My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Films

Books that just didn't work as films......

155 replies

fifteenmillionmerits · 19/10/2021 01:45

The Hobbit was a book I loved as a child. When Jackson made the film, it just didn't do it justice IMO. Overused CGI, long dragging scenes...we gave up after the first hour and that was that.

OP posts:
donquixotedelamancha · 30/10/2021 01:34
  1. It's like no-one involved had even read Herodotus.
upinaballoon · 12/12/2021 16:38

@IpanemaPeaHen

Captain Corelli’s mandolin. I shall never get over that disappointment.

I read the book, had my picture of him in my mind, saw the trailer, nothing against Nicholas Cage, but knew that I wouldn't go to the film, and didn't.
colourmebladd · 16/12/2021 15:48

Cat in the Hat. I mean it’s literally one of the worst films ever made.

grey12 · 16/12/2021 16:57

"Hunger games" 🤦🏻‍♀️

NOT a pg13 book! They should have made an 18+ movie version alongside the commercial version and it would have been really cool. Not only the battle scenes but all the info about the dark sides of society was completely missing from the movies and made them so generic and empty.....

ArblemarzipanTFruitcake · 16/12/2021 17:05

Circle of Friends (Maeve Binchy) - left out most of the plot and changed the ending in a way that totally subverted the point of the original.

Also, the protagonist Benny was meant to be fat, or at least large enough to be nicknamed 'Big Ben' - so why get the very slim Minnie Driver in the role? If they wanted Minnie particularly they should at least have padded her out a bit!

ArblemarzipanTFruitcake · 16/12/2021 17:06

Children's - Mr Popper's Penguins was my favourite book when I was 6 and I still enjoy it now.

Film was absolute tosh.

Tianatiers · 22/12/2021 18:34

Both Eat, Pray, Love and One Day are not a patch on the books.

PS I Love You the film is nothing like the book but I enjoyed both!

KimikosNightmare · 27/12/2021 02:54

Every version of Wuthering Heights

Olivier was far too old and wooden.

The Juliette Binoche version ,complete with Binoche's French accent and Sinead O' Connor moping around was risible as Tom Hardy's wig in the 2009 version.

KimikosNightmare · 27/12/2021 03:00

@chilling19

Stephen King - the only directors who should touch his books are Frank Darabont (The Green Mile, Shawshank), David Cronenburg (the Dead Zone), Tobe Hooper (Salem's Lot) and Rob Reiner (Stand by Me and Misery). The rest of the films are dire.

And Darabont for The Mist - that ending was truly shocking.
Holothane · 27/12/2021 04:49

The Physician fabulous book first read it 30 years ago.
Should be made into a 16 hours series to do it justice.

YourenutsmiLord · 27/12/2021 05:26

The Power of the Dog starring Benedict Cumberbatch - I listened to the story first. Very good. A film is not long enough to really involve you with the characters. If you haven't read the book I'd think it would be confusing to follow. And there seemed to be blasts of music between scenes - the director was Jane campion famed for the Piano. Montana scenery was great though.

covetingthepreciousthings · 27/12/2021 23:18

My Sisters Keeper.

They butchered the ending, I actually went to a Q & A evening with Jodi Picoult and her take on it was very sad to hear.
She talks about it here -

filmvsbook.blogspot.com/2012/03/jodi-picoult-on-my-sisters-keeper.html

user1471550643 · 27/12/2021 23:29

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans. The film had a completely different and very tame ending than the book . I was so disappointed.

BillMasheen · 27/12/2021 23:35

The Dark is Rising needs to be a series, each episode released on the right day, in real time over the Christmas period.

I do the online worldwide readathon of TDiR. There’s loads of interest, and the idea of a film that stays true to the book gets discussed every year. Lots of talk about casting. (Cristopher Ecclesone gets a lot of love for his part as The Rider, despite the crispness of the rest of it) Bet it would sell.

THEN they could do Over Sea, Under Stone and Grey King the following year (summer holidays and hallowe’en respectively) once it had developed a bit of interest. Silver on the Tree for the following Christmas.

C‘mon Netflix, Amazon. You KNOW you want to.

BillMasheen · 27/12/2021 23:35

Crispness =crapness DYAC

custardbear45 · 27/12/2021 23:38

The Lovely Bones didn't work for me at all. Loved the book but the film just wasn't what I'd pictured. I suppose it's very subjective book though, we all have different visions of heaven.

Bookworm65 · 27/12/2021 23:53

The Woman in Black - the one with Daniel
Radcliffe. Historically inaccurate and missed the whole point of the eponymous woman.

lightisnotwhite · 28/12/2021 00:35

@CassTheFox

I can see why Stephen King hated the Kubrick film of The Shining. I appreciate it as a stand-alone film but it does completely miss SO much of the book

I love Stephen King books and think a lot of the film adaptions lose much of the great things about the books.

Agreed. All Stephen King books have a sad and horrific subtle undertext. Always lost in the slasher films.
mewkins · 28/12/2021 00:36

@ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff

The Beach. Loved the book, was so excited (at the time) for the film to come out. There was no need to have the romance between Leo and the girl. Loved the book so much I forget her name haha. But yeah, hated the film so much. I just don't think the essence was captured at all.

The soundtrack is good though!
lightisnotwhite · 28/12/2021 00:41

@Bookworm65

The Woman in Black - the one with Daniel
Radcliffe. Historically inaccurate and missed the whole point of the eponymous woman.

I thought the film was suitably terrifying, I ‘ve seen the theatre version too- also scary.
Maybe the book was about something else but the mother and child bond came through in both stage and screen.
lightisnotwhite · 28/12/2021 00:46

Devil wears Prada

The book was fantastically accurate about work life balance. How much do you sell your soul for the dream career. In the book it was the real world of 14 plus hour days and unreasonable demands or the sack
The film was Anne Hathaway taking the piss out of Meryl Streep essentially. Yeah, no.

Hawkins001 · 28/12/2021 01:02

@jesusmaryjosephandtheweedonkey

Silence of the Lambs... can't get past the different ending

That where she joins him for dinner ?
Hawkins001 · 28/12/2021 01:16

@grey12

"Hunger games" 🤦🏻‍♀️

NOT a pg13 book! They should have made an 18+ movie version alongside the commercial version and it would have been really cool. Not only the battle scenes but all the info about the dark sides of society was completely missing from the movies and made them so generic and empty.....

When I tried to understand the games I was puzzled, what purpose did the games serve , and why did the capital allow them ?
ShitRunAway · 28/12/2021 01:25

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. The 1971 version. Apparently even Roald Dahl would change the channel if it was on.

Skeumorph · 28/12/2021 01:29

@Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies

The Dark is Rising. An absolute travesty.

And I still think it could be a good film.

YES. Incredible that that hasn’t been redone!

Atonement didn’t work at all for me. The book just had too much in it I guess.
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.