Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Going to Disney on Thursday; last tips and advice please!

59 replies

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 16:29

Finally our holiday is arriving!!!

We (me, DH, 2yo DD, my mum & dad, my brother and my sister) are off to Florida this Thursday. We are staying pretty close to Disney in a big pool villa at Windsor Palms Resort. We have two cars booked. We have loads of pre-booked tickets (lots as each time we ordered some they gcve us free days!):

• 10 days of Disney (unlimited entrance into parks on those days)
  • 14 days of Universal
  • 1 day Sea World
  • 1 day Space Kennedy
  • 1 character breakfast at Disney (alreay booked)

DH would also like to get a round of golf in, but will have to hire clubs as we are not taking any with us. No one else but DH plays.

We know it is rainy season and are expecting hot, humid weather with storms each afternoon.

DD is now 90cm so just big enough for the first stage roller coasters, etc. Which she loves!!!

So, has anyone been? Can you give me all your hints, tips and advice? With regards to the flight and the holiday itself?

TIA!
OP posts:
Please
or

juniper68 · 08/08/2004 16:36

Hello!!! just got back at 6am this morning and just logged on, weird eh?

sounds like you're going to have lots of days filled. I bet it'll be great though going with your family.
The weather was very good IMO but some brits were moaning even though they sported tans??? We tended to go indoors when it rained or to eat.

When you go visit Walgreens pharmacy or Shoney's anywhere like that and use the discount coupons.
If you fancy an evening show the Wonderworks dinner show is really funny. You only get pizza and popcorn to eat but the drinks are a flowing and the beer isn't watered down

As for the parks, If you go to Animal Kingdom go early and get a fastpass for the Safari ride as the animals are awake. They sleep during the day. If I think of anything else I'll post.

Please
or

juniper68 · 08/08/2004 16:38

Oh and by the way guess who forgot our 10 day world tickets and just found them next to pooter mind you we would've been pushed to use them all and got a 6 + 3 park hopper plus which was ample.

Please
or

juniper68 · 08/08/2004 16:39

Sorry meant to say get the discount coupon books.

I'm back of for a nap as DH has just got up so he can watch the boys.

Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 16:40

Thanks Juniper Hope you all had a great time.

DD is really looking forward to Animal Kingdom.

OP posts:
Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 19:05

Bump - in case you have all come in from sunbathing; actually started raining here now!

OP posts:
Please
or

sammac · 08/08/2004 19:19

We found that it helped to have a fan/water mister thingy. You can buy them in Disney for about $17 dollars (probably get cheaper in Walgreens)Also get to the parks as early as you can and have an idea of where you want to go. You can spend ages walking back and fro to get to the places instead of being more 'logical' about it. If you're taking the buggy put big bottle water for drinking under as you get really dehydrated easily.

And almost forgot- do you know about the babyswap tickets. For the rides that dd can't go on, so that you don't miss out, ask for a baby swap ticket. This means that you( and most of your party) don't have to queue up for ages- almost like a personal fast pass. Dh would go on with dd and the others while I waited(in the shade/shop) He would come back, give me the ticket, take ds and we would ALL go back. So they got 2 shots and I still got a turn. In some of the rides, especially at Islands of Adventure, we reckoned we could have had loads of turns as they kept changing the people.

We found it a long flight for ds(2.8)despite the goodie bags etc. Coming back was much easier.

Please
or

joanneg · 08/08/2004 19:28

Hulababy the best advice I can offer is TAKE ME WITH YOU PLLLEEEEAASSSE! I will babysit and carry your luggage for you!? Oh, go on!

Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 19:59

LOL Joanne - I think our new case is big enough to fit someone inside; DD has already tried

OP posts:
Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 20:02

Cheers Sammac. I must remember to make the most of both Fast Pass and Baby Switch! Also I am sure they had some of those water/fan things in Boots - might buy some in advance tomorrow.

Flight is bit I am dreadig most. DD has a travel bag packed with various activities/toys, snacks and juice. And I am trying to persuade my brother to take a portable DVD thing - then she could watch her Barney DVD for a good hour! Hopefully she will sleep some of the time too.

OP posts:
Please
or

sammac · 08/08/2004 20:05

Ohh and take an extra case for all the stuff you'll bring back, obviously the one with joanne in it

Please
or

sammac · 08/08/2004 20:06

Have you got a book about disney for kids- if not I can send you one. Loads of good tips.

Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 20:07

That'd be lovely if you could - but would it arrive in time? I leave on Wednesday afternoon?

If not - where can I get one?

OP posts:
Please
or

sammac · 08/08/2004 20:12

I can send it first class tomorrow, just looked it out. And nd also just remembered, disney do the cutest towels, the ones like ponchos, which you've got to buy. We got pooh and tigger and spiderman. They also do mickey/minnie- they are beyond cuteness, your dd will love them. So don't take a beach type towel for her. If you cat me with your addy I'll send it asap

Please
or

KangaMummy · 08/08/2004 20:13

wrap up small toys, books in wrapping paper and give out spaced out through flight.

We have used comics as it doesn't matter if the get lost they have lots of pictures etc or games for older children

Have fab time

Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 20:15

That's brilliant. I will CAT now, or - maybe quicker if you e-mail me at: claireandrich(at)beeb(dot)net

The poncho towels sound fab. DD has a cheap mermaid version we use for simming but she'd much prefer a Mickie one! She also wants a princess dress. I think I am going to need so much spending money!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 20:16

I didn't think to wrap toys up - they are just in bag at moment. Thanks for tip!

OP posts:
Please
or

sammac · 08/08/2004 20:16

mailed u x

Please
or

discoinferno · 08/08/2004 20:18

Don't just put one layer of wrapping paper on them put a few like in pass the parcel. We did this on a long haul and it takes up an extra 5-10 mins which is brilliant. Have a great hol.

Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 20:19

Have sent you CAT too but once I get e-mail I will reply there as well.

OP posts:
Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 20:43

sammac - have replied to e-mail and sent address

OP posts:
Please
or

sammac · 08/08/2004 20:53

Got it, and mailed u

Please
or

melsy · 08/08/2004 20:58

Hi Hula havent spoken for ages, have you been before ??? I used to be castmember and have been many times to Disney going back to 1982 !!! Some tips below , but theres probably more!!!!

Make sure you know were all the softplay/ fun play areas are so dd can let of steam during the day if in a buggy alot.

Theres a fab place to go in Orlando called Rosiogradys bar at church street station , its like an old fashioned cowboy town with a mile long bar at rosio gradys lots of fun for all of you. theres somewere there you can watch toffee fudge being made in a kitchen with huge glass windows.

OHMYGAWD It should be faberooooney.Soz just getting sooooooo excited !!!!!!!! Im going to disney paris on Sunday. Cant wait till dd is old enough for disney florida. Havent been for some time to WDW.

Make sure you get the monerail right round the WDW grounds as its great to see it all & also go thorugh the contemporary hotel which is a bit of cult dsiney hotel.

Also a good way to start the 1st day at the Magic Kingdom is to go on the train that cirlces the whole place. I advise starting at the opposite end of the park to main street and get there on the train. That way dd sees a bit of the park and also it will be quieter at the other end so less queing for rides AND always go on its small world 1st !!!

In Epcot if you want to book restaurants , do that when you 1st arrive in the morning, there used to be video monitors to do it on right near the geosphere, the castmember can see you and you cans see them on a screen.

Roughly plan which parks you will do each day , and make sure you have a hotel day in between each to rest. Also get a good idea of all the rides in each park and which ones are suitable for DD, you dont want to miss rides , as you can get overwehlmed with it all when there.

Ill probably be back with moe soon !!!!!

Please
or

Hulababy · 08/08/2004 21:08

Cheers for all that Melsy Can't believe you were a cast memeber - wow!!!

I am going to print all this thread out on Wednesday morning to take with me - going to use flight time to make some plans!

Me and DH (and DD) hven't been before - although been to DLP last year for 2 days when DD was 18 months. My parents, brother and sister have been before though.

So excited you wouldn't believe.

OP posts:
Please
or

juniper68 · 08/08/2004 21:41

Glad you're getting some more advice. We bought the misty fan things from disney but they both broke within the day. Maybe it was just bad luck? as we saw lots of people using them. you can get them in Bargain world and such like for approx. $6.99 but they aren't disney.

BTW I brought most of the leaflets for the parks if you want them? You could maybe bring me them back if you remember but it wouldn't matter if you forgot? I brought them back for a mate who isn't going til next May but she isn't expecting them. Email me through here if you want them.

Melsy, how fantastic being a cast member!!! I was talking to a guy in England/world showcase who'd just arrived for a year, he was so happy. I agree with booking for meals at Epcot, I loved Morocco for lunch and the waiters are soooooooo delish I kept ordering stuff just for the hell of it Mind you the most beautiful belly dancer came out to put me right in the shade lol

Please
or

juniper68 · 08/08/2004 21:43

I just booked the Epcot meals at Guest relations. If you do go to Morocco btw please apologise for my drooling

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?