Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Headphones for swimming

blowingagail · 06/02/2022 18:22

I’m sure this must have been done before but a search doesn’t produce anything useful.

I’m swimming again after a break and find it so boring that I want to give up after 20 lengths, so want something to play music on.

I’ve googled and read a few comparisons but would love recommendations from someone who has got something they love.

Bluetooth would be ok as I leave my phone poolside - lots seem to be MP3 players which wouldn’t work with Apple Music but I could manage with my old bought library if I had to.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BogRollBOGOF · 06/02/2022 22:19

I've got a Decalthon waterproof MP3 player.
Works well.

Best not to have sing-along songs on it though Grin

Please
or

Leftbutcameback · 06/02/2022 22:43

I've read lots of reviews and nothing seems to be worth the cost. Quite interested in the Decathlon one now pp mentions it - I love decathlon!

Please
or

Pucarbuile · 06/02/2022 22:52

I love my decathlon mp3 player. Also just bought a pair of tozo 10 ear buds which claim to be ip8 rated so properly waterproof but haven't tried them yet.

Please
or

blowingagail · 07/02/2022 07:02

Thanks, I’ll give those ear buds a go first as they’re Bluetooth. They’ll stay in under my hat.

The decathlon thing looks good too.

Both these things are great for having a go - £25 instead of £140 is very appealing 😂.

OP's posts:
Please
or

lljkk · 07/02/2022 07:29

following... I tried bone conduction ones that didn't work for me -- distorted sound & it changed strongly whether my head was in or out of water, so constantly cycling volume & tones.

Please
or

HalfShrunkMoreToGo · 07/02/2022 07:32

Bluetooth doesn't work well in water, you'll find you lose the connection every time your ears go beneath the surface, even with the swimming cap over them.

I have the Sony Walkman waterproof MP3 which is like a headband with the earpieces built in. It's a bit odd to get used to as you have to remember where all the buttons are on the earpieces and it feels a bit awkward to get on brut once you've practiced a bit it does the job really well.

Please
or

MehMahMoo · 07/02/2022 07:33

Bluetooth from phone on side won't work as you're in water. I have some from Amazon i360, which is Bluetooth (which I use when running or around the house), and mp3. I never found them great to be honest as usually one ear or other would get wet then the sound was distorted/cut in that ear, but no problem with the device itself.

Please
or

BogRollBOGOF · 07/02/2022 07:37

@Leftbutcameback

I've read lots of reviews and nothing seems to be worth the cost. Quite interested in the Decathlon one now pp mentions it - I love decathlon!

That's why I tried the Decathlon, I could afford for it not to be great compared to the next ones I could find online.

I use it while open water swimming. I can't hear anything in the surroundings through 3 swimming hats anyway 😂
Please
or

TheWestIsTheBest · 07/02/2022 07:37

Why have I never thought of this? I do loads of swimming and would love to listen to audiobooks so any recommendations mucg appreciated.

Please
or

itwasntaparty · 07/02/2022 07:40

I've got the speedo aqua beat. Clips on the back of my goggles - love it!.

Please
or

itsgettingweird · 07/02/2022 07:44

My ds has a decathlon one. But it is MP3. I like the idea of downloading audio books!

Please
or

blowingagail · 07/02/2022 07:45

I've seen the Sony ones HalfShrunk, Argos sell them but they're out of stock everywhere near me and not available for delivery. At £80, they're reasonably priced.

I've got loads of decent bluetooth earphones but non waterproof. I get that they won't work underwater but breaststroke is currently my stroke while I rehab my shoulder so I'm prepared to give it a go and see how for £22.

I've presumed that you can't download audible and Apple Music to a computer and transfer it to a MP3 player, otherwise I'd go for the Decathlon option.

OP's posts:
Please
or

blowingagail · 07/02/2022 07:47

I saw the speedo one party but it isn't available anymore.

OP's posts:
Please
or

blowingagail · 07/02/2022 07:48

Look at this. Look at the price 😬.

OP's posts:
Please
or

backinthebox · 07/02/2022 07:55

DH has a tayogo MP3 player. He left his first one beside a lake somewhere in lockdown, and asked for a replacement for Christmas. His first one was black, we got him the bright yellow one for the replacement so he doesn’t find it as easy to lose! He said the only annoying thing about it was getting the music onto it, but it works fine once you’ve got your music on it. They are pricey on Amazon, but cheaper at this website but take a bit longer to arrive. Swimming MP3 player

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 07/02/2022 07:56

I have the Finis bone conduction MP3 player as I just can't keep earbuds in from the Sony ones. They work fine, but have the most stupid charger that needs treating with kid gloves. But music does make the boring pool swimming for hours pass sooner

Please
or

extractorfactor · 07/02/2022 08:02

I've got a Speedo mp3 and headphones. Clips to my swimming costume and been good for four years swimming three times a week (apart from the two lockdowns) good battery life and sound quality.

Please
or

bruffin · 07/02/2022 08:12

Ive got the Finis DUO as well and the best I have had. I had a lot of cheap swimming MP3 from amazon and ebay and they dont really last very long whereas Ive had my Finis for years. Agree the charger is a bit of a pain.

I also bought these as a back up , but havent managed to use them properly yet as the air conditioning blew up in our pool and its been closed since July. Going on holiday in a couple of weeks so will give them a go there
www.onbuy.com/gb/8gb-waterproof-mp3-player-swimming-headphone~c3235~p22266391/?exta=gshp&stat=eyJpcCI6IjI5LjMyMDAiLCJkcCI6bnVsbCwibGlkIjoyOTg2MTkyOCwicyI6bnVsbCwidCI6MTY0NDE4ODI0NSwiYm1jIjoiMTAuMCJ9&lid=29861928&gclid=CjwKCAiAo4OQBhBBEiwA5KWu_yK8Elhd1ev_0jfJM_9KQKDZCDq__gicCnoVSLvI7Np_IDlsZSlsnBoCIiAQAvD_BwE

Please
or

Leftbutcameback · 07/02/2022 10:27

Looks like the Decathlon one is hit or miss according to reviews. Currently £25 so have ordered one to give it a go

Please
or

Leftbutcameback · 13/02/2022 20:51

Thought I'd come back with a review - just used the decathlon ones for the first time. Easy to charge and set up. Very impressed. Loved swimming to music. No idea if they'll last but worth a try.

Please
or

elizabethdraper · 13/02/2022 20:56

Aftershozs all the way

Please
or

Wnkingawalrus · 13/02/2022 20:56

I’ve tried various things and given up, but I’m not very tech savvy.

I had a waterproof iPod shuffle which was awesome, used plug in waterproof headphones which were ok. Can remember what happened to that but somewhere along the line it disappeared and I don’t think I could get a replacement.

I thought a Fitbit that played music would be the answer but as others have noted Bluetooth headphones don’t really work in the water.

Tried an MP3 player but struggled to find music I could put on there as I only really use Spotify now.

Would love a solution that works with Spotify if anyone has one?

Please
or

ruthieness · 13/02/2022 21:14

I have had the decathlon one for years - very happy with it!
It does need a bit of effort to make sure that it is fitted so you don't knock it out with your stroke but I think this is just a matter of working out what works for you

Please
or

Leftbutcameback · 14/02/2022 10:50

@ruthieness - I don't think I put that much energy into swimming! I clipped mine onto the goggles just behind ear, and the wire is behind my neck so seems to work ok.

Please
or

LP23 · 10/05/2022 16:09

Is this the decathlon one you're talking about? It's £38 so I'm not sure?!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.