My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Films

Books that just didn't work as films......

155 replies

fifteenmillionmerits · 19/10/2021 01:45

The Hobbit was a book I loved as a child. When Jackson made the film, it just didn't do it justice IMO. Overused CGI, long dragging scenes...we gave up after the first hour and that was that.

OP posts:
Keladrythesaviour · 19/10/2021 21:56

Mr Popper's Penguins. Turned from a beautiful classic children's book into a crude, silly and limp version.
I put off watching it for ages as I hold the book so dear, but finally gave in. What a travesty.

Harpydragon · 19/10/2021 22:02

Eragon by christopher paolini. Fabulous book, shite film!

The first dune film

SoItWas · 19/10/2021 22:20

Seventh son. Great source material (the spooks apprentice) and an awesome cast, but the movie was crap.

DrCoconut · 19/10/2021 22:28

For the ultimate Hollywood ised ending that completely changes the story watch the Scarlet Letter. And cringe at the casting while you're watching.

Herecomesthesun70 · 19/10/2021 22:55

@NatMoz

The Jack Reacher films but just because the books suggest Jack Reacher is 6 foot 5 and a completely strapping army man.

Tom Cruise on the other hand is a weedy dweeb

That's exactly what I was going to say. You get an image in your head of Reacher and it's not Tom Cruise
Barwell76 · 19/10/2021 23:14

A Walk in the Woods based on the Bill Bryson book is dreadful.

The book was good because it was mostly interesting and funny factual information about the wildlife, nature, the history of the Appalachian trail.
The film just concentrates on some unfunny chat between Bryson and his friend. Also Bryson was early 40s in the book and Robert Redford was in his 70s, so had a theme of ageing which wasnt present in the book, plus Redford played him as a grumpy git.

LanisHouseLot · 20/10/2021 00:54

Yes to A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson. It was alright as a stand alone film but it was absolutely was not the film of that book. Every single actor was all wrong for the part too.

And yes to Eragon too, although was not passable as a stand alone film, that was diabolical.

DesdamonasHandkerchief · 20/10/2021 00:59

I stumbled across the film of 'I Capture The Castle' when it was being shown late one night a few months ago. I have to say I rather enjoyed it, but then anything with Bill Nighy in gets an up tick from me.
I read the book a few years ago and liked it, but it's not a favourite, so maybe my expectations were lower.

LanisHouseLot · 20/10/2021 01:01

I've just remembered the film based on HG Wells' The Time Machine which inexplicably stared Samantha Mamba. It is one of those bad films that is so bad it miraculously becomes entertaining for its dreadfulness.

LanisHouseLot · 20/10/2021 01:02

*Mumba, not Mamba

ZaZathecat · 20/10/2021 01:24

Chocolat.
It had none of the story in the book.

bizzey · 20/10/2021 01:31

Another one here agreeing with
"My sister's keeper".
Read the book ?15 ish years ago (when it came out )
Still rankles me now ,how they ruined it in the film

Becca19962014 · 20/10/2021 02:12

Dark is rising needed to be the entire sequence. One book simply wasn’t going to work, even if it was done right. I didn’t even watch it, huge fan, the ONLY good thing was the hardback edition of all the books that was released.

The hobbit, as a friend of mine put it, was what fast forward was invented for - used right trilogy can be seen in about two hours. I love the book and lotr, went to see the first then spent hours after with friend finding the actual parts that were hobbit not from samarillion which I hate as a book as did she. We didn’t go to see parts 2 and three. And there’s NO excuse for the shoddy cgi either.

The new adaptions of Disney’s lion witch and wardrobe etc are dire. The ONLY thing I can thank them for is the hours spent watching with a friend in her last weeks of terminal cancer where we had a thoroughly good time ripping them to bits. We did also watch the bbc ones from the 90s which we both loved and I own on dvd.

Lorw · 20/10/2021 02:41

50 shades (don’t come for me) I actually really enjoyed the books (not because of the smut Wink) and thought the films were a proper let down, they missed out so much Sad

wellerhugs5 · 20/10/2021 09:41

The Dark Tower.
The film was a total travesty. The books were in a different league.
I was so very disappointed 😔

Tiramiwho · 20/10/2021 09:45

The Time Travellers wife. Absolutely adore the book. The film was utter rubbish.

DuckonaBike · 20/10/2021 20:42

Late to the thread, but I have to say Girl with a pearl earring. They changed the ending! And the book’s ending is great! Also every time I saw Vermeer I thought “That’s Colin Firth in a wig.”

I agree with Clandestin about the film of I Capture the Castle.

WhatsTheEffingPoint · 20/10/2021 21:33

@DockOTheBay
Agreed. I have been listening to the HP Audio books and i forgot how much is not in the films that imho should be as it explains so much more of the story

I also agree with PS. I Love you - the film just didnt make you connect in the emotional way the book does.

Books are always better, they just carry so much more detail then the films can portray.

SaturdaySummer · 20/10/2021 22:47

@TheLightSideOfTheMoon

The second Bridget Jones book; they missed out SO much good stuff.

They should’ve made it a series so they weren’t time constraints.

Completely agree!
CalmConfident · 20/10/2021 22:54

Skimmed the thread but not mentioned yet….the horror that was world war Z

The book would make a perfect Netflix series, the film was dreadful!

NeedWineNow · 24/10/2021 10:21

Agree with so many on this thread.

DH is a great fan of the Jack Reacher books and was astounded when he heard that Tom Cruise was playing him. films were ok as that sort of genre goes, but no way was Cruise ever Reacher.

I have to say I liked Antonement though.

The Harry Potter films miss out so much of the story, and I still maintain the end of the last one was such a let down. The whole crux was that everyone should see Harry defeat Voldemort and yet they set it outside with just those two fighting it out.

And don't get me started on the travesty that was Les Mis with Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.

MiloAndEddie · 27/10/2021 12:07

The da Vinci code - Tom hanks was all wrong

Agree about the beach, fabulous book but a terrible film.

Also a series of unfortunate events. Good books (as a kid) and the film was dire

Kanaloa · 27/10/2021 12:33

@MiloAndEddie

The da Vinci code - Tom hanks was all wrong

Agree about the beach, fabulous book but a terrible film.

Also a series of unfortunate events. Good books (as a kid) and the film was dire

There’s also a series now though! I watched it with ds & dd but to be honest we didn’t love it. I felt each individual episode was way too long/dragged on. I do get that a lot with Netflix stuff though.
tradition · 29/10/2021 21:20

[quote WhatsTheEffingPoint]@DockOTheBay
Agreed. I have been listening to the HP Audio books and i forgot how much is not in the films that imho should be as it explains so much more of the story

I also agree with PS. I Love you - the film just didnt make you connect in the emotional way the book does.

Books are always better, they just carry so much more detail then the films can portray.[/quote]
Actually I can think of a couple of books where the fil was better. The Color Purple for one. I loved the film but the book just seemed bland.

DoctorSnortles · 30/10/2021 01:02

Skellig by David Almond. The book is very beautiful. The film is pure shite. I was appalled and wondered if the director and producers had actually read the book.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.