My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Films

Books that just didn't work as films......

155 replies

fifteenmillionmerits · 19/10/2021 01:45

The Hobbit was a book I loved as a child. When Jackson made the film, it just didn't do it justice IMO. Overused CGI, long dragging scenes...we gave up after the first hour and that was that.

OP posts:
CoronaPeroni · 19/10/2021 18:40

Catch-22 was one of my favourite books in the 70s. It was impossible to film due to the chronology of the book and the result was dire.

mum2jakie · 19/10/2021 18:40

@ChequerBoard

The Girl on the Train.

Ok so it's not highbrow literature, but that book should have made a great film - it reads like a movie.

The film that was made was really awful. Even Emily Blunt couldn't save it. I think it just didn't work being set in the USA plus the script tried to make a big action/drama when really it wasn't about who killed Megan at all.

Agree. Book was great but film was shit!
LanisHouseLot · 19/10/2021 18:44

I Capture the Castle. I hadn't even realised there was a film until I stumbled across it online a couple of months ago - felt so rushed as if it just clumsily bumped over the main events of the book. Really disappointing.

Not a film, but the new TV series of The Pursuit of Love - gave up after the first episode as it just felt all wrong.

I don't let my children watch the film of anything until we've read the book first, much to their annoyance. It's the only way to properly appreciate the book (or know if the film is really any good)!

User27569 · 19/10/2021 18:45

The Time Traveller's Wife. Utterly dreadful film and I usually adore Rachel McAdams. Eric Bana was dreadful and the script was dire.

Lunaballoon · 19/10/2021 18:46

@IpanemaPeaHen

Captain Corelli’s mandolin. I shall never get over that disappointment.

I deliberately avoided the film. I just knew it could never evoke the wonderful characters and story in the book. Nicolas Cage? What were they thinking?
checkoutchick22 · 19/10/2021 18:47

@AllThingsServeTheBeam

Gunslinger by Stephen King. Absolute tosh.

Couldn't agree more
RealHousewifeOfEastLondon · 19/10/2021 18:49

Came here to say The Beach too. You took the words out of my mouth @ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff. Such a let down and makes me angry when I watch it!

Uptoongirl · 19/10/2021 18:52

@AllThingsServeTheBeam I came on to say Gunslinger - needs a decent budget series.

Actually almost all of Stephen King's books bar a few.

I agree The Hobbit doesn't work as a film although the LOTR films are amazing.

MarleneDietrichsSmile · 19/10/2021 18:52

Yes, the little women movie

To be honest, it could never work as a movie, unless you just film the first book

The part where Laurie ends up with Amy was book 2, a book Louisa May Alcott wrote as a kind of revenge to all the daft sods who liked her first book

She never wanted to write Little Women, she called it “moral pap for the young” and when pushed by the publisher to write a oart2 (and 3 and 4) she punished the fans by pairing Laurie with vain and shallow Amy (and Jo with boring old professor Bear)

That’s why it can never work as a movie Grin

They tried to make Amy nicer, and Prof Bear sexy… not true to the book

IsThisNameTaken · 19/10/2021 18:53

@ButYouGottaHaveASkillJeff

The Beach. Loved the book, was so excited (at the time) for the film to come out. There was no need to have the romance between Leo and the girl. Loved the book so much I forget her name haha. But yeah, hated the film so much. I just don't think the essence was captured at all.

Exactly what I came on here to say!
TheQueenOfDreams · 19/10/2021 18:55

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I don’t even know why anyone bothered to attempt to televise it or make a film of it. You just can’t.

KimDeals · 19/10/2021 18:55

War Horse. I know it’s a “youth” book, but it has a weight and sensitivity that is remarkable. The film misses it altogether. So disappointing.

PyjamaMamma · 19/10/2021 18:58

Queen of the damned Blush - I loved the Lestat books as a teenager but this film is just incomprehensible and nothing like the book. Stuart Townsend’s Lestat is meh. Not masterpiece literature to begin with but they managed to ruin it.

pickingdaisies · 19/10/2021 18:58

Dune. Not the new one, I'm hoping it will be an improvement (low bar though)

Rogue1001 · 19/10/2021 18:59

@User27569

The Time Traveller's Wife. Utterly dreadful film and I usually adore Rachel McAdams. Eric Bana was dreadful and the script was dire.

I came on to say this and wondered if anyone would have got there first
LetHimHaveIt · 19/10/2021 18:59

Florence Pugh was 22 when she made 'Little Women'. I thought she was extremely good.

'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' was bloody awful, but I didn't care for the book so I didn't have huge expectations.

NatMoz · 19/10/2021 19:00

The Jack Reacher films but just because the books suggest Jack Reacher is 6 foot 5 and a completely strapping army man.

Tom Cruise on the other hand is a weedy dweeb

Toomuchtrouble4me · 19/10/2021 19:01

Kite Runner - beautiful book, absolutely shite film.

Badbadbunny · 19/10/2021 19:01

@NatMoz

The Jack Reacher films but just because the books suggest Jack Reacher is 6 foot 5 and a completely strapping army man.

I was just about to post about the travesty of the Jack Reacher films. Truly awful and nothing like the books at all.
Toomuchtrouble4me · 19/10/2021 19:02

@KimDeals

War Horse. I know it’s a “youth” book, but it has a weight and sensitivity that is remarkable. The film misses it altogether. So disappointing.

The theatre production however, at the National was stunning.
AllThingsServeTheBeam · 19/10/2021 19:02

Oh god yes! Of course! How did I forget about Jack Reacher

DockOTheBay · 19/10/2021 19:07

Unpopular opinion but Harry Potter.
The world in the books is huge and some of the books are so long and detailed, all of that gets lost in the films. See also the terrible child actors and rushed plots.

DockOTheBay · 19/10/2021 19:08

@NatMoz

Oh yes agree with this. The whole point of the books is that he stands out of the crowd and people remember him, not an unassuming normal man
tradition · 19/10/2021 19:08

Atonement, my fav book but the film was dire. And yes I do blame Keira Knightly

jesusmaryjosephandtheweedonkey · 19/10/2021 19:11

Silence of the Lambs... can't get past the different ending

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.