Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Open plan bathrooms in hotel rooms - UGH

122 replies

rookiemere · 31/01/2022 11:58

So looking to go to Tenerife in October with DH, DS16 and his pal also 16.
Thought I'd found a perfect hotel, only to find that the bathroom HAS NO DOOR OR WALL Confused. This is a newly decorated room in a 5 star hotel, so assume it's the new thing.

But who on earth wants to see their DP doing their ablutions, never mind if it's not actually your Significant Other you were sharing with ? DH and I were discussing it and even if you were on your own we'd want a separate room to contain the toilet smells from the rest of the room.

Has anyone else encountered this? Tis very annoying as the hotel was perfect in all other respects ,but I'm now back to the drawing board.

OP posts:
Please
or

YellowLemonz · 31/01/2022 12:03

What?!
What hotel is it?

Please
or

Fairylightsongs · 31/01/2022 12:05

Can you post a link?

Please
or

DillDanding · 31/01/2022 12:06

We stayed in a hotel in Barcelona where the shower overlooked the bed. We liked it, but I can see many people would be uncomfortable with it.

As long as the toilet is separate, I think it’s fine. I really don’t want to watch my husband taking a shit.

Please
or

Aposterhasnoname · 31/01/2022 12:08

Stayed in loads of these, and the toilet is always in a little separate room. Are you sure it’s not?

Please
or

rookiemere · 31/01/2022 12:09

Here it is. I suppose you can't see the toilet but it still seems weird and means I can't book it as two 16 year olds sharing would likely implode with constipation after a few days www.dreamplacehotels.com/en/hotel-gran-tacande/rooms/#&gid=1&pid=2

OP posts:
Please
or

rookiemere · 31/01/2022 12:12

Ah I see there is a frosted door for the toilet, still not a goer as the boys will want privacy in the shower- and to be fair so do I.

OP posts:
Please
or

DillDanding · 31/01/2022 12:12

The toilet is separate though? I think it looks lovely.

Please
or

User0458832 · 31/01/2022 12:14

I wouldn't book it, I like to do my daily ablutions in privacy

Please
or

rookiemere · 31/01/2022 12:15

To be fair the toilet is separate.I still find it weird though, I like to shower in peace without DH being able to see me.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fairylightsongs · 31/01/2022 12:16

Op there is also a shower door if you look closely,

Please
or

PrincessPaws · 31/01/2022 12:17

Bloody ridiculous new concept that is popping up in some of the hotel chains. Even though the toilet is separate, I want some privacy when I am in the bathroom generally. Not to mention I get up super early and use the bathroom to dress in the light without disturbing DH

The Riu hotel chain, which I loved and have used a lot, are doing it with their refurbs so sadly I'll have to go elsewhere

Please
or

rookiemere · 31/01/2022 12:18

@Fairylightsongs the shower door looks see through though, but I grant you not as bad as I first thought.

OP posts:
Please
or

rookiemere · 31/01/2022 12:20

@PrincessPaws I hadn't thought about going to the toilet during the night, DH and I both do this, so that's another thing to consider.

OP posts:
Please
or

Lindy2 · 31/01/2022 12:21

That's not what I want from a nice hotel.

Bathrooms should be separate from the main area and have a door. Surely that's not that an unusual preference!

Smells and singing in the bath or shower should be done in privacy.

Please
or

PrincessPaws · 31/01/2022 12:25

Obviously the toilet cubical has a light in, but the frosted glass door means the whole place lights up if you use it. Then you have to wash your hands in the dark.

If either of you wants to clean teeth/put on or take off makeup etc/get dressed while the other is asleep you have to do it in the dark, or wake your partner up because there isn't a separate room where you can put a light on

Not to mention that using the shower feels like using a shower cubicle at the gym unless you are happy stripping off in front of whoever else is in the room (and in our case the room on a right angle to ours, as the glass 'privacy wall' gave no privacy so you had to close the curtains!)

I bloody hated every second of that hotel room!

Please
or

CloseYourEyesAndSee · 31/01/2022 12:28

So you open the toilet door directly into the bedroom?
The toilet is feet away from the bed?
Fuck. That.
I stayed in a my hotel room with DP and the bathroom was an awful little cubicle inside the room which I hated and I went to poo in the bar toilets! Neither of us wants to hear the other poo or have the toilet open into the bedroom. Gross.

Please
or

Midlander88 · 31/01/2022 12:29

It's a no from me! I don't get why? Even people who shower/bath in a sexy, cinematic way where they're not cleaning all their unglamorous nooks and crannies...you wouldn't be able to hear the TV over the sound of the shower and extractor fan surely!

Please
or

User0458832 · 31/01/2022 12:30

So the room is for three adults...

Please
or

Clymene · 31/01/2022 12:30

This is just cost saving dressed up as modern

Please
or

lifesnotaspectatorsport · 31/01/2022 12:31

I've stayed in a few rooms with this type of arrangement, although usually there was a glass partition above the bath rather than totally open. Toilet always has a door.

I don't mind it as a couple but it is a bit odd for a room they're offering to a family!

Please
or

Choccyp1g · 31/01/2022 12:31

The last two hotels I have stayed in had semi frosted doors to the bathroom. In one of them you could clearly see someone sitting on the toilet. One of them had no lock on the door. In both of them the bathroom light lit up the bedroom at night.

Why? I assume there is a reason beyond simple fashion.

Please
or

dancinfeet · 31/01/2022 12:34

What puts me off something like this is what if you are ill? We picked up a nasty sick bug likely on the plane on the way to our holiday. Affected some of our family members not others, but ugh the thought of it coming out of both ends with no protection from sounds and smells for other person in the room would make me think twice. Bathroom/ toilet needs to be private even from nearest and dearest!!

Please
or

rookiemere · 31/01/2022 12:54

It also assumes that everyone sharing is happy to be seen showering and bathing. I often go away with friends and share a room, this arrangement would be a hard no from me in those circumstances.

I've been reading the reviews to see if we could get over it as hotel is - in all other respects- perfect.But people are mentioning it as a reason for not coming back.

OP posts:
Please
or

rookiemere · 31/01/2022 13:04

Dammit the other hotel that I was going to go for has also got open plan bathrooms as well. So annoying.

OP posts:
Please
or

Caspianberg · 31/01/2022 13:06

Weird.

I wouldn’t mind if just the bath was out, as that’s more a leisurely pass time thing. But if I’m going now with Dh and my 1 year old, it would mean once toddler is asleep, we can’t easily shower, loo or wash hand or teeth without the noise or lights waking him ( or each other if one of us slept earlier or later than each other)

In your senario of teen friends sharing, they obviously don’t really want to see each other showering etc

Please
or