My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

General health

I've got a lump...

199 replies

sb34 · 27/01/2004 15:36

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
lilibet · 27/01/2004 23:04

oh sb, nothing to add just wanted to say that I will be praying for you and cyber hugging you!
xxx

saintshar · 27/01/2004 23:09

Thinking of you. Talk about kicking someone when they are down....

ks · 27/01/2004 23:10

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

sb34 · 28/01/2004 00:05

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
LJsmum · 28/01/2004 00:48

sb34, my right breast is slightly bigger than my other one too... apparently is quite normal to have one side slightly bigger than the other - like feet I guess.

A few years ago I experienced breast pain and lumpiness on one side, but it turned out to be nothing serious... fibrocystic breast disease and similar conditions are quite common. I also noticed that when I reduced my intake of caffeine, things improved quite significantly - there can be any number of causes. I know how scary it must be but your chances are very good that it's nothing major. Hope all goes well for you.

expatkat · 28/01/2004 02:23

sb34
I worked for a breast cancer surgeon. Each day the waiting room was packed with women, all of them terribly anxious. Only a small percentage of them actually had cancer. I, myself, have had lumps investigated twice and both times they were just cysts.

I don't want to falsely reassure you because that would be irresponsible as I'm not an MD. But I can say that whenever a patient expressed concern that that her problem would worsen in the time she had to wait for an appointment, we were instructed to tell the patient that "changes just don't happen that quickly." So I'll pass that info on to you now.

We all have that feeling of guilt that we should have gone to the doctor sooner, but the fact is you felt the lump YESTERDAY. And the tenderness could have been due to anything; I would have ignored it too (& have). Try not to worry & try to focus on something else that will alllow you not to think about this. Expat x

sb34 · 28/01/2004 08:29

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
aloha · 28/01/2004 09:08

AussieSim, I don't know if it will reassure you to know that having a grandmother who had breast cancer in her 60s does not put you at any greater risk of having breast cancer than anyone else. It certainly does NOT put you in a high risk category. Only about 5% of breast cancers are caused by an inherited gene and the key risk factor is two or more close relatives, at least one of which had breast cancer very young - under 40. There are other indicators but even several relatives who had breast cancer after 50 does not mean you are at any increased risk.

aloha · 28/01/2004 09:15

AussieSim, I don't know if it will reassure you to know that having a grandmother who had breast cancer in her 60s does not put you at any greater risk of having breast cancer than anyone else. It certainly does NOT put you in a high risk category. Only about 5% of breast cancers are caused by an inherited gene and the key risk factor is two or more close relatives, at least one of which had breast cancer very young - under 40. There are other indicators but even several relatives who had breast cancer after 50 does not mean you are at any increased risk.

Batters · 28/01/2004 09:48

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sb34 · 28/01/2004 15:54

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
StressyHead · 28/01/2004 17:34

message withdrawn

sb34 · 28/01/2004 17:48

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
Twink · 28/01/2004 18:12

sb you are one of the strongest people I 'know', you have been amazing over the last 3 months.

This latest blow is trying to pull the rug out from under you but you WILL come through it (whatever 'it' turns out to be) and everyone here is really routing for you and praying and/or sending positive vibes.

I really should leave these wordy things to people who can use them properly but I hope you understand what I mean.

xxx

suzywong · 28/01/2004 18:14

Twink
you say it perfectly
Hear hear

sb34 · 28/01/2004 19:35

Message withdrawn

OP posts:
sunchowder · 29/01/2004 00:03

SB just read this. So sorry for you. I can't imagine you going through this now on top of everything else. It is so upsetting, you can't minimize it until you get the results. It might be that your feelings are so much more intense now that you feel you are handling this "alone", the little voice in your head that says the person that was supposed to be there at your side to give you support through these kind of things is gone (whether that is physical or emotionalit hurts just the same). Try to see if you can identify that in yourself, I know this feeling SB. I have spent time crying and shaking about this myself after my first divorce. I did come to know that I had the ability to squash the romantic notion that "he" would somehow be taking care of me as I faced my own health issues, death of my mother, etc.... Maybe I am assuming alot here in that I think everyone must feel the same way that I did, and I might be totally off the mark. You are incredibly brave and strong, I wish there was something I could do or say to bring you some comfort. Everyone here is so supportive and we will all be here for you to keep you company, okay? Please email me if you like..I hope I haven't upset you more, I always felt better when I faced my sadness dead on and I would never want to upset you further or give you the most terrible advice. It is possible to make sense of this and be able to grieve. Eventually those "healthy" feelings that we can and are able to support ourselves will be felt againbelieve that. It is icing on the cake if we have the extra support, but who needs the icing if you have great cake? Sending you love and healing thoughts.

Girly · 29/01/2004 09:43

So sorry sb, this is the last thing you need now, i have no experience of lumps but did have to have a suspicious mole removed from my neck, which turned out to be benign so can empathise with you.

I remember vividly my legs turning to jelly when i went to the hosp thinking they would send me away saying it was nothing and when that did not happen i too felt sick

The thing that helped me through was accepting that it was a difficult time and to give myself a break, once this happened i sort of just got on with it.

You are amazing, i greatly admire your strength and you CAN deal with this and if you need any moral support just email me, if you have messenger then we can chat on that if you like.

Twinkie · 29/01/2004 09:55

God Honey - I am so sorry I did not see this before.

Not sure what to say - you just have to plod along I am afraid - you don't have a choice at the moment with all that is going on with X2b (ha ha that is what he is you know) and DS and DD.

If you need anything, just to chat or want to come over you just give me a ring - I am about for the next few days - then back to work for a few days next week.

I have learnt fromthe past year that no matter how bad things get we can cope and nothing would get thrown at you that you could not cope with - you have become such an inspiration - from the sad little mouse I first met to the strong coping woman you are today.

Sending you a big big hug ()

WSM · 29/01/2004 10:19

Oh sb .

I've also read stuff that agrees with most of the posts here re the number of malignant lumps found in younger women. That said though, you must be terrified. Please try to keep calm (not easy, I know) until you know what you are dealing with. Over-stressing won't help your health, whatever the outcome of your appt at the hospital.

Big hugs
WSM
xxx

miriamw · 29/01/2004 10:30

SB, sorry that you're going through this as well as everything else. I know how hard it must be to wait - even for just 2 weeks.

Do you have BUPA/PPP at all? Even if it is through X2b I have found that you can phone the BUPA helpline to check entitlement - you don't have to go through X2b if you see what I mean.

SenoraPostrophe · 29/01/2004 10:45

Oh SB - you must be beside yourself (I know I would be). Hope your sensible side manages to take over for at least part of these two weeks (I'm sure she is right and that's it's nothing to worry about)

Thinking of you.

WideWebWitch · 29/01/2004 22:28

I've only just seen this, thinking of you too and hoping this is nothing.

lavender1 · 29/01/2004 23:08

don't have anything sensible to say, but will be thinking about you.

Lavxxx

berries · 30/01/2004 09:42

SB - I had exactly the same symptoms about 3 years ago. It started off with breast pain in the left side, which was 'off & on' for a while. Then I noticed it hurt if I lay on that side at night. I did ignore it for a while (2 little kids, job, etc) but then found a lump & went to the docs. It turned out to be non-infected mastitis, youngest dd was about 3 at the time, so hadn't breast fed for 2.5 years, but apparently it's not that uncommon for the 'tubes' not to clear properly (yuk). Anyway, the treatment was massively high doses of evening primrose oil (2000mg if I remember correctly) for about 3 months. Started to see an improvement after about 1 month. You could probably take these as well if you wanted - won;t do any harm. I'm sure it's probably nothing, but can appreciate how frightening it is, I remember the feeling well. Take care.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.