Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone flying to USA this week end and scared their flight are going to be cancelled?

37 replies

Italianmoma1983 · 03/03/2020 13:53

That’s it really !! Flying on Friday but worried we won’t be able because of Coronavirus!

OP posts:
Please
or

BubblesBuddy · 03/03/2020 18:26

Has the government said flights to the USA are being cancelled? Or likely to be by Friday? What about the USA Govt? I don’t think the flights will be cancelled.

Please
or

Apolloanddaphne · 03/03/2020 18:30

There are less than 100 confirmed cases in population of over 300 million people. I doubt they are going to cancel flights on that basis. Their economy would be dead.

Please
or

Chemenger · 03/03/2020 18:32

I’m going tomorrow and it looks like the flight is full. There doesn’t seem to be any threat of stopping flights.

Please
or

notimagain · 03/03/2020 19:05

Not aware of any restrictions between the U.K. and US at the moment but noting the OPs username I can see why they might be concerned:

www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/03/02/major-us-airlines-cut-italy-flights-after-cdc-issues-travel-warning/

Please
or

BritWifeinUSA · 04/03/2020 03:50

Where are you flying to? The worst affected state is Washington, where I live. Most states have had no cases reported. We actually have fewer cases per capita than the UK. So arguably you are better off here. The UK has 51 cases. We have 118 but 5 times the population.

Please
or

marcopront · 04/03/2020 03:54

Where are you flying from?

Please
or

BritInUS1 · 04/03/2020 04:31

They won’t be cancelled

Please
or

MrsMeg1 · 04/03/2020 06:17

@Britwifeinusa

What you’ve got to remember though is that the us have only been testing in tiny numbers.

The cases in a Washington indicate community spread for possible weeks.

Tests are only now becoming more widely available so in the next days and weeks your confirmed cases are likely to soar.

Please
or

Chemenger · 04/03/2020 10:34

I’m in Heathrow right now.on my way to the US. The only noticeable difference from usual is the number of people carefully washing their hands in the toilets. It may be a bit quieter than usual but it’s a while since I’ve flown through here. I was asked at check in if I had traveled anywhere else in the last two weeks, but I hadn’t so I don’t know what would have happened if I had.

Please
or

20viona · 04/03/2020 10:36

I'm due to go to NY on the 17th. I'm
Not concerned but i know it's just my luck for mine to get cancelled, Thomas cook went bust a week before we were going to Vegas in October 😂

Please
or

Chemenger · 04/03/2020 10:42

Just found out that the reason I was asked about recent travel is that the us has new restrictions on people who have been to China in the last two weeks.

Please
or

BritWifeinUSA · 04/03/2020 13:31

@MrsMeg1 what you also have to remember is that we don’t have the same level of paranoia and hysteria here that I’m reading about in the UK. 25 people died in a tornado in TN yesterday. We have things far more deadly and far more unavoidable here than a virus. And we have them all the time.

Please
or

MrsMeg1 · 04/03/2020 13:41

@BritWifeinUSA

It’s important people know the facts so can make an informed decision. Your information was incorrect, you need to delve a bit further than what the media tells you.

I have seen no ‘hysteria’ here yet. Yes some panic buying of toilet roll and pot noodles, but then that happens whenever we have snow.

I would say travel at the moment would generally be ok, but in a months time possibly not. Time will tell.

Please
or

Chemenger · 04/03/2020 20:26

Zero health checks and no additional questions on arrival in the US. A few people were wearing masks on the flight. The flight was less than half full, everyone in my bit of economy had at least two seats, I had a row of four to myself.

Please
or

notimagain · 04/03/2020 20:47

Just got off a fairly full flight to the Eastern seaboard of the States from Heathrow...

Yes Heathrow is a bit quieter this week than last but TBH it looked to me like the fairly standard post European/U.K. lull you get at the end of the early spring school holidays.

I think if we really are going to see a Covid effect on flights ex-U.K. (and I am sure we will) it hasn’t really happened yet, it will start to kick in over the next week or two as we see the corporate travel ban really kicking in, which will clobber the premium cabins, and after that it will be interesting to see if economy traffic picks up as it normally does prior to Easter....if it stays flat then.....

Please
or

BubblesBuddy · 04/03/2020 20:49

Flybe is in trouble again citing customer cancellations. London felt quiet today. Got a seat on the train home!

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 04/03/2020 20:52

you will be fine going to the US this weekend. further in the future might be problematic. in the unlikely event your airline cancels your flight there is a very strong liklihood they'll just put you on another one. Won't leave you stranded!

Please
or

Itscoldouthere · 04/03/2020 20:55

I’m flying back to UK from Canada next week, due to then fly back to Canada on 24th April, I think things may look very different by then and who knows if I’ll be able to fly or not, I just wish I’d taken insurance when I booked my flight but unfortunately I didn’t.

Please
or

KenDodd · 04/03/2020 21:00

I'm going to the US in three weeks. I hope they do cancel my flight, I don't want to go anymore.

Please
or

notimagain · 04/03/2020 21:24

Flybe is in trouble again citing customer cancellations

Flybe’s problems (and they may have actually gone in the last few minutes) run much much much deeper than Coronavirus, but it’s a convenient excuse that can be used by those that hold the purse strings.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 06/03/2020 06:56

It’s problems may be deep rooted but I’m sure the current climate of fear of going away would have helped a lot in finishing it off! Virgin are promoting that they’ll rearrange flights at no additional cost which is probably the way to go! A good time to be a drug or loo paper manufacturer I’m sure but bloody awful for the Travel sector!

Please
or

Chemenger · 07/03/2020 23:19

In New York today, everything much the same as usual. Theatre was full last night, restaurants busy. They have cancelled the express trains between New York and Washington because of dropping demand due to coronavirus.

Please
or

ILOVEALLCAKES · 08/03/2020 20:29

@Chemenger - thanks for the update. I’m due to travel to NYC in 3 weeks.

Please
or

Chemenger · 08/03/2020 22:06

Today I’m in Washington. The event we were hosting had slightly better than expected attendance. There seemed to be less concern here than in New York. A couple of people were wearing masks on the train from New York to Washington. It was pretty full.

Please
or

Chemenger · 09/03/2020 18:04

Just to update again. I flew from Washington to Atlanta today. Nothing unusual in either airport. Busy flight, a handful of people wearing masks. Cabin staff weren't taking any precautions. Very careful handwashing in the restrooms. The California leg of our trip has now been cancelled but we're going to Chicago and Houston as planned.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?