Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Panic time.. no summer hol booked.. HELP!!!

27 replies

unicorn · 30/05/2004 15:32

Don't know what to do... want to get away in August (hahahahahah).. for at least a week... not too far (France/Brittany poss?).. not too expensive (got to be much less than a thousand - or dh says no way)...
2 adults + 2 kids (5+2)near beach... self catering probably....
Anybody just booked anything that still has places???

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 30/05/2004 16:05

Have a look at this one , unicorn - was tempted myself - it says it's free the middle of Aug and the very last week. (Quite a way south though.)

If that's too far, go back to the regional page and have a look at Brittany/Normandy/ Western Loire.

Please
or

popsycal · 30/05/2004 16:06

unicorn - this is me too!!

Please
or

Janh · 30/05/2004 16:11

Or this one in Deauville? 5 mins from the beach - Deauville is lovely!

"8 people the property sleeps" - obviously belongs to Yoda!

Please
or

unicorn · 30/05/2004 16:16

ooo thanks.. will check them out...quite fancy nr St Malo... great beach there isn't there?

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 30/05/2004 16:19

Near St Malo - walk to beach! £340 a week!

Please
or

popsycal · 30/05/2004 16:31

wow!!!
ok google queen
now find us some flights....

Please
or

unicorn · 30/05/2004 16:41

cor she's a bit good!!!!.(travel agent?). ferry will do it popsycal... see you there!!!..

OP posts:
Please
or

littlemissbossy · 30/05/2004 17:14

Keycamp have still got availability for August in Brittany and Normandy if you want to camp/mobile home it?? Cost includes a midweek ferry crossing and all the facilities on the site, including kids club for your 5 year old, www.keycamp.co.uk

Please
or

unicorn · 30/05/2004 17:18

LMB brill! You lot may just save my bacon.+ get us a family holiday after all..

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 30/05/2004 20:04

Keycamp & co are v dear in August though, unicorn. I just tried a hypothetical booking for a site near St Malo in August, and the best it could do was 8 nights in a mobile home (18/8 - 26/8), nearly £1200.

You can get a weekend crossing with speedferries for £120 at the moment (the later you leave it the more it costs.) You will probably be better off (financially!) doing it independently.

Please
or

unicorn · 30/05/2004 21:47

where are you off to janh.?. seems like you have well researched the market!

OP posts:
Please
or

unicorn · 30/05/2004 21:55

that's a cheap ferry.. but how long a drive from boulogne to either St Malo or Deauville?

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 30/05/2004 22:14

We are going to Spain in Oct unicorn, but after Countess Dracula linked to the French site a few weeks ago (before we booked Spain) I spent ages checking them out and looking at ferries!

Am quite tempted by the Deauville one for next summer...we have had a few hols in the past at Houlgate, just up the coast, it's not a bad drive from Boulogne. St Malo is further. Have a look at this for different routes and fares.

Please
or

unicorn · 30/05/2004 22:25

thanks again..janh .. what a fab resource you are!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

unicorn · 01/06/2004 08:23

popsycal...
just checked out the lovely deauville property... but afraid the cost is 1400 euro's... so bit too dear for us.. (it's in the extra info re rental fees)
you had any joy yet??

OP posts:
Please
or

Janh · 01/06/2004 09:57

unicorn, I am sorry, I didn't spot that at all. Dunno why they couldn't put it in a table like everybody else.

Anyway there are lots more, have a rummage!

Please
or

Janh · 01/06/2004 10:02

This one's in Honfleur - not a beach but a lovely harbour, 4 mins walk. £591 in Aug. (880 euros).

Please
or

Janh · 01/06/2004 10:12

You could also try French Connections although it's not nearly as easy to use and has no availability charts (but there is a late availability search function).

Please
or

Piffleoffagus · 01/06/2004 10:13

we did a last minute one with Eurocamp couple of yrs ago in Britanny, was excellent deal...

Please
or

unicorn · 05/07/2004 01:56

OK we still have NO holiday booked.... sorry all (esp janh who's travel superstar)but the pals we were planning to go with can't do it (no money)
So... what on earth are we to do.?
I'm thinking this country now - short breaks (cheap!!)
Anyone come across any mega cheap self catering/caravan/holiday park deals?
Or anything at all? < not that I am panicking or anything!!>

OP posts:
Please
or

crunchie · 05/07/2004 19:28

Unicoen the best cheapest camping in France I found was via Leisure Direction. If you do a google search for cheap camping or I think www.leisuredirection.co.uk All the camping holidays are in fact Keycamp ones, but they don't advertise that. Some you could name a region but not a site which makes it cheaper again. Or try Cornwall campsite that offer Mobile homes. Loads of smaller site do offer them, I am looking at Trewince farm (not got website details to hand) they may have availablity. The other place to try is Teletext holidays, they always seem to have loads of stuff in mobiles/eurotents in Cornwall. Good Luck

Please
or

crunchie · 05/07/2004 19:50

try www.johnfowlerholidays.com By calling them I was offered a 4 - 6 berth mobile or 'cottage' at £595 for the w/c 7th August. There is stuff out there

Please
or

unicorn · 05/07/2004 19:56

Brilliant.. thanks crunchie...dh will have no excuses if i can come up with a good price!!

OP posts:
Please
or

unicorn · 05/07/2004 20:04

hmm... this country or France?
not much diff in price (even with ferry added on)
I am leaning back towards France again! (but kids aren't v good travellers.)
what would you do?

OP posts:
Please
or

crunchie · 06/07/2004 13:36

Where do you live?

That can dictate the best place for you. I would lean towards France, we went at half term, but we are actually doing Cornwall in the summer. We have our own tent so I think we will be paying around £20 a night for a holiday (£140 a week) but our equipment probably cost around £400 in total (last year) so we will be better off long term, but it cost lots last year.

Check out if there are any vacancies in Brittany or Northern France otherwise the drive can be a pig.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?