Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Heading towards 4th year or post grad/jobs

Xenia · 02/07/2020 21:26

Continuation of the previous thread for those of us with children who are just finishing their 3rd year at university (so either "graduating" in 2020 or going into year 4 in Autumn 2020)..........

My twins' degree results will be out in late July. Good luck to everyone else waiting for finals results.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Horsemad · 02/07/2020 22:45

Placemarking! 🙂

Please
or

Eve · 03/07/2020 07:52

DS1 into final year and DS2 starting- both at same uni.

Please
or

Xenia · 03/07/2020 08:20

Ah Even, similar to my having twins both at Bristol. At least it makes the driving and visits easier and sometimes although mine are very different they have found it useful to have a sibling in the same place.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HarrietWimsey · 03/07/2020 08:21

I know I'm 'newish' to this thread but I hope it's ok to be still be involved. DS going in to fourth year/Masters so hasn't had the upset of a missed graduation but has had a strange third year with strikes, online exams and sudden break with accommodation/friends etc just before Easter. Facing a long summer at home as internship now not forthcoming but has found other ways to keep busy, e.g. online courses and prep for final year.

Please
or

Stopyourhavering64 · 03/07/2020 08:28

Ds has 1 yr left as at Uni in Scotland, so now has his dissertation ahead of him...had to change subject field due to coronavirus mucking up his fieldwork options- his field trip to Iceland in May was cancelled ....but still contemplating MSc afterwards at Uni closer to home....his degree is environmental science based so is looking ahead to possibility of doing consultancy work in future

Please
or

goodbyestranger · 03/07/2020 09:02

DS4 stayed up in Durham for the duration and took his exams there, but now home. Results due on July 15th then due to start a PhD in Oxford, doing medical research. Hotel in Durham moved my non refundable two nights for his original graduation date (which would have been today) forward to the new graduation date in April next year and gave me an extra night free because I kept my money in the hotel rather than asking for a refund (which they offered universally, regardless of booking conditions). It's the main old hotel in the city, but incredibly friendly and hugely reliant on university business - anyhow, works for me :)

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 03/07/2020 09:04

Found you all! yes, of course you're welcome, Harriet (your name keeps reminding me I ought to do some re-reading Grin)

I delivered DD her mug of black coffee at 8:30 - this fluid will magically transform a tousled child into a serious engineer who I expect to see hard at work when I go up to the office in a few minutes. DH has nobly turned over his desk, good chair and big monitor to her.

It looks like she and her pals have found a house to rent for next year - they had a virtual tour, have 'first refusal' on it so just need to check there's nothing amiss with the tenancy agreement. She seems happier to have that more or less settled. Meanwhile, I think her BF is planning on finding an AirB&B or suchlike to stay in for his internship which starts next month - I think they're hoping she can decamp there too if it's got good enough internet etc for her to work from.

It's a shame about the weather - we'd wanted to take them on lots of interesting walks up here but have only managed a few of the nearer ones. Oh well... the hills aren't going anywhere.

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 03/07/2020 09:07

That's good about the hotel, goodbye - the right way to do it, though probably not financially feasible for larger chains and smaller single hotels.

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 03/07/2020 10:24

@goodbyestranger I think we’ve stayed in that hotel!

DD is now in their new house in Bristol - applying for internships and other jobs, but has saved some money from last term...

Please
or

ClerkMaxwell · 03/07/2020 12:31

DS2 has another year left (Scottish uni). He's also had his field trip cancelled in April and had to switch dissertation topic. Been working full time in his supermarket job since lockdown so had managed to save. Planning to blow it on a boys road trip to the US after graduation next year. He's thinking of doing a secondary PGDE but might need to work for a year to get enough experience to apply. He'd planned to get shadowing experience this summer but this won't be possible.

Please
or

Xenia · 03/07/2020 12:47

I am glad they are all sorting out what they are doing etc. (Yes of course Harriet can "join" - anyone is welcome).

As anyone on the last thread will have seen I have one Bristol twin going back to Bristol in September for a law conversion course and the other Bristol twin (who I suppose is now not a Bristol twin as has left) doing the same course in London and will be living at home in London. The former just helped me put in my first replacement fence panel but despite being the right size (6 foot) is a bit too big. May be the concrete has moved at the top. I probably will have to saw them all down somehow which is annoying and perhaps a job for another day. These DIY jobs are never as simple as you think. 5 foot would be far too small as I found when turning the 6 x5 to be 5 x 6. It is not helped by that twin never liking to get his hands dirty whereas his twin since birth has loved messing around in mud and helping in the garden but he is staying with his girl friend for at least another week. We tried the fence gap furthers away from neighbours in bushes as otherwise I can just see all the elderly neighbours coming out to watch us make a mess of it as there is not much else going on at present. At least our failure was not a public one.

No response from the graduation hotel £600 booking email. I might try in a week what I did with my summer holiday booking for 11 the holiday company cancelled - I wrote a legal letter to the head office and they did a full refund.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BestIsWest · 03/07/2020 12:57

Just marking place.

Please
or

ono40 · 03/07/2020 16:59

Hello all. Sorry to hear about job offers being rescinded. DH works for a magic circle law firm (in IT) and said it was paying some of its grads a big chunk of money NOT to start this year! Who wouldn't want to be paid for not working.

Ds' girlfriend had secured a place on a research masters course but this has been pulled as most funding for medical research is going to Covid.

Please
or

Haffdonga · 03/07/2020 20:43

Hello. Great to see familiar 'faces' Smile

DS has just got back from a week at uni with all his friends. Everyone was back at the same time to move house at the end of June and it sounds like a lot of fun was had in various parks, gardens, rivers and lakes. DS admitted that perhaps the social distancing decreased as the alcohol intake increased so we have cancelled our plans to meet up with the grandparents on Saturday - just cant risk it.

He has a nicer, more grown up house next year with 2 (female) postgrads, so they're a bit older than him. Apparently they cooked for him both the nights he was there We've discussed how essential it is for him to reciprocate as soon as possible. No 'mothering' nonsense allowed!

Please
or

Xenia · 03/07/2020 21:13

I remember over 10 years ago my daughter's friend was offered a paid for masters and delaying her law firm TC a year or starting right away - she started right away but some took the other option - that was probably after the 2008 credit crunch period when things were bad.

OP's posts:
Please
or

olliepolly · 03/07/2020 21:38

Hi all, I am an infrequent poster. DD1 has decided to intercalate so adds another year to her vet course , she has just completed year 3. Another 3 to go.She has had several clinical placements cancel on her this summer . DD 2 had a weird year 1 in Bristol, badly strike affected then Covid. In spite of this she has a decent group of friends from her floor in halls. We opted for a 2 hour slot to empty her room on Friday and in spite of the 300 mile journey all went well and we moved her stuff straight into her new house which quite helpfully was really close to the old halls. We needed to somehow have an overnight stay and managed in spite of it being a few days before everything reopens.

Please
or

SMaCM · 04/07/2020 08:55

DD is still working on her belated coursework, but has also applied for a Masters. We're taking this as a positive that she is expecting to finish her 3rd year.

She has been planning a mini 21st birthday Reading festival camp out in our back garden with 5 friends. The neighbours have been warned.

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 04/07/2020 09:04

Glad to hear she's set on finishing and planning for the next step. And the 'festival' sounds like a great idea!

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 04/07/2020 10:52

@Haffdonga, sounds like your DS has lucked out Grin Or they may be vying for his attentions? Wink

@SMaCM, glad your DD looks set to finish and start Masters - festival sounds a great celebration! My DD will be 21 in 3 weeks - we are going to visit her on Bristol to celebrate before - not sure she has made party plans yet!

@olliepolly, sorry your DD2 has had a messed up first year - DD is also at Bristol and the strike affected her very badly in terms of teaching and support AngrySad

Please
or

IrmaFayLear · 04/07/2020 16:21

Ds and his friend have gone for a “scenic drive” . Really living the life there at 21!

I think ds will struggle to find a job. Even his friend who was joining the police post graduate has had his place postponed. I thought we were in need of more police Confused

Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 04/07/2020 16:28

Even his friend who was joining the police post graduate has had his place postponed. I thought we were in need of more police

There's some sort of police training place near us, when we passed it a few weeks ago the legend on google maps said it was currently closed. Maybe that's the holdup, if their training is shut at the moment?

Please
or

Horsemad · 04/07/2020 16:35

Someone I know was sworn in to the police service just last week. His application started a long time back but was delayed due to him needing surgery and recuperation.

Please
or

BackforGood · 04/07/2020 22:35

Yes, Police recruitment takes months - even into years. Someone I know was accepted well over a year ago and is still waiting for his 'intake'.

Just joining thread as dd1 has just finished. Don't even know if I can say 'graduated' as they are presumably still 'graduands' (?) until something is arranged for their Graduation ceremonies ??

Have any universities hinted there may be replacement ceremonies in the Spring ? They've missed all their balls and the sports and society dinner and awards... the 'Varsities'... and so forth. I do hope they do something for Graduation once we are allowed to meet in large groups again.

Please
or

goodbyestranger · 04/07/2020 23:10

Durham has named the week of the graduation for this year's students, it's in April in the Cathedral as usual.

Please
or

BackforGood · 04/07/2020 23:49

Oh that's good Smile

As long as large gatherings are allowed, it does seem feasible to hold the ceremonies then. the gown hire and photography companies will want to recoup this year's losses, and I presume (?) the organisation of the graduation ceremonies is something that can be copied year to year so could be set up for any date the buildings are available.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.