My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Films

Very shocked...jsut watched The Hills have eyes......

129 replies

mrcandmre · 28/08/2006 21:41

Has to be the most horrible thing I have ever seen. Do not watch if you are easily disturbed!

I had to turn it off!
Plus the fact that it had a baby in didn't help....that was a little close to the mark

OP posts:
southeastastra · 29/08/2006 14:03

i think japanese type horror films have made 'gore' more mainstream now.

desperateSCOUSEwife · 29/08/2006 14:04

no I would agree with that seastra,
but slasher films have been out for years like nightmare on elm street, hellraiser and all that crappy genre

redbull · 29/08/2006 14:04

i watched stephen kings it when i was 14 and it scared the crap out of me even to this day i hate clowns!!!

but this coming from the girl who is scared of disneys hocus pocus

southeastastra · 29/08/2006 14:07

that's why i prefer horrors from the 70s and earlier (not including texas chainsaw type things). stephen king is great for a build up but the ending always lets him down. It for example in the end the 'thing' is a blinking big monster type thing, silly. John Carpenter's films are great, The Fog and The Thing.

desperateSCOUSEwife · 29/08/2006 14:09

seastra yes, imo john carpenter is very good,
it is not the gore that bothers me
as long as it has a very scary story behind it
also believable to a point
that something like that could happen

mumfor1standfinaltime · 29/08/2006 14:17

Saw 'the hills have eyes' a few weeks ago. I must say that I found it the most frustrating horror film I have ever seen!
I jusy couldn't see the point in the story line!
why were these people acting the way they were?? So they had been living in an area which had been tested for nuclear weapons etc, but why does this make them eat people? Who knows maybe it would!
The only bit I didn't like was the way the father died and the way the mother of the baby died. I had a feeling the baby would be rescued and nothing happened to the baby, a young girl seemed to look after it most of the time it was kidnapped and she kept her safe.

I do like a horror movie and I especially like ones with twists, turns and investigations. I like things like 'the hole' 'stir of echoes' the slightly less gorey stuff. I am thinking of hiring out hostel.

desperateSCOUSEwife · 29/08/2006 14:19

hostel is good mum1st
goriness is more than usual but a bit lame imo

but the storyline behind it
is very scary imo

misdee · 29/08/2006 14:27

The Hole is good.

mumfor1standfinaltime · 29/08/2006 14:32

Think I may hire it out this weekend. I love the hole! Very mind bending!

mumfor1standfinaltime · 29/08/2006 14:34

Does anyone know the name of the Alfred Hitchcock film where a woman was buried alive in a coffin with the man who was supposed to recue her?

Angeliz · 29/08/2006 14:57

expat, being a wee bit paranoid here but why have you quoted me?

southeastastra · 29/08/2006 15:01

i don't know that one mumfor1 but another buried alive one is 'the vanishing' very scary and was originally Dutch but remade (with a less scary ending) are you thinking of that one? a couple go on a road trip and the girlfriend disappears at the gas station?

expatinscotland · 29/08/2006 15:11

Yes, and I agree w/you 100%, Angeliz!

The world's a nasty enough place as it is w/o all this stuff.

Angeliz · 29/08/2006 15:13

Absolutely.

The sickest part for me is, yes that film might be make beleive but we all know it happens.

expatinscotland · 29/08/2006 15:19

I just find it pitiful that this is what 'fantasy' counts for nowadays.

Sorry, but that's whacked and jacked up.

cupcakes · 29/08/2006 15:19

"but that is what horror films are all about

to rile the imagination with unspeakable things

as to "being wrong with todays society"

these things have happened from the dawn of man

imagine a film of vlad the impaler, now that would be gory
and historical fact"

But why do you want these images in your head? Why do they need to be out there in society? How does anyone's imagination benefit from sick images?
I would watch a film about Vlad but I would not pay to see the darkness of someone's demented imaginings.
I really just don't get it.

southeastastra · 29/08/2006 15:36

well if you don't like them don't watch them! i can't stand chickflicks they make me heave.

UCM · 29/08/2006 17:17

This looks bloomin scary to me. Adrift..

Watched the trailer here

desperateSCOUSEwife · 29/08/2006 17:20

cupcakes if you dont like them, dont watch
I happen to like them
maybe it is the criminologist in me

I also cannot stand chickflicks and teenage shite like american pie
they are just dross

Saturn74 · 29/08/2006 17:22

UCM - just watched the 'Adrift' trailer - looks good! Anyone watched 'Flight Plan'? I really enjoyed that - great thriller.

cupcakes · 30/08/2006 08:39

Idon't watch them.
I am genuinely interested though in why people do like them. Is it the scare factor or the gore?

mumfor1standfinaltime · 30/08/2006 09:41

Southeastastra - I'm not thinking of the vanishing (although that is good too). I'm thinking of a film where a woman is in prison and she wants to get out. She speaks to a black man who works in the prison I think he digs graves?! too and he promises to put her in a coffin and bury her and dig her up later.
All goes to plan except when she lights a match in the coffin the man is lying next to her dead!!

I saw it when I was young, so can't remember much more.

nutcracker · 30/08/2006 09:47

I used to really like horror films, watched all the nightmare on elm street ones as a teenager, and the haloween ones etc etc, but now I seem to be a bit wimpy and will only the incredibly shite horror films on the horror channel which are hilarious.

Definatly don't like the sound of The hills have eyes.

Lauriefairycake · 07/10/2006 12:18

For mumfor1standfinal - it was a 'Tales of the Unexpected' that you saw cos I remember it too - it ended with some guy staring into camera and commenting on him being trapped in the box - still remember the match striking and seeing the black guy in there too. (creepy) Think it was based on a Stephen King novella

AshtonLaMont · 13/10/2006 11:25

...was pleasantly suprised by the 'hills' remake....the majority (oh, go on then, all) of 'remakes' and 're-imaginings' recently have been diabolical, but this was a return to the bleak intensity of the 1970's horror genre by a director that clearly understands it....anyone who's not seen it should check out the directors (Alexandre Aja) first movie 'haute tension'....a pretty intense little french thriller....

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.