Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

DD Signed passport incorrectly

55 replies

Tatapie · 22/01/2020 20:19

Below the line not on it! Argh! She doesn't travel for a while, should I replace it or will it be OK? Going to South Africa. What a numpty !!!

OP posts:
Please
or

QuillBill · 22/01/2020 20:25

You have to contact the passport advice number and ask.

Please
or

Tatapie · 22/01/2020 20:37

Yes I will tomorrow, just wondering if anyone already has and can stop me stressing! Don't know why I go to pieces over official thingsConfused

OP posts:
Please
or

madasamarchhare · 22/01/2020 21:11

I had a similar issue. My daughter signed hers in blue pen rather than black. Rang the passport office and got a different answer dependant on who I spoke to. Someone said it was fine then someone else said it was up to border force (?!) I decided to bite the bullet and apply for another new one and sent in a covering note as to why. They returned the passport and the fee with a letter saying it was acceptable for travel. This may be the best option for you.

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 22/01/2020 21:13

Has she had it all counter signed if not i would get her a new form and do it again

Please
or

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 22/01/2020 21:15

Bit the form mrsjayy, the actual passport

Please
or

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 22/01/2020 21:16

*not

Please
or

dementedpixie · 22/01/2020 21:16

It's the actual passport that is signed incorrectly not the application. Is it on the same page as the line?

Please
or

Chalkitup · 22/01/2020 21:17

What do you mean? On a form that you've sent off?

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 22/01/2020 21:17

Has the passport been issued? If it has I'd be very surprised if there was a problem.

If you're talking about the form then I'd get another one

Please
or

PetPeter · 22/01/2020 21:18

I haven’t signed the actual passport for years. My signature from the application form is printed onto the passport.
Is this a UK passport?

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 22/01/2020 21:19

On my current one it comes with a digital signature but in the past you had to physically sign it.

Please
or

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 22/01/2020 21:19

Some people have inserted the word FORM in the title where it doesn’t exist....

Please
or

dementedpixie · 22/01/2020 21:20

The most recent uk ones have a line for you to sign. They are no longer pre printed

Please
or

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 22/01/2020 21:20

They’ve gone back to needing to physically sign them again.

Please
or

CakeIsMyFavouriteAndBest · 22/01/2020 21:23

My 12 year old did this last year when we got her passport. Panicked a bit but one of our best friends works for border control and said it was fine. Travelled abroad and nobody said anything at Customs so I assume it was ok.

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 22/01/2020 21:24

Ah no yeah phone them

Please
or

SimonJT · 22/01/2020 21:25

I signed mine in green pen, it has been commented on before when I travel, but it hasn’t been a problem.

Please
or

ticking · 22/01/2020 21:29

I've just checked and both mine and DH's passport is not signed - I have travelled to at least 10 separate destinations on it and DH to about 15....I flew in and out of Switzerland 32 times last year on it. Never been asked why it's not signed, didn't realise it should be.

Please
or

Tatapie · 22/01/2020 21:34

Yes it's the actual passport ( which anyone above 11has to sign now) and yes it's on the same page, just below rather than on the line. Looks normal but I just get the fear... especially as it's a school trip!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Tatapie · 22/01/2020 21:35

Wish i hadn't bothered getting her to sign it!

OP posts:
Please
or

Ferretyone · 22/01/2020 21:43

I still don't understand this as if it is a new UK passport the signature is put on the document electronically and under the plastic to prevent any tampering! The "signature" is put on the form which is sent off to Passport Office and must be in black and totally inside a box

Wine?

@Tatapie

Please
or

CreekIsRising · 22/01/2020 21:45

I would also ask for a reissue with reasons stated in writing and hopefully like a pp they'll give you a written endorsement to carry with the passport or alternatively just charge you for another.

The reason the passport office can't really advise is that border staff are kind of a law unto themselves - I mean, they literally are, in that they're physically by nature between jurisdictions and have a large amount of discretionary power. Eg they can search you because you look suspicious etc.

Which is fine, but not something you want to come up against on the other side of the world as a teenager. None of us can tell you how it will go because it is actually, legally, up to them and that depends on so many things eg current security concerns etc which you have no way of knowing about from here, in advance. Just cover yourself.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 22/01/2020 21:47

New UK passports dont come pre signed, you need to sign it yourself. If you do the application online (as is common these days) then there is no signature on the form to put on the passport electronically

Please
or

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 22/01/2020 21:47

@Ferretyone as several people have already said- they’ve gone back to The method of signing it yourself when it arrives.

Do you think they OP is lying?

Please
or

BronteSisters · 22/01/2020 21:48

I forgot to sign mine at all. Managed a lovely holiday to Barcelona. DH forgot too. Border patrol did point it out on my way back but just said "Don't forget to sign it when you get a chance" so I don't think it's a huge deal.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?