Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to go for sun&swimming end of October

41 replies

NoMoreLimbo · 08/11/2021 15:08

Hello all.
I’m looking for some travel tips.
I’m planning (hopping) to take my two DDs (then 12 and 14) on a holiday for October half term next year.
There is a limit to budget and time (a week) so cannot go too far afield.
We are after sunshine and swimming. I am not keen on the Canary Islands.
Does anyone have experience of Cyprus, Cape Verde, Marocco at the end October??

OP posts:
Please
or

ArtfulScreamer · 08/11/2021 15:19

I've done Cyprus mid October and it was lovely and warm even if it was a few degrees cooler at the end of October it'd still be nice. I also find the sea to be a pleasant temperature in Cyprus, I usually prefer the sea to the swimming pool as its warmer.

Please
or

MacavityTheDentistsCat · 08/11/2021 15:37

Is Egypt too far? It's generally still quite warm there at the end of October.

Please
or

peppersauce1984 · 08/11/2021 15:48

I went to Egypt in November and it was a great temperature. The nights got a bit chilly. Wherever you go make sure pool is heated.

Please
or

ChimChimeny · 08/11/2021 15:53

No idea I'm afraid, I was looking for October half term this year & nowhere was guaranteed hot enough and heated pools. If we had 2 weeks off & loads of money it'd be Florida or the Caribbean 🤣

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 08/11/2021 17:24

Ohhh I would love Seychelles or Caribbean island @ChimChimeny Sadly the bank wouldn’t love it.
@ArtfulScreamer good to know about Cyprus. I will investigate further.
@MacavityTheDentistsCat and @peppersauce1984 I had. Or thought of Egypt. Will have a gander.
Egypt/Morocco could potentially be options….

OP posts:
Please
or

MrBeagles · 08/11/2021 17:26

We did Malaga last week and it was lovely. Temps around 23/4c but 'feels like' temperature was probably around 26-8c.

I was surprised at how much there was to do. My two (11& 3) were in the pool everyday. Smile

Please
or

Youhaveyourhandsfull · 08/11/2021 17:29

Be careful with Morocco- I’ve been in October on the Atlantic side (Essaouira) and it will be nice and warm, but if you want to swim the sea will be freezing. The Med side would be warmer but I’m not sure what the resorts are like there.

Please
or

SexyNeckbeard · 08/11/2021 17:29

Cyprus will still be warm and it's a great country with loads to do. This week is anywhere from 24 to 27 degrees although it will be starting to get a bit rainy

Please
or

Grenlei · 08/11/2021 17:31

Cape Verde is still very warm in Oct (DC's friends went there at HT this year and it was high 20s most days) it's a longish flight though and apparently can get quite windy, so it's cool in the evenings.

Please
or

minipie · 08/11/2021 17:36

We were in Cyprus last week and it was lovely! 26+ degrees, I am a cold person and was happily sunbathing in a bikini. We even swam in the unheated pool, it was a bit chilly but the sun was warm enough to heat us up afterwards. Sea was warmer as a pp says. Had one slightly rainy afternoon, one cloudy but dry one and the rest sunny.

Marrakech is another option.

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 08/11/2021 18:01

Thanks so much all!
Seems like lots of positive for Cyprus!
Thanks for tip of Morocco @Youhaveyourhandsfull!! Will bear that in mind

OP posts:
Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 08/11/2021 21:13

We have a property in Spain and we usually go for October half term, this time it was mid 20s and we swam in the sea and pool but did need long sleeves if we wanted to sit outside to eat at night.
I have been to Cape Verde in October too, much hotter and we did enjoyed it. I recommend the Melia Tortuga, lovely family suites

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 09/11/2021 00:02

@Hoppinggreen Thanks. I will look at that place in Cape Verde.
Wherever we do go I don’t mind putting on something long sleeved in the evening as long as it’s warm enough to swim during the day.

OP posts:
Please
or

Queenie6655 · 09/11/2021 00:24

Went to Palma last week

Was just heaven
Mid 20s most days
Lots swimming in the sea
Jackets needed in the evening
But for me was perfect temp
Lovely breeze

Sadly one day of heavy rain in a week (could have been worse )

Highly recommend it

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 09/11/2021 14:42

@Queenie6655 oh that sounds wonderful as well. I must say I had no idea some of these places in Europe remained so warm end of October

OP posts:
Please
or

KellyMarieTunstall2 · 13/11/2021 18:50

We went to Turkey for half term in October just recently. The weather was lovely.

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 14/11/2021 11:07

@KellyMarieTunstall2 How wonderful. Whereabouts in Turkey did you go?

OP posts:
Please
or

KellyMarieTunstall2 · 14/11/2021 14:22

We stayed at the TUI blue Ephesus hotel in Kusadasi

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 15/11/2021 09:55

@KellyMarieTunstall2 Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

stacedyer · 15/11/2021 10:08

We just went to the canaries (not Palma like pp). High 20's which was hotter than expected - think it's normally mid 20's. Took cardigans but only needed them one evening when we walked along the sea front at 9pm. That was more because there was a breeze rather than it being cold as the temperature never actually dropped below 20.
The sea was lovely - actually felt warmer than one of the hotel pools.
As I child I went to turkey and Tunisia which were a similar climate but I personally felt safer in the canaries - if your DC have blue eyes or blonde hair be prepared for a lot of attention in the North African countries.

Please
or

Scotabroad24 · 15/11/2021 10:11

The Algarve is lovely end of October! Can sunbathe in the day time, bit chilly at night so need long sleeves.

Please
or

Youngatheart00 · 15/11/2021 10:17

Can I ask why you’re not keen on the canaries?

There’s genuinely something for everyone, it’s not just Tenerife Playa de las Americas!

It’s also much better developed and safer in the main than Cape Verde or Egypt

Please
or

Molly499 · 15/11/2021 15:50

Just back from Cyprus yesterday, fab weather 26/28 every day. It depends on what you want to do? Lying by a pool or on a beach is my idea of hell but may be just what you are looking for, we hired a car and travelled the whole of the southern coast so saw a lot and had some lovely meals.

Please
or

liveforsummer · 15/11/2021 15:52

Cyprus is a risk but only a small one. Pools are too cold (imo) and many closed but sea is still lovely. You'll need a main resort town, smaller ones will be ghost towns. This year it's still absolutely baking atm, in the 30's last week.

Please
or

FAQs · 15/11/2021 15:58

We have been to Cyprus, Egypt and Dubai for Oct half term. Egypt lovely and warm however wouldn’t go back, fed up of being harassed. Dubai was roasting hot and we enjoyed it. Cyprus was lovely and warm, felt very safe and explored a lot, it did rain for 3 days out of the 7 however not all day and cleared up quickly. Lots of stray cats!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?