/2017 17:30

I have it in lots of rooms - it's fab ! Not dark whatsoever!

Please
or

Callamia · 27/07/2017 17:36

I've just spent weeks painting over it. We had it everywhere, and it was utterly light-sucking. It looks nice in the summer sunlight, and quite classy, but it was miserable in winter and dull weather. Rooms suddenly look much brighter and lighter.

Please
or

OnePlanOnHouzz · 27/07/2017 17:38

A north facing wall with EC panelling and ceiling ...

Please
or

user1499786242 · 28/07/2017 21:30

I LOVE Egyptian cotton!
When I was pregnant I spent months sobbing over tester patches (literally) trying to find the right colour for the nursery
I thought it was going to be too dark but it is so beautiful
Not quite grey but not beige
We love it so much that we are going to be using it throughout our new house!
Hope you can see the pic I've tried to attach?

Please
or

MrBennOfFestiveRoad · 28/07/2017 22:38

I love it, we have now used it for our sitting room in three houses, we have considered other colours but always end up going back to it.

Please
or

wowfudge · 28/07/2017 23:07

If you are worried it is too dark OP, try Natural Hessian instead. We said we would paint our inherited emerald green hall stairs and landing Egyptian Cotton when we get round to it. It's NE facing and it being gloomy is my fear as we have lots of trees which do cut quite a bit of light.

Please
or

BellMcEnd · 28/07/2017 23:11

I'm not mad on it, tbh. Our big kitchen diner is painted in EC and I think it's a bit drab and gloomy. We're redecorating soon and I'm going to do it in Dulux Timeless which is a lovely fresh white with subtle pigments (if that makes any sense whatsoever)

Please
or

TwoBlueFish · 29/07/2017 10:42

Hallway with Egyptian cotton. I also have it in my kitchen and dining room.

Please
or

mumma24 · 29/07/2017 11:46

I have it and its not dark

Please
or

mumma24 · 29/07/2017 11:47

Egyptian cotton

Please
or

wowfudge · 30/07/2017 08:35

If an area is already dark though, then the paint will look darker and the grey in it will be more pronounced.

Please
or

Thecatsmother17 · 30/07/2017 09:08

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
I think I'm going to go with Natural Calico. The Egyptian Cotton is lovely but I think it will be too dark, especially on the stairs where there is no natural light.

OP posts:
Please
or

OnePlanOnHouzz · 30/07/2017 09:29

You can add daylight bulbs into lamps on timers set to daylight hours - it can help with darker areas of you can't get natural daylight in any other way ?

Please
or

Onthehighseas · 30/07/2017 09:31

One other alternative is antique cream. Might be worth a tester?

Please
or

namechangedtoday15 · 01/08/2017 00:24

I have the same hallway in EC as Twobbluefish - it's not dark at all. I think Natural Calico is really light and a little bland - in a previous house we had lined the walls with lining paper and then painted in Natural Calico - it looked just like lining paper.

Please
or

TwoBlueFish · 01/08/2017 22:00

It really isn't dark. We have glass panels in our front door but no other natural light. We previously had Dulux natural hessian and that looked a bit cold, we had a sample of the calico and it was just not enough colour and warmth. The Egyptian cotton really is lovely, my mum is now painting her hallway the same colour after seeing mine.

Please
or

lionsleepstonight · 04/08/2017 15:49

I'm slowly putting it in every room in the house! It's really not dark at all. It's a great neutral.

Please
or

ophiotaurus · 04/08/2017 16:42

I really like that colour. Who is it made by?

Please
or

lionsleepstonight · 04/08/2017 19:33

Dulux!

Please
or

RoseJones · 06/07/2019 22:37

I know this is an old thread but thank you, nevertheless. Am now going to paint my hallway Egyptian Cotton and not Perfectly Taupe which was way too dark! Bought a tester and it's lovely!

Please
or

rimmie · 29/10/2019 17:27

Hi. I too have decided to use Egyptian cotton in a hallway but would prefer to wait only some walls in it and contrast other walls with a different colour. Had anyone done this or have any ideas?

Please
or

Mamia15 · 02/11/2019 14:10

I have Egyptian cotton with Hague blue and also had it paired with a burgundy paint (can't remember the name) - both combinations worked well.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?