Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Who’s booked for summer 2020? Looking for inspiration!

28 replies

Jungfraujoch · 29/09/2019 16:26

2 DSs who will be 19 and 15 (19 yr old will come if it’s somewhere interesting!).

Done quite a bit of Europe, poss consider further afield, budget willing!

OP posts:
Please
or

Starlight456 · 29/09/2019 16:28

I haven’t booked was about to the day tc folded . I am looking at Mexico

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 29/09/2019 16:41

A friend did Mexico this year - they loved it!

OP posts:
Please
or

TheCanterburyWhales · 29/09/2019 17:03

I'm researching for me and DD (16) Booked 3 days in Copenhagen so far but want a week's R and R package Possibly Dalmatian coast of Croatia.

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 29/09/2019 17:45

Copenhagen sounds good - I’ve done a little of Croatia around Dubrovnik and it was beautiful.

OP posts:
Please
or

PandaTurtle · 30/09/2019 11:45

I've booked Malaysia / Borneo and Thailand for next summer. Flights all booked, about half hotels booked.

Just researching the Malaysian peninsula part now looking for turtles. Its quite good value if you do everything yourself.

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 30/09/2019 16:24

Wow Panda sounds amazing! We don’t like the package deals either and always book flights and accommodation separately.

OP posts:
Please
or

rookiemere · 30/09/2019 20:18

Flights to Costa Rica booked - based on mumsnet recommendations- done some planning for hotels and itinerary.

Please
or

BritWifeinUSA · 01/10/2019 05:02

We’ve already booked Hawaii for next September.

Please
or

chrispenrallt1 · 01/10/2019 05:06

It’s northern Cyprus for me next summer. Here right now and it’s everything I want for a relaxing holiday

Please
or

Jenasaurus · 01/10/2019 05:12

I’m off to Croatia in May. I booked it this week. It’s a sensimar hotel with TUI I’m going with my DD (25). It looks stunning

Also off to Tenerife in December. Staying at the hard rock hotel (replacing my Thomas Cook break that obviously won’t happen now)

Later in 2020 I’m going to either Cuba or Vietnam with a friend from work. Making up for years when I couldn’t afford to travel.

Please
or

lassofthenorth · 01/10/2019 05:58

I am just about to book an apartment in Rome for five days followed by another one with a pool in Perugia for ten days relaxing.

Please
or

SooticaTheWitchesCat · 01/10/2019 11:31

We are going back to Turkey :)

Please
or

HappyHolidays75 · 01/10/2019 19:59

@PandaTurtle can you share a rough plan?
I'm toying with Thailand or Malaysia (Went to Borneo 2 years ago - loved it) but not sure about best places for July/August.

Please
or

PandaTurtle · 01/10/2019 21:47

Happy Not 100% finalised yet but Thailand we are just staying overnight in Bangkok as fly into there (we aren't city people) then going up to the River Kwai area - round there is enough for a few days and a very safe area. There's WW2 history things / bridge, zipline, canoeing, bamboo rafting etc, Mon people. We are staying at Hotel Phutoey there were the zipline is and canoeing, hot springs and pool. Then onto Borneo going to see probiscus monkey, orangutan and sun bear sanctuaries and kinabatagan river safaris where should be lots of wildlife.

Then we go onto Malaysia for a week - I'm still researching this but kids love animals and are keen on seeing turtle releases and baby sharks. It looks like good places for that are islands off east coast if you want snorkelling as well so places like Tioman, Redang island, Lang Tengah. Though on the mainland also come across Cherating which has two turtle sanctuaries which release baby turtles - I like this one best:

rimbundahanturtle.org

Quite sad the man who ran it and saved thousands of turtles died unexpectedly a couple of years after starting it. On some of the islands if you go on the hotels own websites you can get packages including full board and snorkelling though depends what you want as can just add things as you are there. Do need to watch the ferries over though as some are not as set times and some are one a day. Cataferry looks best one to Tioman. Lang Tengah seemed to have a set time of 10am which is easier to plan around. Tioman is closer to Singapore than KL though, nearest airport is in Malaysia. Islands on east coast are good for snorkelling / scuba etc (been told by a Malaysian east coast islands are the only place good for snorkelling on peninsula) and you can see things like turtles and baby sharks. Safe type of shark.

Thailand I couldn't find enough for us for 2 weeks in August (partly due to weather, some resort are very party like and as my kids just like animals and activities rather than history or beaches) but Koh Samui and Chaing Mai are supposed to be nice areas. Lots of elephant sanctuaries by Chaing Mai and historical buildings. I preferred the Malaysian islands to Koh Samui but depends what you are after. Malaysian ones generally have very little WIFI. Only booked flights and Thai and Borneo hotels so far.

Please
or

AnnaNimmity · 01/10/2019 21:49

My teens loved the US this summer. My 20 and 18 yos deigned to come!

We went to Indonesia a couple of years ago that went down well too.

Mine would like to go to Cuba next, but I think we'll go sailing next year- we've been a few years and we really missed it this year.

Please
or

albicocca · 01/10/2019 23:08

We have booked Slovenia for next August with a 17 and 14 year old in tow. Travelling about a bit but lots of activities including canyoning, rafting, ziplining, tobogganing, caves, lake swimming. All in stunning scenery I'm told! Can't wait.

Please
or

lj10m75 · 02/10/2019 02:52

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

PandaTurtle · 07/10/2019 15:51

We've gone for Bubbles Dive Resort in the Perhentians now which has turtle conservation project on site for our island part of holiday.

Please
or

missyB1 · 07/10/2019 15:53

We are off to South Africa in March, then Corfu in July.

Please
or

sansou · 08/10/2019 22:31

@albicocca
I'm looking at a fortnight in Slovenia too. I'm broadly considering an active week followed by a lazy week but there's information overload on where to base ourselves (family of 4 with DC 16 & 13). Are you planning to stay in multiple places?

Please
or

Skinnydogfatcat1 · 08/10/2019 22:43

Bangkok for 3 days then Khao Lak for 10 days. Booked some amazing accommodation. Flights not booked yet but will do that nearer the time.

Please
or

albicocca · 08/10/2019 22:54

@Samson
Our plan is 2 nights Ljubljana. 1 night Postojna to do the caves. 4 nights Bovec for rafting and ziplining. 9 nights Bled for mixture of chilling and more activities. Hopefully it will be the right mix!

Please
or

albicocca · 08/10/2019 22:55

That was supposed to be @sansou. Autocorrect. Agh.

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 09/10/2019 16:10

Lots of amazing holidays and ideas - thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

jadesamq · 10/10/2019 08:36

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?